Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

New Schumacher KF2

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Tech Regular

How often do you rebuild your ball diff?

After one day at the track, my ball diff already feels gritty.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Mine last couple months with a 6.5 on high bite before the first hint of gritty feeling....

Your diff is slipping causing the gritty feeling.... sand the rings and rebuild it with fresh grease and set it tighter...

The Racers Edge diff tool is invaluable in setting the diff to never slip but provide the best action
Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

I tighten it all the way, back out 1/8 turn, and then screw in the lock screw.

Does the lock screw have to be in place before I test the diff?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

lock it all down before twisting it preferrably
Old 04-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First race out with the KF2 last night, my first race back in 6 years. Did okay, my driving skills are a bit rusty but the car was DIALED. I qualified in the B bumped to the A. Changed to the carbon chassis, the car is much more nimble now. Here's the setup I ran last night
Attached Thumbnails New Schumacher KF2-my-base-setup-copy.jpg  
Old 04-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Mine last couple months with a 6.5 on high bite before the first hint of gritty feeling....

Your diff is slipping causing the gritty feeling.... sand the rings and rebuild it with fresh grease and set it tighter...

The Racers Edge diff tool is invaluable in setting the diff to never slip but provide the best action
I rebuilt the diff this morning. After one day the rings have grooves in them from the balls. Could the diff be too tight?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

The dif washers do groove up anyway as they aren't hardened but it does sound like it was a bit tight.
Out of interest what diff balls are you using, I find the ceramic ones too hard and more difficult to get the correct diff setting, the tungsten ones are better and result in a more tolerant diff.
I normally find that 1/4 turn back from fully locked is a good setting to start with, with ceramics or tungsten diff balls. If you had to have the diff tighter so as to not slip then I suspect you had the bellevue washers in the thrust in the wrong order so no or little spring tension.
I normally find the diff lasts several meetings before needing a rebuild, and that's on astro with a 8.5T Thunder Power motor behind it.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jpdanger
I rebuilt the diff this morning. After one day the rings have grooves in them from the balls. Could the diff be too tight?
Sure, they should have grooves... thats why after it broken in you'll need to readjust it.

If its rough or gritty like your describing, its been slipping.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

I use the tungsten diff balls. My ring pliers just arrived, so I'll do a complete tear down and reassembly to include the thrust bearing.

Why use this type of diff assembly as opposed to the common type found in AE and Losi products?
Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Champion

Schumacher invented the ball diff 25+ years ago. I rebuild my diff 3-4 times less than my colleagues. I don't question why haha it just works. And once it's adjusted and locked. It will last a long time end never loosed up
Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
Schumacher invented the ball diff 25+ years ago. I rebuild my diff 3-4 times less than my colleagues. I don't question why haha it just works. And once it's adjusted and locked. It will last a long time end never loosed up

I think my SV2 diff had over 300 minutes since last rebuild.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

Just FYI. Protek makes an aluminum clamp servo horn that will work. I know the Core -RC ones have been on back order but the protek is a nice alternative. Just mounted one in my KF2 and it fits perfectly
Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Riverbluff
Just FYI. Protek makes an aluminum clamp servo horn that will work. I know the Core -RC ones have been on back order but the protek is a nice alternative. Just mounted one in my KF2 and it fits perfectly
+1
Old 04-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just a quick question, what brand wheels will fit front and rear apart from schumacher racing? Proline or de racing?
Old 04-23-2015, 05:20 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losi boy
Just a quick question, what brand wheels will fit front and rear apart from schumacher racing? Proline or de racing?
The DE Racing rears do not fit. The center is to thick so unless there is more axle showing on the KF2 you can't get wheelnuts started with Schumacher hexes. I have used the DE rears with B5 hexes but of course you lose about 2mm of track width in the rear. The plastic B5 hexes are dirt cheap so I keep a pair as a tuning aid. Other than that I have had good luck with any 12mm wheel in B5/RB6 offset.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.