Wiki Posts
Search

Robitronic Avid Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Harry,

You should also take a look at some of the carpet setups they have on the sight. This will give you a good idea of what some of the popular changes are for getting the car to run on carpet. Look at a handful and see what the most popular settings are and base your starting setup around those. (caster, oil, springs, etc)

Here is the link to the setups setups
Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChristopherKee
Harry,

You should also take a look at some of the carpet setups they have on the sight. This will give you a good idea of what some of the popular changes are for getting the car to run on carpet. Look at a handful and see what the most popular settings are and base your starting setup around those. (caster, oil, springs, etc)

Here is the link to the setups setups
Hey Chris!

Thank you very much for the link!! I will most definitely use those while building the car.

I think we'll have a winning car in the making...

But seriously, DJGonzo69 has me all focused on what this redesign of the car is all about. Is there a source to where you got this information DJGonzo69?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Harry,
When I talked to Jeff at Speedtech he mentioned to me about the re-design/Upgrade for this car.

Setup- I use Tamiya Blue in the front with 60WT & Tamiya red with 40WT oil.
I use a oneway & front & rear swaybars.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DJGonzo69
Harry,
When I talked to Jeff at Speedtech he mentioned to me about the re-design/Upgrade for this car.

Setup- I use Tamiya Blue in the front with 60WT & Tamiya red with 40WT oil.
I use a oneway & front & rear swaybars.
Well, let's see what Jeff at Speedtech means if he posts here. Better yet, let's see what the official word from Robitronic-USA is.

Right now I am having buyer's remorse if I am purchasing an outdated chassis...
Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Harry,
Don't have buyers remorse. This car is a solid unique car. That's why I bought this. I wanted to be different & it actually improved my run times.
I ran it at the KO race & it got me a 6th place finish at the A-Mains. It got me a 4th place A-Main finish at the ROAR Region 12 race. With my other RC cars I would not even get on the A-Main. So I know it improved my driving.
I e-mailed the Robitronic guys in Austria & I'll post what they say.

-john
Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Harry,
Don't have buyers remorse. This car is a solid unique car. That's why I bought this. I wanted to be different & it actually improved my run times.
I ran it at the KO race & it got me a 6th place finish at the A-Mains. It got me a 4th place A-Main finish at the ROAR Region 12 race. With my other RC cars I would not even get on the A-Main. So I know it improved my driving.
I e-mailed the Robitronic guys in Austria & I'll post what they say.

-john
Oh wow, thank you! I appreciate that very much.

I usually like being unique in terms of what I like to race with, what I build, etc. The place I work at is very big into researching and developing new things. Due to NDA and security concerns, I cannot say where I work due to the nature of the environment I am in (yet we are allowed to post on forums on the internet...go figure). So buying something unique like the AVID is right up my alley in terms of being different and creating my own mold for myself.

As far as racing this car, I am very sure that this car is going to be right up there with Xray, Corally, AE, and the Cyclone (in terms of popularity) once I stick my combo and set it up. I perform better going faster than I do at going slow. Usually when things go slow, my mind goes crazy. When things go fast, my mind is at ease, along with my eye-hand coordination. Plus I am an AVID gamer... *cough cough*!

Let me know what you hear, Gonzo69, about what the nigh future holds for my car. The reason why I am feeling buyer's remorse is that I may be paying too much for an outdated chassis.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, now I hear that LiPo batteries may not fit because they will interfere with the steering? Furthermore, the silver driveshafts will need to be changed since the silvers bend too easily? Is this all true?

Why was none of this mentioned before...
Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

SK Motion will replace the stock universals if you contact them.
This was a known problem & Robitronics posted awhile back that they will replace the silver universals with the hardened universals. Harry sending you pics on how to fit the Lipo's.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Harry- I got word from Robitronics in Austria. Here is what they said about the new Avid...

"Hello,

There will be different news at our product range.
Further news at or after toy fair in Nürnberg.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Peter Grötz

e-mail: [email protected]

Robitronic Electronic Ges.m.b.H
Guntherstrasse 11
A - 1150 Vienna
Austria

Tel: +43-1-982 09 20
Fax: +43-1-982 09 21

VAT# : ATU 525 65 308
Homepage: www.robitronic.com"

So I guess we will have to wait after the Toy show in Nurnberg.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Harry- I got word from Robitronics in Austria. Here is what they said about the new Avid...

"Hello,

There will be different news at our product range.
Further news at or after toy fair in Nürnberg.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Peter Grötz

So I guess we will have to wait after the Toy show in Nurnberg.
Oh my, when is the toy show? Wouldn't this new chassis be tested right now in Thailand? :

Robitronic-USA and other team drivers for Robitronic AVID, is there a chassis plate that I could order and install on this car that will shift the LiPo battery out some and keep everything safe from rubbing on eachother? This LiPo battery from Gonzo69 look like they are just able to fit in. Is this new chassis going to be an upgrade kit for the current AVID? Sort of how Xray has their T2'007, 008, and 009?

From the pictures I saw that Gonzo69 sent, it looks like LiPo was not in mind for the Robitronic AVID. Is the new chassis going to have support for LiPo batteries? Adaptable to current AVID?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Toy fair in Nurnberg will be Feb 5-10th.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Rookie

As far as updates, there may be a few minor updates. Nothing is for sure or set in stone yet. It may be awhile before the final production is available to the public. If anything, about 95% will use the same parts.

There is no LiPo battery plate. People offset the battery closer to the outside. It runs perfect.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Robitronic-USA
As far as updates, there may be a few minor updates. Nothing is for sure or set in stone yet. It may be awhile before the final production is available to the public. If anything, about 95% will use the same parts.

There is no LiPo battery plate. People offset the battery closer to the outside. It runs perfect.
Well see, that is the thing. Gonzo69's picture showed his LiPo battery set as far outside as it could be, yet it looks like it was cramped still. Now I know that traditional NiMH/NiCD cells are roughly the same overall size as LiPo hard-case packs, but due to the boxy nature, it's taking up some very serious real-estate on the chassis that may cause issues. Gonzo69 said he had to do some modifications to ensure his steering was not affected and the pulley wheel did not get disturbed. Did he do something wrong?

Furthermore, is there another company that makes LiPo battery plates for this car, that I could possibly use to offset the LiPo on the chassis? Would a LiPo battery tray for an Xray TC work on the AVID?

Thanks for yoru time Robitronic and Gonzo69! My car comes in today and I am trying to get rid of any buyer's remorse I have right now.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Right side: original battery positioner
Left side: modified battery positioner
We just trimmed one of the tabs, so it is flush. this will prevent the battery from sliding forward.

Here is a picture of the battery positioner. The trimmed side is facing the outside. The tab end keeps the battery from shifting.

This picture shows you that the LiPo does not hit the steering.

This is the overall fitment of the LiPo. You will notice it sits flush with the chassis.

You should not have any interference with any components. If you have any concerns, feel free to call our office @ 949-705-6668. We will be glad to answer any questions that you may have.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Holy Slapnut! Those pics of your car look way different than what I saw from Gonzo69's email.

Could you show a picture from the top, down? I want to see how close you are to the pulley with the battery.

The email has been sent, James. Let me know what you think. And it definitely was great speaking with you over the phone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.