Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what are 1/8 electric buggies missing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nv529
Honestly, I don't know why. We have one major E-buggy only race each year which is ROAR Nationals. Unfortunately most of the industry doesn't promote it. At last year's National only 6 "Pro level drivers" were present Dakotah Phend, Steven Hartson, Brian Kinwald, Richard Saxton, Ryan Lutz, and Austin Blair the remaining 180+ entries were regional racers. Compared to 10th scale or nitro nationals which has over 350+ entries and 30+ Pro drivers from every manufacture.
Belgium might be an exception then

Here we have no 1/8 nitro national championship anymore (which is sad but due to the lack of nitro drivers), but we do have an electric national championship since 3 years. So locally 1/8 electric is BIG, the most "serious" belgian racers all run electric.

I'm quite surprised about the relative lack of interest for high level competitions in this class in the USA. There is money to make for the companies and electric is growing so I don't see the problem. Maybe there is a nitro lobby
Old 02-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
That's weird.

4x4 1/10th buggy is completely extinct in NE Ohio. 2wd buggy is on life support at any track 1/8th or 4x4 SCT friendly, due to their finicky needs.

2wd stadium truck- Extinct
Truggy-life support
2wd SCT- 1 main, sometimes 2.
4x4 buggy- extinct.

I think it's more fun with things split. 1/10th scale tracks, for 1/10th scale. 1/8th and SCT tracks, for 1/8th and SCT.

You can't compare turnout numbers at Medina to places like the loft, Sparks, or the RC Factory.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

Yeah, I suppose that's true. I was thinking of a few other tracks as well though.

Is it weird having big cars and little show up on the same day? It seems to spell trouble in NE Ohio.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I would love a quick change battery system. Want to do E Truggy but locally the numbers just aren't there. Would be running with Nitros and screwed when mains are longer than 15 min.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The cost of electronics is silly ... Almo$t $300 for a e$c is nuts ! Then another $100 plus for a motor !! All that money and they offer mostly settings the average racer does not use, and questionable reliability at best . The fact that a used $75 dollar esc off craigs list has outlasted a fancy Tekin in the same basic application makes you wonder what all the money buys you.

One way to grow the class ? quote telling everyone that asks that they need to have high end sensored electronics to race ... Its just not true !

Is 1/8 e bug a IFMAR class ? I dont think it will get serious pro support until its on par with nitro . Having a single 30 minute main would certainly be more impressive than 3 10 minute mains.

I wonder if "stock" or "spec" 1/8 could be fun.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wittyname
The cost of electronics is silly ... Almo$t $300 for a e$c is nuts ! Then another $100 plus for a motor !! All that money and they offer mostly settings the average racer does not use, and questionable reliability at best . The fact that a used $75 dollar esc off craigs list has outlasted a fancy Tekin in the same basic application makes you wonder what all the money buys you.

Is 1/8 e bug a IFMAR class ? I dont think it will get serious pro support until its on par with nitro . Having a single 30 minute main would certainly be more impressive than 3 10 minute mains.

The ESC's do not cost $300. Please give a valid reason why 30 minutes is better than triple A's. And what is required to be "on par with nitro"?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Only if you are totally insane. That would make 8th scale even more of money pit than it already is. Then you would start getting experts running 1500kv motors and telling everyone how much more expertise it takes to run slower cars. I'll pass.

One of the great things about 8th scale is that it's run what you want and separate by driver skill.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=nv529;12975407]The ESC's do not cost $300. Please give a valid reason why 30 minutes is better than triple A's?[/QUOTE

Even at $ 200 dollars theyre too expensive.

Reason 1 : Nitro runs 30 minute mains , if you cant do it and they can , they must be better ... the thought of the common man

Reason 2: Easier to recover from mistakes in 3 seperate races than scewing up early and having to drive back through the field .

Reason 3: Tires using fresh tires 3 times , or run a set at race pace for a half hour .

Reason 4: Durability Ten minutes and take a break , then ten minutes and take a break isnt as impressive as beat on it for 30 minutes straight .
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by blade329
Only if you are totally insane. That would make 8th scale even more of money pit than it already is. Then you would start getting experts running 1500kv motors and telling everyone how much more expertise it takes to run slower cars. I'll pass.

One of the great things about 8th scale is that it's run what you want and separate by driver skill.
I was thinking more along the lines of Blinky 1/8 with unsensored 2000 kv motors.

My bad
Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

The ESC's do not cost $300. Please give a valid reason why 30 minutes is better than triple A's. And what is required to be "on par with nitro"?
i see what your thinking now ... The on par comment wasnt to imply I dont think they are on par . But , a lot of people dont think they are on par with the nitro class because they are not a big deal world wide.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Even at $ 200 dollars theyre too expensive.

Reason 1 : Nitro runs 30 minute mains , if you cant do it and they can , they must be better ... the thought of the common man

Reason 2: Easier to recover from mistakes in 3 seperate races than scewing up early and having to drive back through the field .

Reason 3: Tires using fresh tires 3 times , or run a set at race pace for a half hour .

Reason 4: Durability Ten minutes and take a break , then ten minutes and take a break isnt as impressive as beat on it for 30 minutes straight .
I can't seem to wrap my head around why some people think E-buggy should be exactly like Nitro down to the 30 minute main and Pit stops. Why should it? Sure, they share the same chassis, but they are two different classes!

30 minute main are great for Pro level racers that can maintain race pace within a few tenths without crash during the whole duration of the race. BUT let's be realistic 99% of club level nitro races the top 3-5 drivers are usually 2-5 laps ahead of the field after 30 minutes. Complete waste of time, fuel, and tires IMO.

i see what your thinking now ... The on par comment wasnt to imply I dont think they are on par . But , a lot of people dont think they are on par with the nitro class because they are not a big deal world wide.

You do understand nitro 1/8th buggy racing has been around for 30+ years and we didn't see the first mass produced E-buggy until late 2008, right??
Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

I can't seem to wrap my head around why some people think E-buggy should be exactly like Nitro down to the 30 minute main and Pit stops. Why should it? They are two different classes!

30 minute main are great for Pro level racers that can maintain race pace within a few tenths without crash during the whole duration of the race. BUT let's be realistic 99% of club level nitro races the top 3-5 drivers are usually 2-5 laps ahead of the field after 30 minutes. Complete waste of time, fuel, and tires IMO.

You do understand nitro 1/8th buggy racing has been around for 30+ years and we didn't see the first mass produced E-buggy until late 2008, right??

Your right...
Old 02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Tech Champion

You have to conserve your tires in long mains as well. Pit strategy and tire strategy make for more interesting racing IMO.

I wouldn't want long nitro mains every club day. But a 1 hour nitro A main every 1st weekend of the month would be sweet.

I like Ebuggy the way it is. As long as the mains are 10min. I'd like to see mains bumped to 11min. With just a 5100 pack I'm making 11min easy.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Have more electric cars than nitro from my sig. But I look forward to running nitro way more than electric. The noise and power delivery is everything for me . I feel electric to be just practice for real nitro racing :P. But great thread and great ideas. The more people get into electric the better for our hobby!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

near as i can tell most e-buggies seem to be missing a good driver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.