Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Congratulations E.J, and to Jason again, well done.

Were there any major changes to the cars?... or just 08 kits?

Did all of you guys run the carpet flex chassis or just standard?... i noticed that on Josh's car... but he was running Foam.

Cheers,

Robbie
Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xray racer
Congratulations E.J, and to Jason again, well done.

Were there any major changes to the cars?... or just 08 kits?

Did all of you guys run the carpet flex chassis or just standard?... i noticed that on Josh's car... but he was running Foam.

Cheers,

Robbie
Hi Robbie,

No major changes to the car just a few upgrades. We all ran the 08 kit. Jason, Vincent, and I used the 3.5mm chassis while Josh and Niels used the carpet flex pro upgrade. Josh also had a chassis with the batteries more forward which is desirable for foam tires on carpet. All of us used the 17 tooth upgrade center pulley.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Cool, Thanks for that E.J.

I'm waiting for my 08 kit from our Australian supplier to arrive hopefully tomorrow and get stuck into building it. Can't wait to turn some laps.

Cheers,

Robbie
Old 02-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Addict

Cool, Thanks for that E.J.

I'm waiting for my 08 kit from our Australian supplier to arrive hopefully tomorrow and get stuck into building it. Can't wait to turn some laps.

Cheers,

Robbie
Let us know how it goes!

If you get a chance, get the alum diff (replace the thrust bearing with a tamiya or cyclone one) and some carbon fiber arms.

The kit springs are really good for asphalt.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

E.J

Yeh i've got the Alloy diff, kept it from my previous Scythe, and i've got a Tamiya thrust bearing in it. More or less Updating my chassis is all

You say to get some Carbon Graphite arms, wondering what effect they have on the car???... do they increase responsiveness or something along the lines of???

My first time out in the car last year though, the kit springs understeered like there was no tomorrow, however i had changed front drive to a spool, i'm assuming you meant kit springs work with the original one-way?...

I've a set of HPI springs coming also, have to start trying to convert from the TOP springs.

Do you run the Low profile shock towers or standard???...

Sorry to ask so many questions, but thanks very much for your help thus far, its much appreciated. I'm still getting my head around this car, coming from Xray.

Cheers,

Robbie
Old 02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
Hi Robbie,

No major changes to the car just a few upgrades. We all ran the 08 kit. Jason, Vincent, and I used the 3.5mm chassis while Josh and Niels used the carpet flex pro upgrade. Josh also had a chassis with the batteries more forward which is desirable for foam tires on carpet. All of us used the 17 tooth upgrade center pulley.
Interesting to see you used the 3.5mm chassis for rubber. Is that just because of the amount of grip at the 'birds or do you use it elsewhere too?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Interesting to see you used the 3.5mm chassis for rubber. Is that just because of the amount of grip at the 'birds or do you use it elsewhere too?
I recently changed to the crpet flex chassis and noticed overall performance of the chassis is the same or better on all tracks I have been to since. This was compared to a full soft chassis (all plastic bulkheads).
Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The CFP kit is a 2.5mm chassis though right(albeit the US version, not the kit one)? Are you running it with the standoffs or without?

I guess I can always try the 3.5mm chassis and compare.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello Everyone,

I finished 5th in stock and 3rd in 19 turn. Stock I had no motor, but in 19 turn we ran brushless where speed was more equal and it showed the potential of the car.

I want to congratulate Jason Ertrachter for also making the main in both 19 turn (outlaw) and stock rubber. I think Jason had a chance of winning in both classes!

Jason and I ran similar setups, HPI Gold springs up front and HPI Silver in the rear. I'll put a setup sheet together and post it, the car was dialed. Not sure what Kenny's setup was, I think it was pretty close to ours. His car was pretty good too.

I'm putting together a press release for Josh, should have it up here in a couple days.

HVAC25000, I replied to your email. Sorry for the delay.
I also was at the birds and spent a lot of time looking at Josh's car....
I've decided to make the old X-ray T-2 a Trans-AM car and get a new electric car. This one caught my eye but some concerns I have is the price of the kit and spare parts. I alos wonder when they'll be available in a timely manner..

I did check the use webpage and the "coming soon" news was on it....
Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
I also was at the birds and spent a lot of time looking at Josh's car....
I've decided to make the old X-ray T-2 a Trans-AM car and get a new electric car. This one caught my eye but some concerns I have is the price of the kit and spare parts. I alos wonder when they'll be available in a timely manner..

I did check the use webpage and the "coming soon" news was on it....
Shoot me an email at [email protected], I can address some of your concerns and questions.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Addict

E.J

Yeh i've got the Alloy diff, kept it from my previous Scythe, and i've got a Tamiya thrust bearing in it. More or less Updating my chassis is all

You say to get some Carbon Graphite arms, wondering what effect they have on the car???... do they increase responsiveness or something along the lines of???

My first time out in the car last year though, the kit springs understeered like there was no tomorrow, however i had changed front drive to a spool, i'm assuming you meant kit springs work with the original one-way?...

I've a set of HPI springs coming also, have to start trying to convert from the TOP springs.

Do you run the Low profile shock towers or standard???...

Sorry to ask so many questions, but thanks very much for your help thus far, its much appreciated. I'm still getting my head around this car, coming from Xray.

Cheers,

Robbie
Hey Robbie,

On high bite surfaces I think the harder arms are more consistent and easier to tune.

I use the kit springs with both a one way and spool with a lot of success. Last year Marc Mendoza finished just outside of the A at the Reedy Race. His car was very good and used the kit springs (running a spool).

I usually use the low profile towers with our springs and the stock towers with all other springs. At the birds I was able to use the low profile towers with HPI springs because Josh gave me some different spring retainers. But even with these retainers I was only able to get down to 4.5mm ride height.

I'll post setup later today.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shoot me an email at [email protected], I can address some of your concerns and questions.
I thought I posted my concerns ( kit and parts available in USA )....

I'm looking at 3 cars and I really like the design of the Scythe car.. And I should thank Josh for taking the time to talk about it at the birds... He was one busy person but took the time and effort to answer any/all questions I had....
Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nova - All of the breakables are either HPI or Yokomo, so should you not be able to source them directly you will have no trouble sourcing them elsewhere.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Robbie,

On high bite surfaces I think the harder arms are more consistent and easier to tune.

I use the kit springs with both a one way and spool with a lot of success. Last year Marc Mendoza finished just outside of the A at the Reedy Race. His car was very good and used the kit springs (running a spool).

I usually use the low profile towers with our springs and the stock towers with all other springs. At the birds I was able to use the low profile towers with HPI springs because Josh gave me some different spring retainers. But even with these retainers I was only able to get down to 4.5mm ride height.

I'll post setup later today.
I dont think i have ever raced on a track the yanks would call high bite, so the kit arms are much better.

Also if you get some HPI shock part trees, you can use the HPI shock bottoms and retainers, you will have no problem using any type of spring, even with the lowered towers.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

I presume this is Cyruls car.

http://www.rc50.com/modules.php?name...bum=49&pos=375

From what i can see:
Kyosho Shocks
Different rear arms, Kyosho
Front knuckles, if not the whole arms are different, look like xray?
Machined the camber link mounts on the bulkhead caps, to lower the top link.

I wonder why the kyosho stuff was used, is it just cause he was comfortable with them from the old cars? Josh, saw you lurking around earlier, care to add?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.