Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree478Likes

TLR 22 4.0

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: TLR 22 4.0
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Matt M.
22-4.0 Wiki

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverbugeye
The revised diffs just came out this week. The complete diff is also new for this week.

If you bought it lately from Horizon, then you are good. If your local hobby shop had it in stock for a few months... then it may bind
Purchased it Thursday, and verified it with a team driver. I'm good to go.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Medicinal Coma
This company makes a nice fan mount that works perfect on the stand up tranny:

RC Speed Secrets - Performance Level Parts & Hop-Ups | RC Racing Parts

TLR 22 3.0 Stand-up Tranny Aluminum Motor Fan Mount | 30mm Fan Mount | RCSpeedSecrets

It goes on the screw that goes through the tranny to the motor plate, the 44mm one, works out really nice, they have some other nice products as well.
Perfect! Ordered. thanks
Old 06-03-2017, 07:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Been running the 4.0 the last couple of weekends with good results with the stock setup on dirt laydown. I was wondering if its worth getting the brass hinge pin mount and the brass plate for the rear? How will this change the handling of 4.0 with theses parts ?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2017, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John Q
Been running the 4.0 the last couple of weekends with good results with the stock setup on dirt laydown. I was wondering if its worth getting the brass hinge pin mount and the brass plate for the rear? How will this change the handling of 4.0 with theses parts ?

Thanks
Stock or mod? In stock I didn't like how much overall traction it gave on high bite clay (it was a ton). I ended up going with a 26gram weight plate under the lipo to lock in the rear, but not to the point that it was with the brass hinge pin brace, but now that I am about to add in the SR diff and drive shafts I will probably put it back in cause the car will be way under weight, and I will reintroduce mid corner traction breaks at the apex of 180 style turns and long bumpy sweepers. IF running mod, it's pretty much a must have to remove the possibility of completely losing rear grip if you get out of shape off a jump, or get out of the race line and into the dusty stuff.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just built up my 22 4.0 and have noticed that when using the lay-down transmission and short battery brace, that the battery (Vampire Racing 4600mah shorty) will physically not slide into space between the waterfall and retainer screwed to the chassis.

The only way I can get it in is to loosen the two screws on the retaining brace, insert battery and then tighten everything back up.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or am I missing something?

Other than that well impressed with the build, only time will tell how well the plastics wear with use.

On a side note, I raced it for the first time in the East of England regional championship today, but was a little disappointed that on the third race of the day the head of the diff screw snapped clean off!! The track was grass, so not exactly high bite, so a little surprised in that.

Otherwise all happy with my purchase, the 22 4.0 seems much more nimble compared to my 22 2.0 and doesn't seem to lack any forwards drive, despite the laydown gearbox and three gear transmission.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonbrown
Just built up my 22 4.0 and have noticed that when using the lay-down transmission and short battery brace, that the battery (Vampire Racing 4600mah shorty) will physically not slide into space between the waterfall and retainer screwed to the chassis.

The only way I can get it in is to loosen the two screws on the retaining brace, insert battery and then tighten everything back up.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or am I missing something?

Other than that well impressed with the build, only time will tell how well the plastics wear with use.

On a side note, I raced it for the first time in the East of England regional championship today, but was a little disappointed that on the third race of the day the head of the diff screw snapped clean off!! The track was grass, so not exactly high bite, so a little surprised in that.

Otherwise all happy with my purchase, the 22 4.0 seems much more nimble compared to my 22 2.0 and doesn't seem to lack any forwards drive, despite the laydown gearbox and three gear transmission.
Slide battery from left side of car into position first. Keep the battery elevated from chassis. Once in position, place front portion of battery into position first. Then push down on rear portion of battery and it should snap into place. Had the same problem until someone showed me the trick. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think I'll order a spare just in case.

Hope you enjoyed the Colchester track, i couldn't make it yesterday but it's my local track. It's a great flowing track and the tlr appeared to be really well suited to it at my first race.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Micah123
Slide battery from left side of car into position first. Keep the battery elevated from chassis. Once in position, place front portion of battery into position first. Then push down on rear portion of battery and it should snap into place. Had the same problem until someone showed me the trick. Good luck.
Cheers I'll give it a go
Old 06-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonbrown
Could you describe your build/break-in process for the diff? This seems to be happening a lot more than usual, so just trying to get a handle on why for my own education / peace of mind.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Stock or mod? In stock I didn't like how much overall traction it gave on high bite clay (it was a ton). I ended up going with a 26gram weight plate under the lipo to lock in the rear, but not to the point that it was with the brass hinge pin brace, but now that I am about to add in the SR diff and drive shafts I will probably put it back in cause the car will be way under weight, and I will reintroduce mid corner traction breaks at the apex of 180 style turns and long bumpy sweepers. IF running mod, it's pretty much a must have to remove the possibility of completely losing rear grip if you get out of shape off a jump, or get out of the race line and into the dusty stuff.
Hey thanks for the info. I'm running Mod. I'm looking for some more mid-corner and exit steering. So from what your saying this should help.. Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by John Q
Hey thanks for the info. I'm running Mod. I'm looking for some more mid-corner and exit steering. So from what your saying this should help.. Thanks again.
What size is your track? and have you tried the other Ackerman plates yet? Give those a go. I am currently running on a smallish high bite track, lots of tight turns. Went to short VLA with the number 1 Ackermann plates, the 3s didn't give me enough mid corner steering.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I am looking to get back into 2wd buggy after a few year hiatus and have the TLR 22 in mind. My question for you guys is it worth going for the 4.0 ($329) or save a little cash and go with the 3.0 ($249). Im an average club racer that will be racing on a medium outdoor dirt track. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by pekow91
I am looking to get back into 2wd buggy after a few year hiatus and have the TLR 22 in mind. My question for you guys is it worth going for the 4.0 ($329) or save a little cash and go with the 3.0 ($249). Im an average club racer that will be racing on a medium outdoor dirt track. Thanks for any help.
If you buy the 3.0 you will eventually start looking for laydown options and then decide that you should have just bought the 4.0.

If you do go the 3.0 route and you are racing 17.5, then just get the 3.0SR from Amain for $259.

To me the 4.0 is easier to drive and better balanced. I am also a terrible driver.
pekow91 likes this.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jason B
Could you describe your build/break-in process for the diff? This seems to be happening a lot more than usual, so just trying to get a handle on why for my own education / peace of mind.
Built up as per manual with kit parts, small amount of black grease on the thrust balls.

A dot of clear grease in each hole on diff gear, insert balls and smear of grease on both sides.

Diff spring is compressed with pliers probably four or five times, insert with nut and places on my trinity diff build tool, diff gear placed on top and other diff out drive.

Screwed up until feel it bite, rotate each diff half by hand. Tighten and then rotate each diff half, then fully Tighten and undo quarter turn.

Run in on bench by holding each wheel and running quarter throttle. Checked, then run on track and adjusted accordingly.

It's worked for the past goodness knows how many years and from memory this is the first diff screw I have ever snapped.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's because the diff screw that comes with the car is made of saliva. Use an Associated diff screw and never had to worry about it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.