kyosho electric offroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

kyosho electric offroad

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

I too have wobble in the drive shaft. The rear cup has a very slight wobble as does the front where the cup fits into the molded hex. An aluminum, or better yet, a lightweight CNC machined Delrin piece would be nice.

I haven't ran the car yet, but after building on road sedans that cost the same as this kit, I was dissapointed with the amount of slop in the Lazer's suspension. I did check for correct shimming but I'm going to take another look. Anyone else have a lot of slop in some of the suspension components (shimmed per kit instructions)?

Other than that, this kit looks really nice. Love the body! Looking forward to racing it!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

My rear center shaft wobbled also. Straightened out the best I could. A lot better now but still wobbles slightly. The front shaft seems fine.

I am almost done with the car. Started the build Friday night. The instructions suck and so does the set-up tips. Oh, wait a second, there are none. I could have not done this build in 3 hours.

Painting the body/wing now. Will run it tomorrow with a front spool and one-way input.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

No set-ups yet??????

Can anyone that has run thiers, say what they have found with any set-ups.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamPRP
I haven't ran the car yet, but after building on road sedans that cost the same as this kit, I was dissapointed with the amount of slop in the Lazer's suspension. I did check for correct shimming but I'm going to take another look. Anyone else have a lot of slop in some of the suspension components (shimmed per kit instructions)?

Originally Posted by cornerspeed
My rear center shaft wobbled also. Straightened out the best I could. A lot better now but still wobbles slightly. The front shaft seems fine.

I am almost done with the car. Started the build Friday night. The instructions suck and so does the set-up tips. Oh, wait a second, there are none. I could have not done this build in 3 hours.

Painting the body/wing now. Will run it tomorrow with a front spool and one-way input.
No set-ups yet??????

Can anyone that has run thiers, say what they have found with any set-ups.
PRP:
I got a bunch of the XRay washers, part number 962030 to shim everything out in the back they are 0.3mm thick so you can use them on the arms then the kit ones that are 0.1mm thick on the rear hubs to shim everything out. This is why mine took about 7 hours to build, haha.

Cornerspeed:
I agree, if you were going to do this right, there is no way you could build this in 3 hours... I've gotten down to 3 hours on an Xray touring car roller but that's after building countless chassis'...
As far as set up stuff goes, download the XB8 manual from Xray's site, they have some good stuff in there for these cars...
As far as the setup goes, I talked to that Ron Atomic guy today and he said he was coming up here to Dallas again this weekend and we'll come up with something good, so I'll post it up on here this weekend.

Hope some of this helps
Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 PM
FBR
Tech Adept

I talked to Kyosho USA on Monday 12-5-05 amd was informed that they have no set up sheets yet and it would probably be one to two months before we see any. I downloaded the x-5 set up sheet and it's a good basic sheet not real fancy at all but it'll work for those of you who want to use it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
4 wheel set up sheet.pdf (110.5 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 PM
FBR
Tech Adept

anyone know the diff ratio?
Old 12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
PRP:
I got a bunch of the XRay washers, part number 962030 to shim everything out in the back they are 0.3mm thick so you can use them on the arms then the kit ones that are 0.1mm thick on the rear hubs to shim everything out. This is why mine took about 7 hours to build, haha.

Cornerspeed:
I agree, if you were going to do this right, there is no way you could build this in 3 hours... I've gotten down to 3 hours on an Xray touring car roller but that's after building countless chassis'...
As far as set up stuff goes, download the XB8 manual from Xray's site, they have some good stuff in there for these cars...
As far as the setup goes, I talked to that Ron Atomic guy today and he said he was coming up here to Dallas again this weekend and we'll come up with something good, so I'll post it up on here this weekend.

