Search
Like Tree369Likes

4wd stadium trucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by kevinatfms
Stadium trucks under the ROAR rules do not allow a body separate rear wing.
I don't think they specifically say "no wings allowed", though I believe the term Spoilers and Wings are often used interchangeably as explained here:
https://wheelsnwings.wordpress.com/2...iler-and-wing/

To me it would be silly to exclude wings, however I can see the need for some tracks with Astroturf to require Lexan wings instead of the stock plastic wings to help protect from tearing the turf.

The ROAR rules also state a max of 4lbs for both 4wd and 2wd stadium truck.
All I see is a minimum weight of 1814g, there is no mention of a max weight

allow double shocks(HPI has 8 stock)
I don't see any restriction for number of shocks

Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

i just dusted off my crt.5 with the rc-monster conversion. Planning to put updated electronics as the the old feigo 10l and mamba esc are dated. Tearing it down to freshen up the oils and look for broken parts. Also want to see if a t5m body fits. I miss my converted optima mid from the 90s
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Always wanted one of those crt.5's; never ended up with one though. Have searched often for them but never much luck. I hope you're enjoying it!

As far as I can tell, the 22 SCT 2.0 rear end (arms/driveshafts/hubs/hingepins[outer]/tie rods) can be adapted; just waiting on my Xrays to sell.. have 3/2 more in parts. Who needs an XB4?! kidding. (not really but I'm not allowed to post stuff for sale here yet. Doh!)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billdelong
I don't think they specifically say "no wings allowed", though I believe the term Spoilers and Wings are often used interchangeably as explained here:
https://wheelsnwings.wordpress.com/2...iler-and-wing/

To me it would be silly to exclude wings, however I can see the need for some tracks with Astroturf to require Lexan wings instead of the stock plastic wings to help protect from tearing the turf.

All I see is a minimum weight of 1814g, there is no mention of a max weight

I don't see any restriction for number of shocks

I misread. Then with all this crazy crap being allowed, open it to SCT wheels.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aspiringracer
Most certainly; I have successfully transplanted xt2 rear arms/hubs/outer hingepins/driveshafts, the problem lies within the front drive shafts needing to be longer.
If they are made out of steel and you know how to solder, they can be extended with some brass (or steel) tubing.

These were extended with K&S brass tubing and you can see from the wear on the CVD pin "hole" how much they put up with without failing.

HappyGene and billdelong like this.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I misread. Then with all this crazy crap being allowed, open it to SCT wheels.
Then how is this different than SCT 4wd????

ST should be 2.2, as it always has since the days we ran J&G conversion kits on our RC10's.

Although then ST Developed out of the 2wd "Monster Truck" Class, of Blackfoots & Buggy conversions.
HappyGene likes this.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IF a true 4wd ST class were to come to birth. I would want and expect it to look just like it's 2wd little brother. The same way 2wd and 4wd SCT do. A 4wd ST shouldn't be a mini truggy..crazy cab forward body, buggy style wing, ect. Let alone SC wheels/tires or anything else besides the current 2wd ST wheel and tire combos.

IMO
HappyGene and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
IF a true 4wd ST class were to come to birth. I would want and expect it to look just like it's 2wd little brother. The same way 2wd and 4wd SCT do..

IMO
I completely agree with what I quoted. Keeping the true 1/10 2wd st look while gaining 4wd is the only thing I'm out to accomplish. One thing I've personally even been confused over is even if it doesn't use a buggy wing/mount, if said vehicle is derived from a buggy (especially a 3 diff platform) will it be a 1/10 truggy or 4wd stadium truck? I've been wondering is the wing so much of an issue as to make it a different class? I've set a wing/wing mount atop the t4 body on that Xray and it looked... Mean. Idk. One thing I know is that I will personally be sticking with 2.2 wheels and tires/2wd wheelbase/width approximately.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Then how is this different than SCT 4wd????

ST should be 2.2, as it always has since the days we ran J&G conversion kits on our RC10's.
Have you considered becoming a priest? Religion has a lot of use for people who think things should never ever change.

The main difference is that stadium trucks lack parachute bodies which could soften landings. Other than that, I suppose they're fundamentally the same -- but then, so are 2WD stadium trucks and SCTs, yet people still appreciate both styles of vehicles.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)

And are you the pastor for bicycle tires?
Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

All this talk is reminding me of what bodies/wings were allowed in the USGT/VTA classes all over again, things got so far out of hand that they started listing specific product numbers on an approved list and then the local RD started excluding some approved bodies at the national level because he felt they weren't in the spirit of the class <facepalm> I personally would want to avoid this headache and just go with the ROAR rules already listed.

Wheel selection is straight forward, and technically the Hyper 10TT "wing" fits within the measurements of the "spoiler" so I'm not seeing any problem there. Cab width/height requirements are also satisfied, there are no restrictions on where the cab may be placed. The ROAR rules are simple enough, no need to add extraneous restrictions, folks just need to come up with more creative ways to get ST wheels to fit when doing a conversion, simple as that.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

I'm all for the roar rules being what dictates the class, only seems fitting as they're there. I hope to see some conversions soon.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Seems like a Kyosho DBX VE would be a good conversion -- small knuckles look about the same size as Hyper TT knuckles, 1/9 scale is a little bigger than 1/10 buggy.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tsair
Seems like a Kyosho DBX VE would be a good conversion -- small knuckles look about the same size as Hyper TT knuckles, 1/9 scale is a little bigger than 1/10 buggy.
That was one of the first buggies that I looked at, but the wheelbase and length are both too long for ROAR spec

Originally Posted by DBX SPECIFICATIONS
Length: 18.7" (475mm)
Width: 11.8" (300mm)
Height: 6.1" (154mm)
Wheelbase: 12.6" (320mm)

Perhaps you might be able to shift the electronics around on the chassis and shorten the wheelbase/length by 35mm with a shortened center shaft and that might be doable:

Old 03-24-2017, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good find on the specs, thanks for figuring that out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.