Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lite weight ebuggy options and questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Read the ebuggy lite rules over at http://www.amainhobbies.com/Tracks/class-rules/. Randy Pike from Tekin and Ruben the race director over there came up with these rules. Basically max weight 7lbs, and you can use 2s, 3s or 4s setups as long as the motors are not full size buggy motors, and as long as the overall rpm is within the prescribed limits. It keeps the vehicles a reasonable speed, and it allows people to use the electronics that they want to.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Here's that link pasted over.

eBuggy Lite class is an indoor class for advanced/expert racers only, as the size and weight of the cars makes them potentially very dangerous. Drivers who do not exhibit proper control of their vehicles may not be allowed to race this division until his or her skills improve. The rules for this class are:

Chassis: Any 1/8th off-road 4-wheel drive buggy style chassis or converted 4wd SCT chassis
Motor: Any 540 or 550 based brushless motor.
Max length = 73 mm
Max Diameter = 36 mm
See motor battery combinations below for motor battery combination limits.
No full sized 1/8th scale electric motors allowed
Batteries: Hard case Li-Poly batteries
2-cell hard case Li-Poly battery
3-cell hard case Li-Poly battery
4-cell hard case Li-Poly battery. Hard case can not be larger than a 2-cell hard case
Length = 139 mm
Width = 47 mm
Height = 25.1 mm
Battery/Motor Combinations:
2-cell (2S/7.4v) with 4800kv motor limit (or 35,500 +/- 500rpm)
3-cell (3s/11.1v) with 2700kv motor limit (or 30,000 +/- 500rpm)
4-cell (4s/14.8v) with 2000kv motor limit (or 30,000 +/- 500rpm)
The goal is to put a cap on the overall rpm the motors can make with the battery
chosen. Note that the higher voltage lower kv setup is NOT an advantage and is the recommended power system for this division.
Tires Silver Dollar: Must use Proline Blockade X2 on the Silver Dollar outdoor track.
Tires: Any wheel with rubber tires intended for the class is allowed.
Bodies: Any 1/8th 4WD buggy body intended for the class.
Maximum Weight: 3200 grams. (The intent for 2013/2014 is to get this class developed and not enforce max weight. Max weight will be enforced with the start of the 2014/15 indoor season and 2015 outdoor season).

The only thing I think could be added is the use of 4s shorty packs, I don't really understand why they have limited 4s pack that have the same dimensions as 2s roar cases, a bigger 4s pack would only be a disadvantage on performance but would mean you could use the same packs as your full size 1/8 to save money if you wanted to, as long as you could still come in under the max weight rule.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I read through this thread and wondered something. The axial exo buggy is perfect for this class yet was never mentioned. Its basically a 1/8 buggy size and design but weighs 5-6lbs because the drivetrain is much lighter. I have a 4000kv motor in mine running on 2s and it is a perfect balance of speed, weight and power. Heres a pic comparing it to my 1/8 buggy

Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jpm1
Here's that link pasted over.

eBuggy Lite class is an indoor class for advanced/expert racers only, as the size and weight of the cars makes them potentially very dangerous. Drivers who do not exhibit proper control of their vehicles may not be allowed to race this division until his or her skills improve. The rules for this class are:

Chassis: Any 1/8th off-road 4-wheel drive buggy style chassis or converted 4wd SCT chassis
Motor: Any 540 or 550 based brushless motor.
Max length = 73 mm
Max Diameter = 36 mm
See motor battery combinations below for motor battery combination limits.
No full sized 1/8th scale electric motors allowed
Batteries: Hard case Li-Poly batteries
2-cell hard case Li-Poly battery
3-cell hard case Li-Poly battery
4-cell hard case Li-Poly battery. Hard case can not be larger than a 2-cell hard case
Length = 139 mm
Width = 47 mm
Height = 25.1 mm
Battery/Motor Combinations:
2-cell (2S/7.4v) with 4800kv motor limit (or 35,500 +/- 500rpm)
3-cell (3s/11.1v) with 2700kv motor limit (or 30,000 +/- 500rpm)
4-cell (4s/14.8v) with 2000kv motor limit (or 30,000 +/- 500rpm)
The goal is to put a cap on the overall rpm the motors can make with the battery
chosen. Note that the higher voltage lower kv setup is NOT an advantage and is the recommended power system for this division.
Tires Silver Dollar: Must use Proline Blockade X2 on the Silver Dollar outdoor track.
Tires: Any wheel with rubber tires intended for the class is allowed.
Bodies: Any 1/8th 4WD buggy body intended for the class.
Maximum Weight: 3200 grams. (The intent for 2013/2014 is to get this class developed and not enforce max weight. Max weight will be enforced with the start of the 2014/15 indoor season and 2015 outdoor season).

