Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree187Likes

TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Remember on shocks the bore did not change. The old SCTE shocks just had a huge side wall thickness. So even though shocks are small in fact the actual function part did not change. So from a performance side the damping of the shock should no change only a reduction in weight and thus lower CG.

Another thing on the steering to comment on is the flipping of the servo arm on the belcrank. This ensures the arm does not hit the ackerman plate as well. Yes a lot of little things but add up to better performing truck.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Do you have to run a 3.0 bellcrank to swap the steering over, or can you just flip a 2.0?
Old 09-22-2016, 09:05 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
I was going to post these few days ago and forgot.

Overall Pic shows the Lipo mounting choice I started with. May change it a few times before it stays. Nice to have so many options.

The ESC shot shows how easy and clean short run wires can be. Plenty of ESC wire to reach receiver.

The motor pic shows how far it hangs out in the 3 degree position. Takes a while to get used to seeing this if you have raced this platform for any amount of time.

Shocks have balloon covers/boots and they took me a long time to mount. Don't fit tight at the bottom, but should keep a lot of dirt off the shafts. My local outdoor track is not clean, so I use boots to make my shock seals and shafts last longer. Would be nice to have a lower shock cap with a grove or lip to facilitate shock boots.

I will say that these 22 shocks feel too small for the truck when you build them, but they are not. That feeling is amplified for me because I just built some 2.0 shocks. Big difference in wt and action. They have very little stiction and feel great on the bench drop. Overall a superior design to the 2.0 shocks and much lighter. Looks good.

Last pic shows the reshaped front a arm. This and the rod end shape should stop witness marks on wheels, a arms and the ball link. Truck turns to lock with no hint of binding under power. Might be updates to the CVD? Things have improved across the board in many ways.

My testing begins and I look forward to finding the sweet spot for my driving and track.
We did update the axles to get more steering through without binding. Thanks for noticing
Old 09-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by DoogieLee
Do you have to run a 3.0 bellcrank to swap the steering over, or can you just flip a 2.0?
You can flip the 2.0 which is what we had done for quite a while.

If you want to run the 3.0 bearing ackerman setup you need the updated arm as it add more clearance
Old 09-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank Root
We did update the axles to get more steering through without binding. Thanks for noticing
Did you change the part number or are we stuck taking a chance on getting old stock when we buy axles?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
Did you change the part number or are we stuck taking a chance on getting old stock when we buy axles?
Great question! How do we buy the updated part?
Old 09-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Tech Champion

Great question! How do we buy the updated part?
I just looked at the exploded view and found we're screwed again:

No they did not change the part number.

Originally Posted by Casper
If you want to run the 3.0 bearing ackerman setup you need the updated arm as it add more clearance
Does the 3.0 ball bearing ackerman have sufficient clearance that you can get the same steering throw without flipping the steering arm as if you do flip the steering arm?

I've still got an old Ten-T (electric converted) and looked at making my own ackerman bar with more clearance because the receiver box would be in the way of the flipped arm. I found there is plenty of room to increase the curve on the ackerman bar to get more steering throw without needing to flip the arm.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:39 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

It is a running change to the existing part.

Does the 3.0 ball bearing ackerman have sufficient clearance that you can get the same steering throw without flipping the steering arm as if you do flip the steering arm?

I've still got an old Ten-T (electric converted) and looked at making my own ackerman bar with more clearance because the receiver box would be in the way of the flipped arm. I found there is plenty of room to increase the curve on the ackerman bar to get more steering throw without needing to flip the arm.
The curve of the bar is not changed.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Frank, what is the reason for moving the nerf bars to the rear?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Tech Prophet

Frank, what is the reason for moving the nerf bars to the rear?
I don't understand this question? The nerf bars are not "adjustable" did you see someone put them on backwards?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:18 AM
Tech Prophet

I just looked at the exploded view and found we're screwed again:

No they did not change the part number.

The clearance is for the bearing steering mostly.

I have never run the receiver box. The higher offest 22 arm will help but not sure if it will clear the box. Like I said I never put one on one of my trucks.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Casper
The clearance is for the bearing steering mostly.

I have never run the receiver box. The higher offest 22 arm will help but not sure if it will clear the box. Like I said I never put one on one of my trucks.
Did you never run a SCTE 1.0? Or what did you use the hold the servo on the 1.0? The receiver box is part of the servo mount on the Ten-T (the original truck in the Ten series) and the SCTE 1.0.

22 servo arm won't make any difference - the interference is between the servo saver arm (if reversed) and the receiver box.

I wanted to get more steering out of my electric converted Ten-T. Actually not so much "electric converted" since I bought en electric specific BCE chassis (no holes for the nitro stuff) and built it up from there.

If the team guys have been reversing the servo saver arm to get more clearance it would have made sense to increase the bow on the ackerman link when they made new ones for the ball bearing setup so you wouldn't have to reverse the arm.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Tech Prophet

We don't run the box. It was easy to do on the 2.0.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Did you never run a SCTE 1.0? Or what did you use the hold the servo on the 1.0? The receiver box is part of the servo mount on the Ten-T (the original truck in the Ten series) and the SCTE 1.0.

22 servo arm won't make any difference - the interference is between the servo saver arm (if reversed) and the receiver box.

I wanted to get more steering out of my electric converted Ten-T. Actually not so much "electric converted" since I bought en electric specific BCE chassis (no holes for the nitro stuff) and built it up from there.

If the team guys have been reversing the servo saver arm to get more clearance it would have made sense to increase the bow on the ackerman link when they made new ones for the ball bearing setup so you wouldn't have to reverse the arm.
Oh that one. Sorry I was not thinking that far back. Never tried to flip the servo arm on the 1.0. IF the arm hits the ackerman plate it just gets there. with caster block updates they have been doing and all it became an issue later. I was thinking of the radio box guys have been stuffing on the truck from the 8ight-E and such. You need the 22 arm flip the arm and the 2.0 servo mount or hack up the 1.0 box. If I remember right the 1.0 uses a 3 bolt pattern and the 2.0 uses 4 bolt so you can't use the 2.0 mount on the 1.0 chassis.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:18 PM
PZP
Tech Initiate

I agree with what you said about the drag link. It could have been divot'ed in at the point of contract a few mm and that would have done the same thing.
Alternately you can get the same clearance by just shimming the servo linkage up with a few (or a thick) shim washer and never encounter the problem. At least that worked for me just as well as reversing the bellcrank on the 2.0. I also run the vision racing carbon bearing link with mine.

What I would have liked to have seen was a fully adjustable ackerman (drag link) that had multiple holes. Much like the way TEKNO does it with the 410.3

Would be nice to have an easy adjustment point that could just be swapped like a quick change system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.