Hope some of this helps
Ron, I know that guy. Tell him I said hi. I will have to call him soon. Talked to him about 2 months ago. Let me know what you come up with. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Can't get the rear diff tight enough not to slip.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just want to give everyone a heads up. The last batch of parts we got in went faster than we expected, so we Kyosho have another shipment of parts coming in tomorrow for us. Hopefully we'll get some of the spares we've been out for awhile like the bulkheads and the chassis, as well as restock of the other spares. Also a few hop-up items will be available tomorrow as well Website should be updated as soon as the shipment comes in from UPS around 2PM PST or so

Steve Wang
Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Can't get the rear diff tight enough not to slip.
I haven't tried this yet myself. But it might work to place a few shims or spacer before you put the lock nut piece into the diff. This would allow the spring to compress further without bottoming out the diff lock nut.

Also, about the slop in the suspension. A lot of mine is coming from the hingepin bushing slopping around inside the mount! It's weird because one side of the hinge pin mount is tighter on the hinge pin bushing than the other side. And I've swapped the bushings around to check if the bushing sizes varied, but it was the same with any bushing. I might try my Pro 4 hinge pin bushings(pivot balls) and see if they work. I know this isn't a big deal and the car probably drives awesome. But I am such a stickler for how things fit together. Especailly for a kit that is this expensive.

BTW, the Pro4 "Stock" aluminum wheel hex hubs work great, and you can alter track width with the spacers.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

As for the rear diff slipping, at first, I thought it was just the nature of the beast. Even the really fast BJ4 drivers at my track have their rear diffs slipping constantly. It didn't seem to cause my ZX-5 any problems with diff action and overall driving, but I can't stand listening to that barking noise thinking that it is only a matter of time before the rear diff blows out. Originally, the stock steel balls didn't last long with my rear diff slipping. They flat-spotted right away and the diff got really inconsistent. I swapped them out for ceramic balls and that helped out a lot even if my diff was still slipping. I still wanted to completely fix the problem though since it would only be a matter of time before the rings were ruined from the hard ceramic balls!

Anyways, I started to fiddle a lot with the slipper. It seemed no matter how loose I made the slipper, the diff kept slipping first. It got to the point where I could loosen/tighten the nut on the slipper by just using my hands it was so loose! I took the slipper apart and noticed the pads really haven't moved much on the slipper plates. They are exceptionally more 'grabby' than other companies' slipper pads. I rubbed them against the slipper plates awhile to scuff them up a bit (or really more of smoothing them out) then I worked on the slipper spring for a good 5 minutes compressing it in a pair of pliers. That seemed to do the trick. It now slips much more easily and gives me a lot more tuning option with it. My rear diff is pretty loose (allows for much better rotation in the rear for tight corners) and it isn't slipping at all now with my slipper clutch working properly.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FBR
anyone know the diff ratio?
Or since I put mine together already, can anyone count the teeth on the gears and post em so we can figure out the drive ratio?

I didn't drive my car yet, but someone posted there is absolutely no setup help in the instructions. I didn't realize that until they had posted that for some reason. I thought about that a few minutes and decided that having no helpful stuff sucks. I realize now how just how much that couple of pages of setup help in the back of a Losi manual helped.

However, Kyosho does include some almost anime cartoons in addition to two pages of Japanese tech support information. That's the kind of great stuff Losi DOESN'T include! A couple of people I know bought the kit and had not opened it. I showed them the last two pages and said the entire manual was like that (in Japanese) just to mess with them. I'm evil.

Awesome information there Laterilus. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default front braces for the ZX5

Guys I will have a batch of front braces in on the 13th of December if anyone is interested ? They will sell for $30 and I will include the hardware so you can also use it on the rear as well ,you can send any inquiries to [email protected] TTYL Keith
Old 12-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

The tranny ratio of a ZX5 is 2.5:1 As for slipping diffs...It is the fact that the slipper doesn't slip first. The solution you ask???? Use a RC10B4 spur gear with RC10B4 slipper pads and set the slipper to factory settings. Works perfect without barking.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mremtr
Guys I will have a batch of front braces in on the 13th of December if anyone is interested ? They will sell for $30 and I will include the hardware so you can also use it on the rear as well ,you can send any inquiries to [email protected] TTYL Keith
Are you referring to outer hinge pin braces only, or inner ones as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.