Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing Tires off Pre-mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Have any of you done this with premounts? I heard those were near impossible to get off.

Originally Posted by lbenton
Not having done this I would not be the one to explain to my wife that I baked tires in the oven and that is why the house smells... not to mention the added flavor to how many meals.

I would either try to boil them or fume them with acetone, but in reality you are only likely trying to put banged up wheels in new tires. In time they can crack around the edges, get a wobble in them, or stretch out the area around the hex making it weaker.

For me, new tires = new wheels, might try to save good foams though.
Agreed. I'd cut into the tire if I really wanted the foam. I don't want to get pots just for tires as I wouldn't eat anything out of pot that's boiled tires.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Acetone.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Scargoes;13563123]But he wants to save the tires for use on another set of rims.

Oh, sorry. I thought he wanted the rims. Tyres never last long enough for me to do it the other way around
Old 09-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After spending year in engineering school and having worked for numerous engineering company ranging from chemical to commercial construction, I can tell you right now that if you value your house, dont bake your tires in your stove. INCREDIBLY stupid.
Second, boiling weakens the bond but you can kiss that pot goodbye. If you want to boil, buy a crappy walmart pot for $5 and just throw it away afterwards.
The best way to get the tires and rims apart without causing any damage is to soak in acetone overnight. Acetone is what they use in hospitals to remove super glue from people. Wanna know how I know? Just soak your stuff in acetone over night. It works great.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ridered4life250
After spending year in engineering school and having worked for numerous engineering company ranging from chemical to commercial construction, I can tell you right now that if you value your house, dont bake your tires in your stove. INCREDIBLY stupid.
Second, boiling weakens the bond but you can kiss that pot goodbye. If you want to boil, buy a crappy walmart pot for $5 and just throw it away afterwards.
The best way to get the tires and rims apart without causing any damage is to soak in acetone overnight. Acetone is what they use in hospitals to remove super glue from people. Wanna know how I know? Just soak your stuff in acetone over night. It works great.
bake em ! had to do it !
Old 10-01-2014, 03:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply's. My wife loves cooking and cooks all the time so I think the bake option is off the list. Will give the acetone a try. I have 3 sets of new front and rear pre-mounts sitting here and wanting to run a different offset wheel and different color which is why I am asking.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Acetone will essentially destroy closed cell foams. It will also shrink clay compounds. So just fyi if you wanted to know.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

And don't soak the tires/wheels IN the Acetone. It's the fumes that dissolve the glue. I use a couple of old wheels and set the wheels/tires I'm trying to de-bond on those. Keeps them out of the Acetone so that you don't need to use any hand protection to handle them, and doesn't soak the foam.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks, I have some old wheels/tires here, so will try it on them first.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Use a cheap toaster oven. 30 minutes at 325 degrees.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Acetone in a bucket with a lid works great. Leave your wheels in for an afternoon and it takes all the glue off. Won't ruin the tires or rims either unless they are painted. Foam usually dries out with no problem. Have to use the lid because acetone evaporates not to mention the fumes.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino
Have any of you done this with premounts? I heard those were near impossible to get off.
Yes. About a year ago Trevorstoybox (eBay seller) was closing out a bunch of discontinued Proline Premounts on Protrac wheels. They were litlle more than 1/2 the price of the tires alone. I bought a bunch, unmounted them, and put them (with their liners - see next comment) on the wheels I wanted to use.

Some premounts are glued better than others. The Blockades took easily 3 times as long to get off as the Tazers. Just happens some time.

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Acetone will essentially destroy closed cell foams. It will also shrink clay compounds. So just fyi if you wanted to know.
If that's your experience, you were doing something wrong. I've removed many a tire off a rim and never destroyed a closed cell foam.