Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Far too much time on your hands Vercoe.. hahaha.. but nicely pointed out!

That must be your secret, you STUDY the cars of the Pro's, in order to drive like them!!!

Interesting about the machined bulkheads too, if Josh is helping develop the car i'm thinking thats one thing that'll be changed straight away... different upper bulkheads. Is there any difference between the standard bulkheads and the Carpet Flex Conversion kit... in terms of roll center???

The arms could be just to do with flex, perhaps the Kyosho's are much stiffer?... Xrays certainly are in comparison to the High Traction arms.

Those front knuckles could even be his own concoction, though they do resemble xray in some ways.

Never the less, all the HPI alloy parts fit... i've got the full set waiting in my pit box, just have to pay a visit to mr anondiser

Has josh got a Dragonfire set-up with the rear suspension mounts too?... not that it would afffect handling i dont think, but it looks cool, the seperate suspension mounts in the rear. Could be wrong though.

Cmon Josh... you've gotta be reading this haha

Cheers,

Robbie
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Hey Guys,

Need a little help, i'm in the middle of building up my 08 kit but i've forgotten which way to build the Alloy diff. I know its different to the plastic kit diff, but how so???

Do i still set it up the same way: Bolt, then spring, then thrust bearing???

Or is it the other way.

OR... is it internally the same, but the bolt goes through the opposite side compared to standard.

Anyway, hope you understand what im getting at, what an irritating thing to mix up haha

Thanks,

Robbie
Old 02-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Screw, short diff half, long diff half, thrust bearing, spring and finally nut in retainer.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

lucky i didnt build it the way i'd thought then!

I'm assuming thats for the alloy diff assembly?

Thanks Greasemonkey, Now back to building! haha

Cheers,

Robbie
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

There are no shims to put between the Diff Screw and the short half are there???
Old 02-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Addict

Wait, I think I screwed that up.

should be screw, thrust bearing, diff half, diff half, spring nut.

Edit: Now I can't remember. I'll go look at mine and get back to you.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry, I was right the second time.

screw, thrust bearing. short diff half, long diff half, spring, nut.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Haha... wish it was up on the website hey!?

Ok so you're SURE its screw, thrust bearing. short diff half, long diff half, spring, nut...???

Sorry, bit rude of me to be questioning YOU when its my mistake in the first place... but we both sound in the same boat! lol

Thanks for your help though!

Cheers,

Robbie
Old 02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, I went and checked my diff. I remember it being the same as the tamiya diffs.

I'm actually trying to upload a picture but the internet is being unfriendly.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

Ohk thanks... i'll give that a go.

I wish i'd kept that little sheet that came with the Alloy Diff kit now

Cheers, thanks again

Robbie
Old 02-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Besercoe
I dont think i have ever raced on a track the yanks would call high bite, so the kit arms are much better.
Bradd, agree that our tracks are nowhere near the "high bite" classification, but I have been running the hard arms for some time and actually prefer them.

Chris
Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xray racer
Has josh got a Dragonfire set-up with the rear suspension mounts too?... not that it would afffect handling i dont think, but it looks cool, the seperate suspension mounts in the rear. Could be wrong though.
There is no difference between the sperate type and the normal zero mounts. I use them so as to avoid rubbing against the belt if I lift the blocks, something I do on the rear quite often.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Adept

Scythe 2008 Carpet-Flex Pro Conversion Kit
[PO-SCH101RD]

Have any of you guys been running this chassis, whats your thoughts on it, is it any good pros and cons with it etc?? how does it race?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is there a carpet/asphalt version? Or can the same chassis be set up for both?

THX
Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello Everyone,

To answer a few of the questions:

#1 - I did use Xray suspension arms, castor blocks and steering blocks. These were not used so much from a performance standpoint but a safety standpoint as their parts are extremely durable for foam/carpet racing. With this being the first race with TOP, I wanted to have a good result with the car without the worry of the HPI arms, blocks, hubs breaking easily. I watched Hara break a lot of HPI parts last year and this concerned me so Vincent and EJ gave me the go ahead to use them for the race. We are working to adress this though as soon as possible. I tested here before the race and was actually quicker with the HPI parts but durability was my concern as I know if I had a bad result, both TOP and myself would take a beating online...lol..

#2 - I did use Kyosho shocks and differentials. Again, the main reason being that I had experience with them and I knew how to set them up for good performance and life. I have no doubt that that TOP shocks and aluminum differentials will work well but it was just one of those things were there was limited time and I needed to make sure I only had to learn/set-up a few items rather than start from the ground up with only a few days testing. If I remember correctly, the aluminum differential comes with a 2.0mm screw which I am sure I would break in Mod/Foam. In every other class raced it would be fine but again, being the first race I wanted to be sure to have no "break downs" and just focus on the set-up and being comfortable with the car.

#3 - I cut the bulkheads so I had more room to adjust the upper camber links as I just didn't have the experience with the car at the major events. I tested a little here before the event and I liked the lower rear inner link but at the race it was terrible. I think the main difference being that our track was low traction with Paragon and the Birds was super high traction with Jack the Gripper (really different balance and feel). In the end, I actually put the stock upper bulkheads back in the rear and ran the lowered ones in the front. Overall, the pivot ball was only .5mm lower than stock which could have been done with a shorter ball stud. The height of the camber link mounts is the same from the stock car to the Carpet Flex bulkheads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.