Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree478Likes

TLR 22 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt M.
22-4.0 Wiki

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevmaro
I couldn't get the diff to break in right, tried a second time by flipping rings, cleaning out grease. Same thing. It was smooth for a day both times. I didn't have the outdrive issue other's have had either. Some at my track also having diff issues and some not. Not sure what the deal is.

I hate buying extra parts for new kits, but bought an MIP superdiff for $28 and the car now drives fantastic. If I buy a second kit I would go the same route.
If the bearing is not sitting flat on the male out drive your car has a bad diff. You'll need to contact Horizon to get the corrected male out drive. Out of 4 kits I have built, 3 bad diffs. Thankfully my local hobby shop gave me new TRLR diffs from stock that don't have the issue.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If he stays with the kit shocks in the rear and battery back you can do a lot of this. Placement of the ESC helps with weight bias. I mount mine up toward the servo but you can place it further back as well.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
Buggy does not really require any upgrades. I would suggest alum servo horn and possible the A/B horn. Otherwise the car is pretty outfitted.

I would start with the kit setup and appropriate tires.
Thank you. The laydown setup or the upright one? And is the correct gearing for 17.5 69T 21T

Last edited by pekow91; 06-07-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pekow91
Thank you. The laydown setup or the upright one? And is the correct gearing for 17.5 69T 21T
For outdoors I'd run stand up. Check Exotek for the brass rear pivots. Gearing for 17.5 is around 68-69 spur, 28-31 pinion.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Is the brass privot to add more weight in the back?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pekow91
Was going to pick up a kit today. Anyone have a good outdoor setup for a hard pack dirt track that has a loose layer on top? Also any option parts I should keep in mind. Sorry for the noob questions but skimmed through the previous messages and didnt see this being answered.
Im running on similar conditions(modesto rc raceway) and I am running standup, battery all the way back with kit setup except slightly shorter rear camber link and 1.5 anti squat and its good except for some spin outs due to running the DDS. I have a schelle slipper setup going in it. Holeshot m4 with open cell foams rear.
pekow91 likes this.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Finally got to run my 4.0

I finally got to run my 4.0 last night on high-bite clay.

Quick first impressions after running Thayer's final stock nats setup:

PROS
1. TONS of steering
2. TONS of rear grip
3. Jumps/lands like a champ... best of any 2WD buggy I've driven
4. Very easy to drive and tracks extremely well

CONS

1. Popped a ball cup on a very mild brush with the pipe. 4 months with my B6D, I have never popped a ball cup. I knew this was going to be an issue during the build, though.

2. Diff definitely loosened up on me and even got a little crunchy. Tightened it back down, which helped with the crunchiness, but the car does not carry speed/traction through tight 180's as well as my B6D does. It does carry a medium/large sweeper like a beast, though - certainly better than my B6D. I'll admit that leaving the track with my diff screw intact felt like a net win

OTHER

My 4.0 was a little more forgiving than my B6D, whereas my B6D definitely feels "lighter" on its feet. There are sections of the track where I very much appreciated the forgiveness of the 4.0, and other sections where I cherished the B6D's nimbleness. I was a little more consistent with my B6D, but the jury is still out on that - I've been driving my B6D for 4 months and know its characteristics inside and out... I know when to push it and when to hold back. I know I don't need to hold back on the 4.0, I just need to learn how to push it.

I have the SR diff/bones assembled, but they're not in the car yet. I'm really hoping it will help the car mid/late corner exit like my B6D. I don't think I can get my B6D to jump/land quite like the 4.0 does, but if I can get the 4.0 to operate just a touch more closer to the edge than it does out of the box, I'll be thrilled.

My goal ultimately is to have two stock buggies, same model. I was hoping the decision was going to be easy, but clearly it won't be. Both are a blast to drive, but for different reasons. I will say that it took me 3 trips to the track to really get my B6D where I wanted it. First trip to the track, it was about 75% there. The 4.0 was 90% there on its first lap.

Tonight I head to a different track with a little less traction (last night's track was super high grip). Looking forward to comparing them again back to back under less than perfect conditions.
Tanis103 and MrLean like this.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

So what's everyone doing to resolve the ball cup popping off issue?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2kidsrogers
So what's everyone doing to resolve the ball cup popping off issue?
TLR6017 will do the trick
Old 06-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jb7778
TLR6017 will do the trick
Easy fix, less than $10. Awesome and thanks!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2kidsrogers
Easy fix, less than $10. Awesome and thanks!
I did it and never had an issue with any of em popping off again. Also, i drilled holes through them to give the same access to the ball studs.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SickNT760
I did it and never had an issue with any of em popping off again. Also, i drilled holes through them to give the same access to the ball studs.
Surprisingly I haven't had a kit ballcup pop yet.
Frank Root, ZEe_NYC and rbrownsr like this.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevmaro
Surprisingly I haven't had a kit ballcup pop yet.
As most know I have helped/built 4 of these kits, and know of 2 others, and so far zero ball cup issues. Just waiting for genuine TLR hop ups to come back in stock.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
As most know I have helped/built 4 of these kits, and know of 2 others, and so far zero ball cup issues. Just waiting for genuine TLR hop ups to come back in stock.
Great! Like I said, 4 months with my B6D and have never popped one. Second pack in on my 22 4.0, and I popped one. Frank has already acknowledged that there's an issue, so there's really not much use in pretending like there's not at least a batch of them out there with problems. This thread along with the SCT 3.0 thread is evidence enough, though.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:58 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This is a helpful comparison for non owners on the fence looking to buy a losi. Thank you

Can anyone draw a comparison to the Kyosho RB6.6?

Thx

Originally Posted by Jason B
I finally got to run my 4.0 last night on high-bite clay.

Quick first impressions after running Thayer's final stock nats setup:

PROS
1. TONS of steering
2. TONS of rear grip
3. Jumps/lands like a champ... best of any 2WD buggy I've driven
4. Very easy to drive and tracks extremely well

CONS

1. Popped a ball cup on a very mild brush with the pipe. 4 months with my B6D, I have never popped a ball cup. I knew this was going to be an issue during the build, though.

2. Diff definitely loosened up on me and even got a little crunchy. Tightened it back down, which helped with the crunchiness, but the car does not carry speed/traction through tight 180's as well as my B6D does. It does carry a medium/large sweeper like a beast, though - certainly better than my B6D. I'll admit that leaving the track with my diff screw intact felt like a net win

OTHER

My 4.0 was a little more forgiving than my B6D, whereas my B6D definitely feels "lighter" on its feet. There are sections of the track where I very much appreciated the forgiveness of the 4.0, and other sections where I cherished the B6D's nimbleness. I was a little more consistent with my B6D, but the jury is still out on that - I've been driving my B6D for 4 months and know its characteristics inside and out... I know when to push it and when to hold back. I know I don't need to hold back on the 4.0, I just need to learn how to push it.

I have the SR diff/bones assembled, but they're not in the car yet. I'm really hoping it will help the car mid/late corner exit like my B6D. I don't think I can get my B6D to jump/land quite like the 4.0 does, but if I can get the 4.0 to operate just a touch more closer to the edge than it does out of the box, I'll be thrilled.

My goal ultimately is to have two stock buggies, same model. I was hoping the decision was going to be easy, but clearly it won't be. Both are a blast to drive, but for different reasons. I will say that it took me 3 trips to the track to really get my B6D where I wanted it. First trip to the track, it was about 75% there. The 4.0 was 90% there on its first lap.

Tonight I head to a different track with a little less traction (last night's track was super high grip). Looking forward to comparing them again back to back under less than perfect conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.