Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree66Likes

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I had an awesome time racing this weekend at the Minnesota Indoor Off Road Championship. At over 110 entries it was a pretty good holiday weekend turnout.

My D413 needed a bit of tuning to run well on our unconventional track, and by the last qual I had a car that I could run pretty hard. It was my first time racing in almost a year, so there were many cobwebs to shake out too; the car was better than my driving ability.

Torrance, you have designed a very rugged vehicle. I struggled with the relatively easy triple in the middle of the track with certain driver's stand positions. I know that I would have been at least $70 into arms and towers for my K car if I would have been driving it like I was driving the D413. The whole weekend I was handing the TX to people so they could drive the new machine, and the only thing that happened was one person popped a shock cap ball cup. Nothing broke. Spec Slash is a big class here, and there were times in practice where I was on the losing end of a Slash-Catastorphy, and always wheeled away in one piece. I think I was the only wheeler that made it through all my quals and the main in one piece. The wideness of people's eyes when I told them I had no spare parts and was still letting other racers run the car was priceless.

The mains aren't posted yet, but here is my best qual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBjNjxtWAsc
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Buggy should be here Thursday at the latest (c'mon UPS drive FAST. hoping for wednesday). formulating assembly plan. i figure when it gets here first thing i will do is seal all the edges of the carbon fiber parts and then cut out body and spray first coat of paint (will be doing quickie cheapo single color job on stock body for practice. i have a proline body being painted that should be SWEEEET that will hopefully be here next week). then i'll start assembly from beginning of instructions.

can't wait...
Old 05-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
Buggy should be here Thursday at the latest (c'mon UPS drive FAST. hoping for wednesday). formulating assembly plan. i figure when it gets here first thing i will do is seal all the edges of the carbon fiber parts and then cut out body and spray first coat of paint (will be doing quickie cheapo single color job on stock body for practice. i have a proline body being painted that should be SWEEEET that will hopefully be here next week). then i'll start assembly from beginning of instructions.

can't wait...
We're u able to order extra parts as well? If so from where?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

can't wait...
Awesome! Together we will lay waste to all comers in Norcal. We will put the D413 in places we never dreamed...wait that took a turn.

Cannot wait to have a D413 brother in the Bay!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jakesterama
I had an awesome time racing this weekend at the Minnesota Indoor Off Road Championship. At over 110 entries it was a pretty good holiday weekend turnout.

My D413 needed a bit of tuning to run well on our unconventional track, and by the last qual I had a car that I could run pretty hard. It was my first time racing in almost a year, so there were many cobwebs to shake out too; the car was better than my driving ability.

Torrance, you have designed a very rugged vehicle. I struggled with the relatively easy triple in the middle of the track with certain driver's stand positions. I know that I would have been at least $70 into arms and towers for my K car if I would have been driving it like I was driving the D413. The whole weekend I was handing the TX to people so they could drive the new machine, and the only thing that happened was one person popped a shock cap ball cup. Nothing broke. Spec Slash is a big class here, and there were times in practice where I was on the losing end of a Slash-Catastorphy, and always wheeled away in one piece. I think I was the only wheeler that made it through all my quals and the main in one piece. The wideness of people's eyes when I told them I had no spare parts and was still letting other racers run the car was priceless.

The mains aren't posted yet, but here is my best qual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBjNjxtWAsc
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That track is cool. Car looked good from what I can see.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

can't wait...
Build pics, plz! I'm so jealous.... I want to built it vicariously.... lol
Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedychris22
We're u able to order extra parts as well? If so from where?
nah, i bought it off ebay so i'll be working without a net (no spares).

Originally Posted by AlderBoy
Awesome! Together we will lay waste to all comers in Norcal. We will put the D413 in places we never dreamed...wait that took a turn.

