Search
Like Tree698Likes

Handout motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
if you guys think HANDOUT MOTORS is the answer -- why not hand out Silver Can Mabuchi Motors and use something like a $20.00 brushed ESC (whole thing under $50.00)

LIPOS don't NEED to be used strictly with Brushless Motors!
Silver can Mabuchi motors have much greater variation in performance (both in terms of tolerances between motors, and performance degradation over time) than brushless motors.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:43 AM
Tech Lord

But the Carson Cup motor has been a populair stock motor due close tolerances.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I like the handout class as long as the keeper of the motors is not racing the class.
miller tyme and Jack Kloeber like this.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

if you guys think HANDOUT MOTORS is the answer -- why not hand out Silver Can Mabuchi Motors and use something like a $20.00 brushed ESC (whole thing under $50.00)

LIPOS don't NEED to be used strictly with Brushless Motors!
Why do handout motors have to be slow and throwaway?
Theirs old Novak Vulcan 13.5/10.5 motors on a shelf somewhere that could be used or older 13.5orca ... All of these motors are about the same pace 17.5 is now . just can be gotten cheaper.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Why do handout motors have to be slow and throwaway?
Theirs old Novak Vulcan 13.5/10.5 motors on a shelf somewhere that could be used or older 13.5orca ... All of these motors are about the same pace 17.5 is now . just can be gotten cheaper.
because HANDOUTS are always aimed at the SLOWER classes --

and if they aren't cheap throw aways WHO PAYS FOR THEM?
Old 03-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Silver can Mabuchi motors have much greater variation in performance (both in terms of tolerances between motors, and performance degradation over time) than brushless motors.
I don't disagree -- but we aren't talking about "over time" we're talking HANDOUT at a given race -- at the end of that race ALL should be destroyed, the racer shouldn't OWN them --
Old 03-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

The only people winning in the usa are the motor manufacturers and tuners. The ets has a much smarter way of doing things with handouts etc. In nz f1 is 21.5 so you never really hear about motor complaints, but to me silver can 540j was still the most even racing. I havent changed motor in my f1 for 2 years (team powers).
scirocco14 and Lone Drifter like this.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

F1 WAS 21.5 here. Could blow the tires off of it with anything this side of CRC black carpet and Pit Shimizu 574/575 combo. It is my understanding that it went to 25.5 for the sake of field size and making them easier to drive. Seems to be a catch-22.
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
The only people winning in the usa are the motor manufacturers and tuners. The ets has a much smarter way of doing things with handouts etc. In nz f1 is 21.5 so you never really hear about motor complaints, but to me silver can 540j was still the most even racing. I havent changed motor in my f1 for 2 years (team powers).
When I was a kid racing 540J (in NZ) I always seemed to get a dud motor and was outmotored on the straights by a significant margin. Either that, or I just didn't know how to break it in. I still find the motor wars of today more even than the 540J days.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
F1 WAS 21.5 here. Could blow the tires off of it with anything this side of CRC black carpet and Pit Shimizu 574/575 combo. It is my understanding that it went to 25.5 for the sake of field size and making them easier to drive. Seems to be a catch-22.
Just curious, did switching to 25.5 increase the field size?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Just curious, did switching to 25.5 increase the field size?
drastically
Jack Kloeber likes this.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

People want the fastest motors, so 17.5 gets quicker, then it's too quick let's control things, people move down to 21.5, they want the hot motor there, let's control it again, ok, people move down to 25.5, and it starts all over.

Never forget that a certain ego comes with the ability to exert control over another person, it's a human failing, one we're all guilty of from time to time. The imposition of controls over another parties recreational activity is an expression of dominance in a very primal form. When tyre control is done, we look for something else to control, motors, from there, we look for something else, batteries, what rate people can charge a lipo at, and where does it snowball to from there?

We need to ask ourselves, why does the handout motor thing keep coming up? Are the people pushing for it actually participants in the class, or is it your resident mod driver trying to dictate how a 'lesser' class should operate?

Handout motors as a concept I can understand, the notion of close quarters racing with noone seemingly quicker than another is indeed appealing, but in any competitive sport or hobby people will always look for an edge. We can chase our tails controlling things by imposing draconian rules on people or we can encourage people to help the slower ones in the class come up to a speed that they may be at with support and tips, which should in time achieve the same goal, close quarters racing in a family friendly and fun atmosphere without the political stench in the background.

I know which I'd prefer.
el salvador likes this.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

WE WILL . but will only pay $40-60 per class at big events . but that means your not required to buy a $150 motor before going to the event and spending time trying to dial it in .....
get to race bolt it in apply spec gearing required and go race ! forget about the motor that just came out last week and is out of stock, that hot new rotor ,or it not passing cause the manufacturer isnt keeping tabs on the minimim resistance values...
i would prefer their rental motors and to keep them in check post tech keep tabs on motor temps .

but ill play wither way or attempt mod only and sell a few cars.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 AM
Tech Lord

This is the most stupiest reaction drivers against it can think of. If the choice of motor has to be made you can always choose 10.5T or even faster like 6.5T. No timing and blinky ESC makes it fast enough or isn't it?
jlfx car audio likes this.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

here is a question for you all -- assume two scenarios -- which do people prefer?

Scenario #1 (already seen in 2017/8) - you attend a race and participate in a handout class for the additional cost of about $50/class/event. this motor is new/all good things you hope for/etc. if the motor is wrecked (non functional) during the event the racer can buy one more additional motor for $50/class/event. the initial motor must be surrendered to the race promoter and will be returned at end of event (to prevent people from buying endless motors).

Scenario #2 (similar to what has been seen at Jackson RC & 360v2) - you attend a race and participate in a handout class for the additional cost of about $30/class/event. this motor is used, but has been evaluated in-between race events to be up to spec. if the motor is wrecked (non functional) during the event the racer must pay a fee (TBD) to get a different motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.