Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce! >

Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce!

Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Being new to the hobby, I just grub any tire I see fit (reading manufacturer literature) and just use it...

Is there some recommended reading that can be used as an intro to tire selection?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default WD40 vs Liquid Wrench

Running clay typos on both my sc10 and b5m. Been using wd40 with great results. Tried liquid wrench on my sc10 and no good. Wondering if it would work better on my buggy tires. Since they are the same as my sc10, I am assuming they would behave the same. Saw a video from Jason Snyder saying liquid wrench really worked well with his dirt webs. He was at a different track so I am thinking results may be track dependent or both track and tire dependent. Has anyone tried liquid wrench on clay typos with good results?
Old 05-03-2014, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Smile

Originally Posted by elex300
I used them last weekend. They are really good.
are they designed to be a soft feeling closed cell? Softer than JC Blue then? Softer than AKA RED? DO TELL!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Smile

Originally Posted by CENTRAL
Being new to the hobby, I just grub any tire I see fit (reading manufacturer literature) and just use it...

Is there some recommended reading that can be used as an intro to tire selection?

Thanks!
I haven't seen a really good book or even a small pdf on tire selection yet. There are some basic notes on Pro Lines site but not much. I"ll keep digging to see what I find.

Where do you race? What's the track surface like?

Tire selection is one of the harder aspects of tuning in my opinion. You have several factors to consider. Tire tread style, compound, inserts, wheels etc. That being said there are some basic rules to start with and also keep in mind that many tires will work and work well, some will just have different characteristics.

Tread selection: Basic rule of thumb, the harder and more packed the track the lower the tread depth you will want to use. Tracks with lots of loamy loose dirt on top you will want to use a tire that has longer pins so you can dig into the dirt. Again these are basic ideas here.

Compound wise: This also varies with track surface and temperature. Higher ambient temperatures you'll want to use a tire that is a littler harder. Colder temps use a softer tire. Here's a link to Pro Lines compound selection guide:

http://prolineracing.com/images/howt...poundChart.pdf

Also, a good thing to remember is that tire sauce like sticky kicks for example will make your tires softer. Some more than others. Much more in fact. This often allows you to get a tire that is in between compounds. By starting with a harder tire and softening with say WD40...

Everyone please jump in here with their ideas
Old 05-03-2014, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

I've been using WD40 on my tires for a few months now. I've tried it at a couple of tracks and I've noticed it works pretty well most of the time. You really have to let it dry thoroughly. I think it also helps to really work it into the tire with a brush. When I am using slicks I like to use a towel and rub the tire in a spot I've sprayed. My usual process is to apply WD40 on a toothbrush (your moms!) and then put the tires in a ziplock or other sealed bag overnight before I'm headed to the track. Then I will use sticky kicks at the track because it dries much faster.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Micah123
Running clay typos on both my sc10 and b5m. Been using wd40 with great results. Tried liquid wrench on my sc10 and no good. Wondering if it would work better on my buggy tires. Since they are the same as my sc10, I am assuming they would behave the same. Saw a video from Jason Snyder saying liquid wrench really worked well with his dirt webs. He was at a different track so I am thinking results may be track dependent or both track and tire dependent. Has anyone tried liquid wrench on clay typos with good results?
Used liq wrench last nite on typo clay buggy tires with great results. Will try again on short course tires today.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

What kind of track and which one if you don't mind sharing please
Old 05-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 13Maschine
What kind of track and which one if you don't mind sharing please
SDRC is San Diego. Super large indoor track with medium high bite surface. I apply only several minutes before race and leave wet when hitting the track. Takes just a few seconds to burn off excess and then tires hook up really well. I do the same with wd40 when I use it.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

are they designed to be a soft feeling closed cell? Softer than JC Blue then? Softer than AKA RED? DO TELL!!!
They are actually firmer then AKA. I trimmed down the ribbing on the inside to give them a softer feel. The material looks and feels like it will last longer then your normal closed cell foam. I like them alot.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

@micah: do you notice any difference if you let them dry first? I've been down to SDRC once or twice but it's been a while. It's a bit of a drive from Burbank! I'll come down again soon I'm sure. I need to show my gf the area. Thanks for your input!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 AM
Tech Addict

@micah: do you notice any difference if you let them dry first? I've been down to SDRC once or twice but it's been a while. It's a bit of a drive from Burbank! I'll come down again soon I'm sure. I need to show my gf the area. Thanks for your input!
Never tried letting them dry. Worked well on my sct tonite. Make sure to swing by La Jolla beach area. Be careful, the San Diego bug may hit you causing a move south.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Oh trust me I know….GF and I have been thinking about moving to Gardena/Huntington/Westminster etc. La Jolla might be a bit too far.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Which version of liquid wrench are you using? Lubricating oil in the blue bottle?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

You mentioned a time where liquid wrench didn't work, was that a different track or just a weird night?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Same track. Do not know reason. Best to try wd and lw and see which one works best. Moved to SD in the early seventies from orange county. North county sd is just a diff lifestyle. Quite a bit slower than la and oc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.