Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce! >

Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Tech Talk - Compounds, Wheels, Inserts, Sauce!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Does using sauce between the track days do any good? I usually go to the track on Wednesdays. So if I sauced the tires once a day the rest of the week do anything but waste the tire sauce?

Buzz.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Saucing the night before and putting them in a sealed bag has always done great for me, but it does degrade foams
Old 05-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I've found that generally speaking the open cell foam (usually white) that comes with many types of tires will often break down with water and especially with tire compounds. The Closed cell foams don't seem to break down as quickly if much at all. Seems I usually wear out the tire before the foam. I'm about to cut open my first few sets of tires that are worn out and see how the foams are. That being said I don't usually go saucing my tires unless I'm planning to hit the track the next day. Sometimes I will double up on the sauce if the tire feels like it has hardened up a bit due to age. I've also noticed if you leave your tires out of the bags for even a couple days they will usually get a bit harder. Hope that helps!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Welcome welcome ERIC! I also race at OCRC and SCVRC in Santa Clarita. Both have somewhat similar type surfaces being hard packed clay. SCVRC tends to have better tire wear in that I get many more runs out of a set. OCRC seems to wear tires much faster. I've been testing Pro Line IONS and also TYPOs. Both are really good.

How would you compare the Dirt Webs to the Typos? I don't have a set yet….Seems like they are the tire to have at OCRC these days.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 13Maschine
@Richie: That makes sense. My experience with using the harder closed cell foams like AKA reds is that you usually want to run softer suspension to compensate. Probably a bit less pack. The white open cell foams are like running pillows in your tires and running the AKA red type foams are a bit harder. I've found this is helpful when you have tons of traction though as in these situations the tire can tend fold over with softer foams.

side note I've found the pro line blue closed cell and j concepts also has a medium that are a little softer than the AKA. Also the panther orange foams are softer than AKA red it seems.
Yeah I've thought about testing out closed cells again to see if I could get them working better for me. I've only really tried the AKA reds so maybe I should try out a softer cc foam. When I did run closed cells, it seemed like the car could carry a little bit more corner speed with the tire not rolling over very much but at times was harder to drive. Do you usually use cc foam all around or just in the rear?
-Rich
Old 05-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RIchie-Peters
Yeah I've thought about testing out closed cells again to see if I could get them working better for me. I've only really tried the AKA reds so maybe I should try out a softer cc foam. When I did run closed cells, it seemed like the car could carry a little bit more corner speed with the tire not rolling over very much but at times was harder to drive. Do you usually use cc foam all around or just in the rear?
-Rich
Ways the lap times say?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

At the moment almost all of my tires have AKA red foams installed. I have one set of Panthers with panther orange closed cell foam, and one set of barcodes with Jconcepts blue foam.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Hey Guys, Thought this might help, Amazon has Liquid Wrench for 3.86 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was up at SCVRC this weekend breaking my Durango 410 and I tried both WD40 and Sticky kicks on my Pro line IONS in MC compound. I'm running AKA red foams. I really felt like I struggled with traction a bit. I usually apply the WD40 with a toothbrush and really work it in. I let it dry quite a while as well. I'm going to try Liquid wrench this next time around. I feel like I've had good luck with WD40 on my panther tires here though. Need to do some more testing. I was sitting next to a Pro Line driver that I don't' want to name but he was also using liquid wrench and I think he also used PB blaster. I'll have to ask him.

Will post back.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Are you heating the tires before application?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

I haven't tried heating them yet. Are you? Are you using tire warmers? I have considered that…..
Old 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Suspended

I was reading on a website other compounds they use to gain traction. Check it out http://elite-rc.net/thread/287/gain-...&scrollTo=2802
Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Ahh yes, the old light em up trick. This is classic.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 13Maschine
Ahh yes, the old light em up trick. This is classic.
I use a heat gun. I dont like fire.

Doesnt always work the same though... but when it works right the treated compound seems to last much longer. Heat before application. Dry with low setting on the heat gun. Apply sauce and air dry as needed.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I also drive at OCRC and finally tried using the Liquid Wrench (thanks LaRok) on a set of Gold Bar Codes with like 70% tread left. It actually did make a noticeable difference so I went out and bought my own can at WallyMart, was like $3.86 or something. Looking forward to a full day of sauced tires this Saturday.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

The Pro Line guys at my track last sunday put their tires outside in the sun to keep them warm and to help dry the PB blaster they were using. They also used Sticky Kicks blue.

I need to somehow use the exhaust from my charger to heat my tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.