Like Tree319Likes

4wd stadium trucks!

Old 03-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 4wd stadium trucks!

Am I the only guy who thinks a 4x4 1/10 stadium truck would be awesome? Sure we've had the hpi mt2 and the thundertiger sparrowhawk, heck even ofna went for it with the hyper tt. Problems with these options? Nothing truly track oriented. Hyper tt could be considered a track oriented car but it doesn't seem to steer well enough to please many. I've taken an 14 spec Xray xb4 and stuck DE racing t4 wheels on it; rear axles on front driveshafts with extended rear hexes pushes the width out around 12". Haven't had a chance to make it to a track yet but I'm anxious to get out there. I know a member here has put hyper tt wheels on their 22-4 2.0 (Tsair from ultimaterc) and it looked ready to rock! With today's modern brushless technology and Lipo batteries able to feed the demand of 4wd short course trucks, I think there is a possibility for 4wd stadium truck to be embraced. Please share your opinions/tips/comments.
Gump and Jack302 like this.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

2wd stadium truck is easily my favorite class that I've ever run. I would go hog wild if a 4wd stadium truck class emerged
Jack302 and GTRider like this.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Like the Yokomo MR4-MT, and HPI RS4-MT?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

The hyper 10tt was an awesome class..........back when we had a class for them. Would love to see it make a comeback!
LostCoastCrawl likes this.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe Tekno will make a ET410!

BTW, the 22T-4 truggy wasn't a real thing, I never figured out how to get the wheels spaced evenly front/rear.
Teamhotrods and xfbaap like this.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

King; I'll be starting to race 2wd stadium truck this season, looking forward to it! Had a rustler as my second rc as a kid, loved the way it looked but always desired 4wd.

1/8 IC fan; never heard of the yokomo before! Will have to check that out!

Harry; I was so close to getting one until I did more research and found out the class was solely a hyper tt class, with no other vehicles fitting roar limits/rules;combined with the scare of whether or not the platform would still be supported. That being said, support concerns are no longer an issue meaning I may end up with one eventually just because.

Tsair; crazy because I just (within the past week) got my hands on a 22-4 and a 22-4 2.0 as well. Something I've been looking forward to getting very much. Due to xray parts being so luxuriously priced I've ditched my xt4 plans and have dedicated my future plans to the 22-4 series. I think the sct (not sure what iteration yet) rear end will actually be the hot ticket using t4.1 wheels in front with standard offset rims in back, play with hexes for fine tuning.

For anyone out there with an Xb4 looking to try their shot at a 4wd stadium truck conversion, I can tell you this.
Xt2 rear arms/dogbones/hubs/axles are a direct fit. However, the distance between the hinge pins is shorter on the 2wd, which really makes the rear end wide. Not a bad thing or even pushing roar limits but it makes it alot harder to even up the front track width to match. Using rear axles in front leaves about 3mm play between the bearings in the hub and the pin slot. This aids in helping widen the front but you will still need t4.1 offset wheels at minimum to get close to matching rear width. Also, front xray xt2 arms are almost a direct fit, but they will need approx. 5mm in shims, and durability may be questionable? Hinge pin hole to hub pin hole on xb4 arm is 72mm/xt2 arm is 91mm. You would need a 100mm bone for it to be drop in; and Xray probably makes one (think center driveshafts for all the different xb4 iterations) but they use 6mm ball ends instead of 6.8mm ball ends like their wheel driveshafts use. I found this out the hard way (120$ in driveshafts anyone?) Although I quickly thought of a possible solution. Center diff outdrives. Use them in the front diff (provided they will work in f/r diff applications) and then it would just be a matter of steering links and camber links for the front. And body mounts. I'll post some pics up here to show what I did soon enough; just hope I provide a spark big enough for some to try to convert their old wheelers to 1/10 truggies/st's and give the hyper tt some competition.

Worth mentioning; I think we can cheat and do this on almost any wheeler... just use t4.1 wheels and 10mm/15mm/18mm hub extensions from hot racing or the likes out back to even up the front and rear. I'll be trying this 12$ method soon enough.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Like the Yokomo MR4-MT, and HPI RS4-MT?
Yes, I actually had an HPI rs4-mt probably ten years ago if not longer, got it from a buddy and never managed to get it built right (fried motor x2 passed it on after that) but man! I can't believe that I didn't put 2 and 2 together that I quite literally owned one of the earliest one of these cars mentioned that falls into the 4wd st category. Awesome!

Edit: the more I ponder this concept the more I wonder if scte 3.0 arms and driveshafts would work for equally widening out a 22-4...

Last edited by aspiringracer; 03-08-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I love this idea and it is something that I have thought about as well. 2wd ST are fun and a 4wd would be amazing. I would think that on potential hurdle is the ST tend to be about 10mm longer than the buggies. Recently purchased a B64D and that leaves me with what to do with my 22/4 because it probably isn't worth too much at this point and the fact that it is a 1.0 doesn't help things either. I think that this is very doable and the only question is how will it handle? My are turning in my brain because I really like messing with things and tinkering. Maybe even more than racing but that is fun as well.

Having said that, I think that a shaft driven car would be a better candidate to convert!
Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turtle Speed View Post
I love this idea and it is something that I have thought about as well. 2wd ST are fun and a 4wd would be amazing. I would think that on potential hurdle is the ST tend to be about 10mm longer than the buggies. Recently purchased a B64D and that leaves me with what to do with my 22/4 because it probably isn't worth too much at this point and the fact that it is a 1.0 doesn't help things either. I think that this is very doable and the only question is how will it handle? My are turning in my brain because I really like messing with things and tinkering. Maybe even more than racing but that is fun as well.

Having said that, I think that a shaft driven car would be a better candidate to convert!
Well, I am sure these days with so many parts being somewhat standard sizing, you may be able to run 22T universals / cvd's all the way around, just have to figure our your arms and turnbuckles etc.

Your benefit though is that these days they offer 3D printing, and that with the advancement there, you can easily draw some up, and have some online service print you a set. Same for shock towers, dragon plate will cut carbon fiber for you, to your pattern.

So even if you first start converting your 22-4, you can always lay the foundation for your next build, should it be a shafty or not.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know it's been done before but here's my Losi Ten T with brushless conversion, I'm using a associated T5m body and short course wheels n tires, it handles extremely well as good as a 4wd buggy and the torque of a 4pole motor is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails 4wd stadium trucks!-20170309_221629.jpg   4wd stadium trucks!-20170309_221646.jpg  
Old 03-09-2017, 05:31 AM
Tech Regular

I do believe I'd jump on that train.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

You could call the class 1:10 Truggy? lol
Old 03-09-2017, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I made a 4we stadium truck out of a losi xxx4 a few years back..actually had a few people ask me if they could buy it
Old 03-09-2017, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

what about this?

Losi: TEN-MT RTR, AVC: 1/10 4WD BLACK/GREEN: Losi (LOS03006T2)

some racing tires and a better body...4wd st class
Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

or how about this one

S10TRTR002 Caster Racing 1/10 Off Road Truggy 4WD Brushless RTR (Special Order 2-3 weeks)S10TRTR002 Caster Racing 1/10 Off Road Truggy 4WD Brushless RTR (Special Order 2-3 weeks)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service