Search
Like Tree321Likes

Yokomo BD9

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 07:57 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I don't understand either. You have guys now cutting chassis plates on titanium (heavier than aluminum) and now you guys have really light magnesium....
Old 01-30-2019, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
I don't understand either. You have guys now cutting chassis plates on titanium (heavier than aluminum) and now you guys have really light magnesium....
I would guess they are playing with materials that have different E's (Young's modulus or modulus of elasticity). The lower the E, the more the material flexes under strain. So Aluminum is 10.2 and an easy way to make the chassis more flexible is to use Magnesium that has an E of 6.4. Conversely, an easy way to make the chassis stiffer is to make it from Titanium that has an E of 16.5.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by glennhl
I would guess they are playing with materials that have different E's (Young's modulus or modulus of elasticity). The lower the E, the more the material flexes under strain. So Aluminum is 10.2 and an easy way to make the chassis more flexible is to use Magnesium that has an E of 6.4. Conversely, an easy way to make the chassis stiffer is to make it from Titanium that has an E of 16.5.
I guess as an alternative to graphite for asphalt racing it makes sense.
glennhl likes this.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:50 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Yes, understood on elasticity, but this could be manipulated with larger or smaller cutouts too for flex, along with thickness.
glennhl likes this.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan
In addition to the bigger flex the Mg alloys have much better inner damping and the reduced “noise” compare to aluminium alloys.
Disadvantage - less strength.
JeffC, Dan, iTz Nicholas72 and 2 others like this.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

I too do not see why Mg would be used. Yes it is harmonically more stable, but without extensive testing on cutout and shape in relation to handling changes, it would seem to be a poor idea. Aluminum is already easy to tweak with a hard crash. I cant imagine how a magnesium chassis with the same shape and cutouts would hold up in even a light crash. I would be more interested in a 7k or up series aluminum chassis plate with flex focused more in the front mid area. I am currently already adding 110 grams to my 21.5 chassis.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
I guess as an alternative to graphite for asphalt racing it makes sense.
You are correct. However, I personally would not run a magnesium chassis because it isn't as strong as 7075 aluminum. I would be afraid of it tweaking with any hard hit.'

EDIT: I posted this before I saw Oleg's and MidwestRacer's comments that already stated the strength issues. Man, there are a lot of really smart people on this forum!!! That's why I love this forum.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:06 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Magnesium is also flammable, should make all the lipo fires much more epic.
STLNLST, tbrymer, glennhl and 1 others like this.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Oleg Babich
In addition to the bigger flex the Mg alloys have much better inner damping and the reduced “noise” compare to aluminium alloys.
Disadvantage - less strength.
Kind of like fibreglass without the cg benefit.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
Magnesium is also flammable, should make all the lipo fires much more epic.
The chassis are coated in ceramic apparently.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The reason for the finish is:

Do not couple iron, nickel, titanium, copper–bearing
alloys, or 2000 or 7000 series aluminum alloys with
magnesium alloys. Dissimilar metal fasteners (i.e.,
cadmium plated bolts) or inserts, bushings, and
sleeves should be insulated by additional finishes on
assembly
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Hi, how is the car on asphalt, out of the box ??
Old 02-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

Quick opinion question for y'all. I haven't raced onroad in about 12 years. Im looking to get back into it but don't know which way to go regarding the aluminum chassis or carbon. The tracks near me are asphalt and also carpet. Which would you guys get?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by FPMX772
Quick opinion question for y'all. I haven't raced onroad in about 12 years. Im looking to get back into it but don't know which way to go regarding the aluminum chassis or carbon. The tracks near me are asphalt and also carpet. Which would you guys get?
If you plan to run the asphalt tracks, purchase a carbon chassis kit. Even on carpet, the carbon chassis is very good especially if it is low to medium grip level carpet. The aluminum chassis has really only been better on high grip black carpet with a very good run in groove. The lower CG and less flex makes the car carry more corner speed. From my experience, the aluminum chassis' make the car harder to get set up on asphalt. The carbon chassis has a much larger window to find a fast and easy to drive setup.
carkillaii and chiefj48 like this.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MidwestRacer
If you plan to run the asphalt tracks, purchase a carbon chassis kit. Even on carpet, the carbon chassis is very good especially if it is low to medium grip level carpet. The aluminum chassis has really only been better on high grip black carpet with a very good run in groove. The lower CG and less flex makes the car carry more corner speed. From my experience, the aluminum chassis' make the car harder to get set up on asphalt. The carbon chassis has a much larger window to find a fast and easy to drive setup.
makes sense, thanks for the input!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.