Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Depth perception screwed or do I just stink at racing? >

Depth perception screwed or do I just stink at racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Depth perception screwed or do I just stink at racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoobRacer
OK a little background. I started racing 3 years ago, raced for a year started off really well and acceled rather quickly. Ran at 6 local tracks and ran consistently well every time, most times I would finish 1/2/3/4. Took a break for a year and a half now back, and I suck more than ever!

Got back into racing last week with a new truck, new system but attended a big race at a huge track......

With that being said. My local tracks were small to smedium (smallish medium?) size tracks. the two events I raced at once coming back were big and huge. I found that I have a hard time feeling connected to the car once it gets further out and I tend to go a lot slower and being more cautious. I know it's been awhile since I raced but I remember even back when I raced 3 times a week, I would feel this unconnected feeling at further distances.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I tried searching google but couldn't figure out what to search for. Lol. Maybe I need glasses or something.
OK, I'm 63 now and came back to RC after a 20+ year hiatus. In the late 80s and early 90s I was always in the A main, usually was on the podium.
Now 20 years later I am lucky to get around the track and actually even walk. So I have decided to race local club type racing but attend big races such as JConcepts Stock Nats and hope to not finish last.

Growing old does suck without the right perspective! Just have fun.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think anyone with 'noob' in there handle has this problem!!! Lol
Yeah, I guess! I wouldn't mind, but I've been racing since '84! I've had several periods away, but never got rid of all my cars. Moving from the UK and racing in the US has been a massive change. Tracks are now huge!

I think that 2.4Ghz and the speed of brushless has enabled much larger tracks. That and the jumps, which are now a major feature (US in particular).

I've seen tracks with less technical 'features' on the back of the track, which makes sense to me.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:11 PM
LT
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Been racing since 86 and I'm definatly not fast anymore but still hold my own. Mudcat has the right idea, just have fun and don't sweat it. I have noticed I can't not eat all day or my driving goes to pot.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

OK got my eyes checked out. My prescription is the lightest possible. .25 on both eyes. Doc didn't know if it would help or hinder now having eyeglass frames in my field of vision but it should keep my eyes from feeling strained after a night of racing. Should have them to test out next weekend and I'll report back.

Oh and....they're bifocal....because, well, I'm old.
He said that part would help me working on the cars and at work as I deal with inspecting small parts all week long. They're also a very light prescription.
Finger crossed it gains me at least 2 tenths!!
Old 06-25-2016, 12:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

My two cents: I was a very good billiard player ($). Went off to school, got my doctorate. After which, found my billiard skills doeth stinketh. Went the optometrist, "Yep, you need glasses son." Now, when I run my RC poorly, which is often, I blame my glasses!
Old 07-31-2016, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

I like the glasses. They don't bother me like I thought they would and they do help when the car is waaaay across the track. I'm getting another pair without the bifocal though. When the car is close to the drivers stand it's hard to not look through the bifocal part and it goes blurry.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry to say it but, getting old sucks.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Red face Glasses/vision correction.

Originally Posted by 55Guy
Just wait until you get no line progressive bifocals. Now that adds an new challenge to wearing glasses and growing up or getting old old old
OHHHH! I tried them and they were worthless!
Don't do it.
When I got new specs,I killed 'em at the track!
I need new ones,again.
I have trouble seeing near AND far.
Cataracts,too.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ddd228
OHHHH! I tried them and they were worthless!
Don't do it.
When I got new specs,I killed 'em at the track!
I need new ones,again.
I have trouble seeing near AND far.
Cataracts,too.
I have the no-lines. Do not like.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oPAULo
I have the no-lines. Do not like.
if you need to marshal,you will trip and fall on your face a LOT!
What he said.^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-02-2016, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Welcome to getting older. I visited the eye doctor also and explained my situation with depth perception and what I was doing. He straight up told me there is nothing going to fix it at night. Polarized lenses in the day help with contrast of the dirt, but at night all the yellow lens items are nothing more than a gimic. It's worse running under lights at night. Qualifying during the day is pretty much useless for a main that gets run under the lights where the vision part changes 180 degrees.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm going to go have my eyes checked out.
Yeah, I thought my vision was good until i went for a eye exam - near sighted! Much much better with RC and Autocross with the specs!