R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Removing Tires off Pre-mounts (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/838698-removing-tires-off-pre-mounts.html)

Drift_Buggy 09-27-2014 04:22 PM

Removing Tires off Pre-mounts

Anyone know a safe way to remove tires off pre-mounts so I can mount the tires on other rims.

thebombster 09-27-2014 04:24 PM

Did you try boiling them? I never tried it but heard of oeople doing it

Fixmy59bug 09-27-2014 04:52 PM

You can boil them, bake them, or fume them with acetone...

Google search Unglue RC Tire

turtle189mt 09-27-2014 04:59 PM

bake in oven 405 10-15min on a cookie sheet make sure you open a window and hit the fan, keep your head back when opening the door smells

bob.less 09-29-2014 01:48 AM

Bake em !!!!! works slick !! keep the oven mitts handy !

pistol78 09-29-2014 04:48 AM

Yeah you won't want to cook food in your oven after that, unless you like your roast to taste like rubber. I just cut the old tyres off (this way you can save the foams) with a hobby knife, and then dremel the last bit of rubber and glue off. Takes about 10-15 minutes a set. Easy.

bob.less 09-29-2014 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by pistol78 (Post 13562963)
Yeah you won't want to cook food in your oven after that, unless you like your roast to taste like rubber. I just cut the old tyres off (this way you can save the foams) with a hobby knife, and then dremel the last bit of rubber and glue off. Takes about 10-15 minutes a set. Easy.

Too much work ! :eek:

elex300 09-29-2014 05:52 AM

Baking is the fastest way to do it. Another tip is if you use the Muchmore CA glue it will leave your rim perfectly clean after baking off the tires. You wont have to scrape the old stuff off like other CA's I have used in the past.

Scargoes 09-29-2014 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by pistol78 (Post 13562963)

But he wants to save the tires for use on another set of rims.

OP, I haven't done it yet but I've talked with local guys who say bake or use acetone. I just haven't worn out a set of tires yet... :(

Bondo21d 09-29-2014 12:11 PM

I've had the best luck using a heat gun. Kind of trashed the old rims a little, but the hexes were ate out anyway. Tires were fine, though take your time and make sure the tire is all the way loose or else it will rip. Might want a pair of welding gloves for taking the tire off. I heated them on my concrete shop floor.

Souk 09-29-2014 05:05 PM

Acetone is what I use and it works the best every time. Just look up removing rc tires with acetone and look for the URC video. That guy explains how to do it. It takes the glue completely off the rim and tire. U can even use the foams after just let them air dry and flip them over once one side gets smaller. don't try to rinse the foams with water or they will dry all weird.

lbenton 09-30-2014 04:39 AM

Not having done this I would not be the one to explain to my wife that I baked tires in the oven and that is why the house smells... not to mention the added flavor to how many meals.

I would either try to boil them or fume them with acetone, but in reality you are only likely trying to put banged up wheels in new tires. In time they can crack around the edges, get a wobble in them, or stretch out the area around the hex making it weaker.

For me, new tires = new wheels, might try to save good foams though.

ThePanda 09-30-2014 05:38 AM

Bake or boil, and then acetone. Softens the glue up so the acetone is much faster.

the incubus 09-30-2014 10:12 AM

I kept a toaster oven tray and pour acetone so it fills it half way and then soak the tires in it for a couple of hours with plastic wrap sealing in the vapors and keeping the acetone from evaporating and it works like a charm. From there I flip the wheels over and seal it back up. Tires come right off but CA residue can remain so I brush it off with a toothbrush and shake it off in a tub of lacquer thinner to get it all off the brush and repeat as needed before a final 2-5 minute soak in the acetone. As soon as I pull them out of the acetone for the final time I snap them hard and any remaining glue falls right off, leaving the wheels and tires clean. A bit of work but it doesn't harm anything except the cheap foam will expand and firm up a tad.

diamonddawg21 09-30-2014 11:31 AM

Acetone also, I use a home depot bucket with lid. I cut off the old rubber and keep the foams. through the wheel and what little tire I did not cut off into the acetone bucket. Come back in a day or so and they tire rubber has already come off or falls off when I touch it. keep the bucket sealed and the acetone last for a long time.