Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what are 1/8 electric buggies missing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Fletch7276
+1 on the battery swap concept. perhaps a design with no cords, just ports that the battery can slide into from the side. Leads plug in like USB, MicroSD etc. would have to be piggyback/square style, so could be slid out horizontally from the side
this would be the best solution

connectors should be integrated inside the battery casing and be standard and just clip on the buggy from the side like you mentioned

removing and installing the battery shouldn't require to remove the body either
Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

While not something "missing", electric cars should be lighter weight. That would go a long way for performance and efficiency. The idea of quick change batteries is interesting but the system would need to be extremely robust to be reliable. That could mean heavy. It would also mean being tied to a very specific battery type/shape.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
While not something "missing", electric cars should be lighter weight. That would go a long way for performance and efficiency. The idea of quick change batteries is interesting but the system would need to be extremely robust to be reliable. That could mean heavy. It would also mean being tied to a very specific battery type/shape.
At this point, most 4S hard case batteries are all within 1mm of each other so a standard case size wouldn't be that much of a problem.

There are some light weight 1/8th cars, but there is a limit as to how light you can go at official events.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

the system to fix the battery can be standard without the battery size being standard.. shape remains the same, they all look like a brick

for the connectors it would be another story.. we need a standard, 5mm bullet plugs is the best suited for 1/8 IMO

2S lipos have a standard in size and connector type, it could be the same in 1/8

For now there are too many movements to change a battery:

1. remove the body
2. open the velcro straps
3. unplug the battery
4. remove the battery

it should be a single gesture, slide-click&go! like charging a gun
Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

-ESC's that actually work and are as reliable as Novak 410m5 from the '80's. We're getting ripped off on ESC's big time. As if we're suddenly in bizarro world......HW makes the best ESC now!?!?

-Standard rubber mounted floating ESC mounts. Like the way servos mount with rubber blocks.

-better wire routing
-better BEC's in the ESC. Give me 8.4volts!

-NEW team drivers that actually test and improve their teams products. Hire someone that can actually BREAK an ESC during beta testing. When your team drivers didn't find any of the 100 crappy problems your new ESC has before shipping, maybe it's time for different team drivers. Seriously, is it really hard to find a racer that's killed every ESC on the market to test your stuff??? (I'll offer to blow up any ESC out there, send PM) Viper, Novak, Tekin, LRP have crappy beta testers. "Or tester had no problems at the ROAR Nats" Is not an excuse for dozens of local racers in my area with brand new $200 piles of CHARCOAL.

-Shock pistons with valves that open on rebound.

There's no need for supporting the rear of the motor. Just build a more robust motor. Billet motors like the Tekins seem to hold up best. Supporting the rear of the motor would mean we'd all have to run steel spur gears like Nitrobuggies. Gear mesh would change every time the chassis flexes, a plastic spur doesn't stand a chance if the rear of the motor gets flexed by the chassis. Floating motor setups work well, just need a robust motor can an correct chassis clearance. (My Xray XB9 E with a steel gear is smoother and quieter than my Tekno with a plastic spur)

Last edited by Zerodefect; 02-04-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Champion

Battery pit stops are kinda silly.....just run nitro. (gas 1/8th scale is coming, but like 1/5th scale, fuel stops are unlikely due to safety concerns)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
-ESC's that actually work and are as reliable as Novak 410m5 from the '80's. We're getting ripped off on ESC's big time. As if we're suddenly in bizarro world......HW makes the best ESC now!?!?

-Standard rubber mounted floating ESC mounts. Like the way servos mount with rubber blocks.

-better wire routing

-NEW team drivers that actually test and improve their teams products. Hire someone that can actually BREAK an ESC during beta testing. When your team drivers didn't find any of the 100 crappy problems your new ESC has before shipping, maybe it's time for different team drivers. Seriously, is it really hard to find a racer that's killed every ESC on the market to test your stuff??? (I'll offer to blow up any ESC out there, send PM) Viper, Novak, Tekin, LRP have crappy beta testers. "Or tester had no problems at the ROAR Nats" Is not an excuse for dozens of local racers in my area with brand new $200 piles of CHARCOAL.

-Shock pistons with valves that open on rebound.

There's no need for supporting the rear of the motor. Just build a more robust motor. Billet motors like the Tekins seem to hold up best. Supporting the rear of the motor would mean we'd all have to run steel spur gears like Nitrobuggies. Gear mesh would change every time the chassis flexes, a plastic spur doesn't stand a chance if the rear of the motor gets flexed by the chassis. Floating motor setups work well, just need a robust motor can an correct chassis clearance. (My Xray XB9 E with a steel gear is smoother and quieter than my Tekno with a plastic spur)
stronger BECs are a must have for sure, I'm tired to look for some room for external BECs ..