The only thing I think could be added is the use of 4s shorty packs, I don't really understand why they have limited 4s pack that have the same dimensions as 2s roar cases, a bigger 4s pack would only be a disadvantage on performance but would mean you could use the same packs as your full size 1/8 to save money if you wanted to, as long as you could still come in under the max weight rule.
Cool. Overall I think those rules are pretty good. I especially like the wheel/tire rule I agree about the battery addition, there's also the Amain brand EcoPower 4s packs (what I'm currently running) that are pretty light and smaller than most 4s packs, just not 2s size. And like you said, if you can come in under weight, you could re-use your batteries.
I guess not enough people use those 1506 (46mm long) and 1509 (54mm long) Neu motors anymore for that to be included in the rules. Too bad because they always seem to run cooler than the smaller diameter motors. Too few run sensorless anyways.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Cool. Overall I think those rules are pretty good. I especially like the wheel/tire rule I agree about the battery addition, there's also the Amain brand EcoPower 4s packs (what I'm currently running) that are pretty light and smaller than most 4s packs, just not 2s size. And like you said, if you can come in under weight, you could re-use your batteries.
I guess not enough people use those 1506 (46mm long) and 1509 (54mm long) Neu motors anymore for that to be included in the rules. Too bad because they always seem to run cooler than the smaller diameter motors. Too few run sensorless anyways.

Totally agree Matt, I'd love to try a 1509 2700 on 3s or a 1820 on 4s...

There just so hard to find here in Australia.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I really like running this buggy. On an indoor track you give up nothing to the heavy buggies. I am running 2s 540 4 pole and have my t8 limited to 50% very smooth acceleration and easy to control. Beats the tar out of the battery but I don't mind.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Thank you AMain for not making 2S the requirement for this new "class"!!

Basically take that stoopid oversize truck body off your SCT, put a buggy body on and a real battery (and appropriate motor) in it and pin it!

DESC410 is perfect for this; just remove body mounts from towers, put buggy ones on and done! Stoked I set mine up with 4S and low kv motor from the start! Going to look a little funny with buggy body and sct wheels/tires.

Short Course Buggy Lite....
Old 01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Precision1
Thank you AMain for not making 2S the requirement for this new "class"!!

Basically take that stoopid oversize truck body off your SCT, put a buggy body on and a real battery (and appropriate motor) in it and pin it!

DESC410 is perfect for this; just remove body mounts from towers, put buggy ones on and done! Stoked I set mine up with 4S and low kv motor from the start! Going to look a little funny with buggy body and sct wheels/tires.

Short Course Buggy Lite....

A desc410 will make a very light super light 1/8th buggy, I would have thought it might be a bit light duty for 4s, I'm also interested how you'll get 4s batteries into it but it will be fun once you've got it done!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

