Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree42Likes

Team Losi's Baja Rey Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

No, I believe it's stock 12T. Does it urgently need 10T for 3S?

I'm going to be pretty gentle with it until a couple of new 2S lipos arrive for my son (he's borrowing mine so I have to use his 3S batteries).

Originally Posted by RCfanatic187
Did you swap to the 10T pinion? Running 3s with no issues to the motor, and esc here.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Tech Initiate

I think they provide the smaller pinion specifically for 3S packs. Also, I have the impression the people with bearing problems were running 3S packs. I'd imagine a lot of it has to do with how hard to run the truck too though.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RockRunner
No, I believe it's stock 12T. Does it urgently need 10T for 3S?

I'm going to be pretty gentle with it until a couple of new 2S lipos arrive for my son (he's borrowing mine so I have to use his 3S batteries).
I wouldn't go out bashing with the higher pinion, but others with more experience may be able to chime in.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

It had so much power on 3S with the stock pinion that I held full throttle once (just to see). It builds up so much speed that it's basically useless for me personally for what I want the car for (I'm not racing it). 2S power I can use and even that need moderating carefully most of the time on dirt. I was mostly just touching the trigger on 3S and it was kind of annoying constantly holding it back. I felt it got noticeably hotter just tootling around trails too.

Happily went back to 2S which is basically lineball as fast as a stock Yeti on 3S. We had a number of races and speed was very similar. That's a perfect setup for me anyway; cool and plenty fast with loads of grunt when you want it.

I wouldn't go out bashing with the higher pinion, but others with more experience may be able to chime in.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RockRunner
It had so much power on 3S with the stock pinion that I held full throttle once (just to see). It builds up so much speed that it's basically useless for me personally for what I want the car for (I'm not racing it). 2S power I can use and even that need moderating carefully most of the time on dirt. I was mostly just touching the trigger on 3S and it was kind of annoying constantly holding it back. I felt it got noticeably hotter just tootling around trails too.

Happily went back to 2S which is basically lineball as fast as a stock Yeti on 3S. We had a number of races and speed was very similar. That's a perfect setup for me anyway; cool and plenty fast with loads of grunt when you want it.
I ran mine on 3s with the 10T pinion, and really in my opinion it felt pretty solid. Maybe just adjusting to the throttle curve, but nonetheless I think the moral of the story is. If you prefer 2s run the stock pinion. If you like 3s run the 10T.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Well after a day of bashing the truck around yesterday. Most of which was pretty mild other than heavy on the go trigger. Somehow my pinion gear set screw came loose, and spun through the center transmission housing. Set screw had loctite on it, and havent had any issues till now(15+ packs). Weird, but a relatively easy fix. Also a good time to inspect the center diff, and I will put a picture up as soon as i pull the truck apart.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use red Loctite on pinion and axle setscrews nowadays. It's not actually permanent like the advertising claims, but it sure does hold stronger.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Traction?

What causes the truck to shimmy left and right under acceleration slightly and how can I eliminate that?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Smoovy
What causes the truck to shimmy left and right under acceleration slightly and how can I eliminate that?
as in torque steer?
Old 03-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Tech Rookie

as in torque steer?
Yes. I'm trying to determine if avc is trying to correct it under load. It makes it look like the back is wiggling left and right. To put this in context, my sc10 4x4 nor slash 4x4 do this under load
Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Smoovy
Yes. I'm trying to determine if avc is trying to correct it under load. It makes it look like the back is wiggling left and right. To put this in context, my sc10 4x4 nor slash 4x4 do this under load
First, try turning the AVC off, or all the way down if you're still using the RTR transmitter. If it's the avc trying to compensate, this should give you an indication. I personally don't run the AVC on mine.

Secondly, as compared to your sc10 or slash, this is a solid rear axle truck so you're going to notice a lot more torque steer than independent suspension trucks.

Lastly - i've played around with my sag, dampening quite a bit and mine squats and scoots pretty good, and straight now. Hope this helps!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rascalbum
I went with the DX4c and it seems to have all the features im ever going to want or need in a transmitter.
Running the same transmitter. Agree - great features and tech at a sweet price! Plus, I swapped the new receiver that came with the trans in to the Baja Rey and used the RTR receiver in another vehicle and was able to consolidate some transmitters!
Rascalbum likes this.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you, I will try that and definitely look at some adjustments like you mentioned
Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That kind of shimmying is almost always a combination of an overly-sensitive gyro and/or a servo that's too slow.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I found that with the RR. Too high AVC setting and it snaked down the road. Backing it off totally eliminates the shimmy. I run my AVC low for better hookup off the line which thankfully then doesn't slow down my steering too much or make it act drunk.

I definitely feel it needs a far faster and more powerful servo. i.e. a pretty expensive one unfortunately to make the best use out of the AVC anyway.

Fyrstormer, did you remove the gyro RX to try to 'improve' the truck with a non AVC RX or did you do it so you could race the truck? Did it make a difference (positive or negative)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.