I have to agree with better testers for the controllers also, average racers and bashers, not top level racers.. the only ESC that held up for me is the MMP in 6S which I'm running in all my cars with a cc bec for the servo.. paired with a Tekin motor I haven't had a failure for the 2 last years

with weak motor mounts installing some foam under the motor helps drastically and still allows some flex... I run composite spurs on all my ebuggies and never had a problem with mesh changing in 4 years doig so. The only spur I stripped was because af a screw from the center diff that came loose and got stuck inbetween the mount and the diff. Now that I'm running "true" e-buggies I could get rid of it but I do it as a prevention
Old 02-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I'm happy with the current crop of chassis's. I just want world's level Events for this class. But for whatever reason, this class is still the "red headed step child of RC". The electric purest (10th scale guys) hate them because they "damage" the race surface or break their cars, and Nitro guys don't like them because they don't make noise or blow smoke out the side. IMO, E-buggy is the best bang for your buck club level race car. You can run indoors year around and sky the huge triple at your local outdoor during the summer. What more could you ask for?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nv529
I'm happy with the current crop of chassis's. I just want world's level Events for this class. But for whatever reason, this class is still the "red headed step child of RC". The electric purest (10th scale guys) hate them because they "damage" the race surface or break their cars, and Nitro guys don't like them because they don't make noise or blow smoke out the side. IMO, E-buggy is the best bang for your buck club level race car. You can run indoors year around and sky the huge triple at your local outdoor during the summer. What more could you ask for?
is there any rational explanation for not having serious races in the category? e-buggy is not new

I agree about the e-buggy being the best compromise, just got rid of all my 1/10 stuff because it costed me more than 1/8 to race (sounds weird but it's true). 1/8 electric is sooo much fun
Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Battery pit stops are kinda silly.....just run nitro. (gas 1/8th scale is coming, but like 1/5th scale, fuel stops are unlikely due to safety concerns)
Nitro sucks!! and there are places where they are not allowed. Why are battery changes silly? They were being done in the 1980's with pan cars, why not in 1/8th buggies now?

The M5 blew chunks. I had several that died for no apparent reason along with several other Novaks from back in the day.

If you want 8.4, just pull it off of the balance tap and call it a day. No need for a BEC.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pulse_
is there any rational explanation for not having serious races in the category? e-buggy is not new

I agree about the e-buggy being the best compromise, just got rid of all my 1/10 stuff because it costed me more than 1/8 to race (sounds weird but it's true). 1/8 electric is sooo much fun
Honestly, I don't know why. We have one major E-buggy only race each year which is ROAR Nationals. Unfortunately most of the industry doesn't promote it. At last year's National only 6 "Pro level drivers" were present Dakotah Phend, Steven Hartson, Brian Kinwald, Richard Saxton, Ryan Lutz, and Austin Blair the remaining 180+ entries were regional racers. Compared to 10th scale or nitro nationals which has over 350+ entries and 30+ Pro drivers from every manufacture.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

1/10th scale is dieing off anyways. They'll all be in E buggy soon enough. There's a few 1/10th style indoor tracks left that cater to only the 1/10th guys. I don't go there because they run weird wet pottery clay and slick tires. It's weird that they just don't give up and roll out some carpet and switch to 1/12th scale onroad?

But most tracks seem to be focused on 1/8th E buggy and 4x4 SCT.

Nitro is dieing off as well. It only exists as a hardcore trophy race now. Being that it's a worldwide class, and all the racers at that level have no problems with nitro tuning, it kinda makes more sense. If you CAN run nitro and longer mains, why wouldn't you???

Hardcore racing needs real engines and pit strategy IMO. Club racers leave the nitros at home now and run E buggy. I have more fun in 1/5th gasoline SCT anyways. I think that Ebuggy will rule club days, and nitro buggy will rule large events. I'm ok with that. Might actually be best for RC racing in general.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

1/10th scale is dieing off anyways. They'll all be in E buggy soon enough. There's a few 1/10th style indoor tracks left that cater to only the 1/10th guys. I don't go there because they run weird wet pottery clay and slick tires.

But most tracks seem to be focused on 1/8th E buggy and 4x4 SCT.

Nitro is dieing off as well. It only exists as a hardcore trophy race now. Being that it's a worldwide class, and all the racers at that level have no problems with nitro tuning, it kinda makes more sense. If you CAN run nitro and longer mains, why wouldn't you???

Hardcore racing needs real engines and pit strategy IMO. Club racers leave the nitros at home now and run E buggy. I have more fun in 1/5th gasoline SCT anyways. I think that Ebuggy will rule club days, and nitro buggy will rule large events. I'm ok with that. Might actually be best for RC racing in general.
Not in my area, 10th scale 2wd and 4wd buggy is pulling in numbers we used to get during the 90's. Last week's trophy race we had a full E-main of mod 2wd buggy and only 25 entries of E-buggy.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I think the majority of e-buggies are pretty darn good. I don't see a need for major changes. My main complaints are always about the lack of durability of the electronics. Companies want me to drop $200 on a speed control that lasts 6 months. That dog don't hunt. I abandoned the high end "trendy" stuff and now go for the cheaper options, like Speed Passion. I would also like to see some advances in lipos. I want to see longer lasting, lighter, less dangerous batteries.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

That's weird how different it is in other areas.

4x4 1/10th buggy is completely extinct in NE Ohio. 2wd buggy is on life support at any track 1/8th or 4x4 SCT friendly, due to their finicky needs.

2wd stadium truck- Extinct
Truggy-life support
2wd SCT- 1 main, sometimes 2. Sometimes a split for a stock class, which seems to kill SCT entries for months soon afterwards.
4x4 buggy- extinct.

I used to race 1/10th 2wd, I won't ever go back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.