Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:40 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AMorgan
How many people are running fans over the motor? I want to run my D413 this weekend but probably won't get a chance to get a fan until next week and I noticed most guys are running motor fans (I've always run them on ESCs in wheeler, but never on the motor). Any ideas on gearing for a 6.5? It looks like it goes anywhere from 21-24. I was thinking of going with a 22 and going up to 23 if temps looked decent.
22t pinion on my 6.5 with no motor and no ESC fan.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks, Jeremy. I'll start there then and see how it does.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AMorgan
How many people are running fans over the motor? I want to run my D413 this weekend but probably won't get a chance to get a fan until next week and I noticed most guys are running motor fans (I've always run them on ESCs in wheeler, but never on the motor). Any ideas on gearing for a 6.5? It looks like it goes anywhere from 21-24. I was thinking of going with a 22 and going up to 23 if temps looked decent.
24 pinion with a 7.0 reedy sonic mach 2 with no fan on motor.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Have any of you guys encountered a leaking diff?... I'm not too experienced with gear diffs and my car parked at home started leaking out of the bottom of the chassis front and rear diff... I may have filled them up too much?... I took it apart and the whole inside housing of the tranny case was covered in diff oil. But there were no cracks or anything in the diff case and it rotates smoothly everything seems legit... Suggestions?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stevomatik
Have any of you guys encountered a leaking diff?... I'm not too experienced with gear diffs and my car parked at home started leaking out of the bottom of the chassis front and rear diff... I may have filled them up too much?... I took it apart and the whole inside housing of the tranny case was covered in diff oil. But there were no cracks or anything in the diff case and it rotates smoothly everything seems legit... Suggestions?
There could be a few reasons why your gear diff is leaking. Some oil seeping out does seem to happen the first couple runs after you rebuild a diff, especially if you over fill them. I am guilty of consistently over filling my diffs, just so I know I have the same amount of oil in them each time. Check to see if you have the crown seated correctly, tightly screwed down (but like all things in RC not too tight ) and the gasket in place. Also check that you have your o-rings correctly fit on the outdrives.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt :-)
The info for the front diff oil on this link seems to work the opposite way for me.

In my experiences :

If my front diff oil is too thin, on throttle steering is too tight (oversteer). The car wants spin out when on throttle in a sweeper.

If it's to thick, I experience understeer, and the car wants to push to the outside of the turn when on throttle.

Maybe my driving style is different from the person who wrote the info in that link. He mentioned a few things that gave me the impression he was driving a nitro fueled car. Would that make any difference ? I've never ran nitro.

I do prefer to "throttle steer" through sweepers. I'm much lighter on the throttle in tighter, more technical turns.

For example, I started with 7/100/3 in my D413

Way too much on throttle steering (oversteer) in the sweepers. Hard for me to control.

Went to 15/100/3. Getting easier to control on throttle in the sweepers. Still just a little too much oversteer when on throttle in the sweepers.

Next time I go to the track, I may try going up in the front diff a little more 20/100/3 or possibly go down in the center 15/80/3. Still tuning.

I experienced the same pattern tuning my 8IGHT-E 2.0

First set up 10/10/3 had terrible understeer. Pushed to the outside of turns when on throttle.

Went to 7/10/5 very controlled and stable throttling through sweepers.

There's a Tekno sponsored driver at my local track. He's one of the fastest guys I've ever met. He's been teaching me how he tunes his diffs for throttle steering. It's really helped my lap times, and consistency.

Not trying to cause a stink over the subject. It just always surprises me to see how differently a tuning adjustment will react to different people.
Hi Matt, first let me say I am a rookie, so I have started with 7/10/5 my theory being that in my Tekno SCT410 that ratio is perfect I am both pretty quick and able to drive really smooth and controlled which is my style. So overall in my D413 it's easy to drive and really smooth. However there is one turn at my track I either had to square off or it would push wide trying to throttle it through. So I think I would like the front to pull a little more and I would like more overall bite, bark power to the ground, my thinking is to try 10/20/5? your thought on what achieve with this ratio?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

The info for the front diff oil on this link seems to work the opposite way for me.

In my experiences :

If my front diff oil is too thin, on throttle steering is too tight (oversteer). The car wants spin out when on throttle in a sweeper.