It looks as though those motors are 39mm diameter, is that correct? These rules aren't created by any sanctioning body, so I have to think that there is some flexibility while the class is in it's infancy. I would also like to see no voltage limit. The RPM limit is fantastic, so why limit the voltage?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Bringing this thread back to the top.
My idea for rules would be simple, since this is a "lite" class, all that needs to be done is limit the max weight. Since the minimum weight for 8th scale buggies is 7lbs, maybe the max weight for these could be somewhere around 6-6.5 lbs? As far as battery and motor rules, just leave them open. If you want a little enforcement, limit it anything that's ROAR approved (4s, 3s, 2s, 8th scale motors, 540 motors, anything). This way people coming from 8th scale can keep some of their stuff and people coming from 10th scale can keep theirs. In the future, I could see maybe limiting battery dimensions to the current 10th scale rules (thus still allowing 4s 3500 packs), motors with a smaller diameter can be longer (like T8i's or 550 4poles), and motors with a larger diameter to a shorter length (like Neu 1506s and 1509s).
Another thing you could do to increase class numbers is allow SC tires and wheels. For those that are currently running 4x4 SC allowing those wheels and tires would greatly reduce the cost of getting into a new class.
Anyway, these are just my opinions, I would love to see some more discussion on the class and find out what tracks are doing.
I been toying with this at our track for a couple weeks and im still over 7 lbs with a 2 cell and a 550 motor. Actually still 5 onces over with a HB VE8 that it was even heavier with the tekno conversion so I went back to stock. Its a blast to drive but I don't think even with the hara light weight stuff, I will even be close. It is fun to drive. I was even wondering what others have gotten an actual 1/8 running 2 cells down to in weight
Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cclifton
I been toying with this at our track for a couple weeks and im still over 7 lbs with a 2 cell and a 550 motor. Actually still 5 onces over with a HB VE8 that it was even heavier with the tekno conversion so I went back to stock. Its a blast to drive but I don't think even with the hara light weight stuff, I will even be close. It is fun to drive. I was even wondering what others have gotten an actual 1/8 running 2 cells down to in weight
I got a dex408 down to 3202g with a pro4 and 3s pack, I've currently got a mp9e at 3340g and it's fun at that weight with a pro4 hd and 4s shorty pack.

Most of the super light buggies are based of SCT platforms to get the low weight.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 AM
Tech Champion

if you really want to be light use more cells

sounds weird but I tested it and ended with a 1350kv motor with a 2200mah 5S lipo

the motor weights 274g (t8i) and the lipo 300g

in 2S temps will be much higher, draw massive amperage through the esc and you will lack in torque as well while having less runtime for the same overall weight

in 1/8 it's a no brainer: more cells is always better, especially for a light setup
Old 01-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

My Mugen Eco 6 was at 6.7lbs with a Hobbywing 4700kv motor and Reedy 7000mah 2s lipo. I didn't do anything to lighten the chassis. Just swapped motor and battery and ran. It was very controllable and easy to drive. But I was worried about over taxing the lipos. So I have since switched to the Tekin T8i with a 3500mah 4s lipo and I am still under 7lbs. The Hot Bodies Ve8 is definitely a heavier car though, I ran one for awhile back in the day. Not sure that you will be able to get it under 7lbs.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Totally agree Matt, I'd love to try a 1509 2700 on 3s or a 1820 on 4s...

There just so hard to find here in Australia.
The 1509 1820kv is a great motor. Ran it in my SC for awhile with Venom 4s 2500 packs. Could do a 10 minute race and my motor finished at 130-150 degrees.

A desc410 will make a very light super light 1/8th buggy, I would have thought it might be a bit light duty for 4s, I'm also interested how you'll get 4s batteries into it but it will be fun once you've got it done!
I think he'll be running dual shorties. A lot of guys were running dual shorties wired in parallel in SC for better runtime.

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
It looks as though those motors are 39mm diameter, is that correct? These rules aren't created by any sanctioning body, so I have to think that there is some flexibility while the class is in it's infancy. I would also like to see no voltage limit. The RPM limit is fantastic, so why limit the voltage?
Yeah, just about 40mm without any fins.
I think the voltage limit is there because there's hardly any hard case 5 and 6s packs. Plus, if your track wants ROAR batteries this makes it easy to tech.

The Hot Bodies is just simply a heavy car. I ran Hot Bodies a long time and they're great, just heavy
Over on RCTech, Shark413 has a thread where he made his D8 into a 2s SC truck, there might be some lightweight tips there.