Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Depth perception screwed or do I just stink at racing? >

Depth perception screwed or do I just stink at racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Depth perception screwed or do I just stink at racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
Practice.
^^^^ this

if you're really set on improving on the large tracks, that's where i'd spend ALL of my time. completely stay away from the small tracks for a while.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Sounds like your modulation circuit breaker keeps getting tripped. Shoes with soft inserts might be the solution ,if all else fails go for a foot massage. Take a look at your diet too, avoid anything with peanut butter. LOL just kidding .....just need to keep practicing , it will come back to you.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm sure it's a mixture of practice and eye sight. Lol
Old 06-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yup. I'm in the same boat. 45 years old. We run at 3 huge warehouse tracks and I struggle to see the backstretch. On a big outdoor track in the daylight or a smaller indoor track I'm fine. I'm getting my eyes checked.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oPAULo
Yup. I'm in the same boat. 45 years old. We run at 3 huge warehouse tracks and I struggle to see the backstretch. On a big outdoor track in the daylight or a smaller indoor track I'm fine. I'm getting my eyes checked.
Daylight is the same for me. It's not that I can't see back there, I can just fine (at least I think lol) it's just not the same connected feeling I have when driving it down the front straight and the midfield.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

People can say practice all they want, it will help to a point, but you wouldn't tell a blind person that they need practice because that would be pointless. Try covering one eye and then driving around the track. It's harder than you think.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fredswain
People can say practice all they want, it will help to a point, but you wouldn't tell a blind person that they need practice because that would be pointless. Try covering one eye and then driving around the track. It's harder than you think.
Lol amen
Old 06-13-2016, 06:01 AM
Tech Adept

i race on a big out door 1/8 scale sized track.
i use to have an issue with seeing at night races. track shadows blended in
with the bumps and jumps in spots. they hang a few more lights that helped a little.
they got new pipes, they went from black to white. it's crazy how much that change
made the track view so much better. in the day and at night.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I raced a ton from my late teens in to my very early 30's, and as long as I didn't break, I'd consistently finish top 5 in the A no matter what I was racing. I didn't race for several years, then slowly started picking back up. I'm almost 42 now, and can say first hand that eyesight is an issue. Smaller tracks aren't much of a problem - I managed to TQ and win my first several stock buggy races last summer (after taking 10 years off from buggy). Then I tried racing on a slightly larger track with more going on (jumps, chicane) on the back stretch. Everything was kind of a blur, car was painted flat black, so that made it even more difficult. The bummer is, my eyesight fluctuates due to a medical condition, so glasses aren't an option. RC has been my main interest from age 4, so this has been a pretty big deal to me. I imagine I'll start taking crawling a little more seriously as time goes on. Or try and get the locals in to large scale, lol.
All that said, don't neglect practice and staying sharp when it comes to setup. After my long leave, I'd all but forgotten how to tune a car or set my radio up to my liking. That's coming back. Also, don't paint your car in colors that blends in with the track.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

Depth perception.
If you don't wear glasses try some polarized sunglasses, or better yet get the kind that have interchangeable lenses so you can use the amber or other lighter tints. Polarized lenses help a bunch with depth perception.
Something I learned over years of flying RC: As much as one might like a certain paint job and wheels, black wheels and body is as bad as it gets for seeing what the car is doing, same with other neutral/earthy colors. A solid body color you can easily see, and a bright contrasted color for the wheels can help a lot.
Us....elders..... need everything we can get.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by floyd2810
i race on a big out door 1/8 scale sized track.
i use to have an issue with seeing at night races. track shadows blended in
with the bumps and jumps in spots. they hang a few more lights that helped a little.
they got new pipes, they went from black to white. it's crazy how much that change
made the track view so much better. in the day and at night.
Medina is only a medium sized 1/8th scale track. But yeah, the white pipes are nice.

OP: How big is this track? And how tall is the drivers stand? 99% of American off road tracks, have pathetic drivers stands. And what color dirt is it? And what color body/wheels/wing are you running? These all make more of a difference than many will admit.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Medina is only a medium sized 1/8th scale track. But yeah, the white pipes are nice.

OP: How big is this track? And how tall is the drivers stand? 99% of American off road tracks, have pathetic drivers stands. And what color dirt is it? And what color body/wheels/wing are you running? These all make more of a difference than many will admit.
I'm actually here in the southeast and a lot of the big races held at the big tracks have nice stands. Maybe 20ft high? The dirt is a Carolina clay so it's brownish red. My car is currently red but it doesn't blend in (so I think) wheels are either white or lime green and tail is white. I'm going to get my eyes checked this week so I'll start there. I need to anyways. Lol
Old 06-15-2016, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Find a nice big place to practice because it doesn't have to be at the track. Place some pop cans or something to mark a spot. Drive your vehicle as close as you can to those markers without hitting them. After you get comfortable, increase your distance and continue on.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I get the same kind of thing, not sure if just old (glasses and they work fine) but tracks are just so damn big! My local track has (had) jumps and stuff at really nasty angles to see properly. Cost me a fortune getting it wrong on the jump.
Track was only about 4ft wide.

I thought it was just me!
Old 06-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by oldernoob
I get the same kind of thing, not sure if just old (glasses and they work fine) but tracks are just so damn big! My local track has (had) jumps and stuff at really nasty angles to see properly. Cost me a fortune getting it wrong on the jump.
Track was only about 4ft wide.

I thought it was just me!
I think anyone with 'noob' in there handle has this problem!!! Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.