If it's to thick, I experience understeer, and the car wants to push to the outside of the turn when on throttle.

Maybe my driving style is different from the person who wrote the info in that link. He mentioned a few things that gave me the impression he was driving a nitro fueled car. Would that make any difference ? I've never ran nitro.

I do prefer to "throttle steer" through sweepers. I'm much lighter on the throttle in tighter, more technical turns.

For example, I started with 7/100/3 in my D413

Way too much on throttle steering (oversteer) in the sweepers. Hard for me to control.

Went to 15/100/3. Getting easier to control on throttle in the sweepers. Still just a little too much oversteer when on throttle in the sweepers.

Next time I go to the track, I may try going up in the front diff a little more 20/100/3 or possibly go down in the center 15/80/3. Still tuning.

I experienced the same pattern tuning my 8IGHT-E 2.0

First set up 10/10/3 had terrible understeer. Pushed to the outside of turns when on throttle.

Went to 7/10/5 very controlled and stable throttling through sweepers.

There's a Tekno sponsored driver at my local track. He's one of the fastest guys I've ever met. He's been teaching me how he tunes his diffs for throttle steering. It's really helped my lap times, and consistency.

Not trying to cause a stink over the subject. It just always surprises me to see how differently a tuning adjustment will react to different people.
Hi Matt, first let me say I am a rookie, so I have started with 7/10/5 my theory being that in my Tekno SCT410 that ratio is perfect I am both pretty quick and able to drive really smooth and controlled which is my style. So overall in my D413 it's easy to drive and really smooth. However there is one turn at my track I either had to square off or it would push wide trying to throttle it through. So I think I would like the front to pull a little more and I would like more overall bite, bark power to the ground, my thinking is to try 10/20/5? your thoughts on what achieve with this ratio?

Last edited by RockStew; 08-06-2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: double quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

How do you delete a quote totally? I somehow double quoted, and does this site sometime act kinda funny?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DWheels
There could be a few reasons why your gear diff is leaking. Some oil seeping out does seem to happen the first couple runs after you rebuild a diff, especially if you over fill them. I am guilty of consistently over filling my diffs, just so I know I have the same amount of oil in them each time. Check to see if you have the crown seated correctly, tightly screwed down (but like all things in RC not too tight ) and the gasket in place. Also check that you have your o-rings correctly fit on the outdrives.
Thanks for the info... I'll further investigate my diffs... I haven't opened them up yet to check out the inside because it was midnight last night when I got to that point but will tomorrow night... Track night tonight! (With my other cars that are working right now lol)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RockStew
Hi Matt, first let me say I am a rookie, so I have started with 7/10/5 my theory being that in my Tekno SCT410 that ratio is perfect I am both pretty quick and able to drive really smooth and controlled which is my style. So overall in my D413 it's easy to drive and really smooth. However there is one turn at my track I either had to square off or it would push wide trying to throttle it through. So I think I would like the front to pull a little more and I would like more overall bite, bark power to the ground, my thinking is to try 10/20/5? your thoughts on what achieve with this ratio?
Sent you a pm.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stevomatik
Thanks for the info... I'll further investigate my diffs... I haven't opened them up yet to check out the inside because it was midnight last night when I got to that point but will tomorrow night... Track night tonight! (With my other cars that are working right now lol)
If you haven't done this already, try smearing a uniform film of grease on both sides of the outdrive o-rings and paper diff gasket. This seems to be an unspoken rule of thumb in building gear diffs. I haven't had any diffs leak since another racer gave me the same tip.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

New electronics and cooling in place for Off Road Kings race this weekend!

Old 08-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DWheels
I talked to him today at LRH, he just filled his diffs too much, will be fine after a few runs.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

If you haven't done this already, try smearing a uniform film of grease on both sides of the outdrive o-rings and paper diff gasket. This seems to be an unspoken rule of thumb in building gear diffs. I haven't had any diffs leak since another racer gave me the same tip.
Learned that trick when I was running my XB4, have not had a leaking diff in any car since. Its the little things.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
I talked to him today at LRH, he just filled his diffs too much, will be fine after a few runs.
Ha!... Yea I know now not to fill to the brim of the case... Sticky mess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.