Cannot wait to have a D413 brother in the Bay!
if i can put it together in time i'll be racing sunday at norcal. i'll wait until i figure out a chassis protector solution before running at delta.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nv529
This error is on the build instructions, page 10.
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman
112784 is the complete center diff set which includes the 72T spur. the original problem mentioned something about gear shims which are 112963 but i'm not seeing that error.
-
Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jakesterama

this kind of race report for me is equally pleasant to see as a huge win from Ty
Old 05-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Add me to the list of people racing with no spares yet Ty's OCRC setup on a small, smooth, medium grip track. Only 6 entries friday night, but gave it a workout. TQed and won the 8 min main, 5.5 with 21 pinion (throttle EPA down to 85%) , no fan on motor or RSX, came off about 135 degrees on both and I was pushing hard in the main to test temps. Not sure where the high temp concerns are coming from, just run your normal wheeler settings/ratios and it should be fine. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some folks are under geared heating up the motor. Let three other people drive it afterwards, no worries and everyone liked it (one person is ordering one ASAP). Fast laps were about the same as my old D4, but more consistent and easier to drive. But still has some tenths to drop I can tell. A few sphincter tightening tumbles but no breakage. With two hole pistons, rear 1.7 30WT Losi oil, front 1.6 35 Losi oil, 10-100-2k diffs, felt a little soft but glued and plenty of steering. Ran copper rear sway only, might stiffen rear bar and try a light front one next time. Plenty of off power steering, no big on-power push, but would like a bit more on-power steering to pull it more through the sweeping turns. Ran Pink fullslot fronts, green pressure point rears. M4 ions are best on our track, but wear pretty fast. The pressure points allow it to rotate a bit more and don't wear as quick from what I've seen. Overall super happy, though I'm a little sad to retire the D4, might have to make it a shelf queen instead of selling it.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i'll wait until i figure out a chassis protector solution before running at delta.
Before I built my car, I took the chassis protector (in my case jconcepts) but you can use any other) and trace the chassis onto the protector. I did 4 of them. I'm hoping when I get through all of those, some pre-made solutions will be out by then. And when completed, I just cut them out with scissors and they were as good as any pre-made one that I have used in the past.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pullinteef
Add me to the list of people racing with no spares yet Ty's OCRC setup on a small, smooth, medium grip track. Only 6 entries friday night, but gave it a workout. TQed and won the 8 min main, 5.5 with 21 pinion (throttle EPA down to 85%) , no fan on motor or RSX, came off about 135 degrees on both and I was pushing hard in the main to test temps. Not sure where the high temp concerns are coming from, just run your normal wheeler settings/ratios and it should be fine. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some folks are under geared heating up the motor. Let three other people drive it afterwards, no worries and everyone liked it (one person is ordering one ASAP). Fast laps were about the same as my old D4, but more consistent and easier to drive. But still has some tenths to drop I can tell. A few sphincter tightening tumbles but no breakage. With two hole pistons, rear 1.7 30WT Losi oil, front 1.6 35 Losi oil, 10-100-2k diffs, felt a little soft but glued and plenty of steering. Ran copper rear sway only, might stiffen rear bar and try a light front one next time. Plenty of off power steering, no big on-power push, but would like a bit more on-power steering to pull it more through the sweeping turns. Ran Pink fullslot fronts, green pressure point rears. M4 ions are best on our track, but wear pretty fast. The pressure points allow it to rotate a bit more and don't wear as quick from what I've seen. Overall super happy, though I'm a little sad to retire the D4, might have to make it a shelf queen instead of selling it.
I also ran my car last weekend and had about the exact same findings as you. For me, my temps never got above 125 (I run a vst2 5.5 with 21 t pinion). I also have the same shock package and also felt it a little soft, so I am upping to 37.5 and 32.5 for the next time out.

And I also would like to get more on power steering. Off power steering was great to the point I would easily trade off some for on power steering. Not sure what I will be doing for this one.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeleon
I also ran my car last weekend and had about the exact same findings as you. For me, my temps never got above 125 (I run a vst2 5.5 with 21 t pinion). I also have the same shock package and also felt it a little soft, so I am upping to 37.5 and 32.5 for the next time out.

And I also would like to get more on power steering. Off power steering was great to the point I would easily trade off some for on power steering. Not sure what I will be doing for this one.
Obviously thickening the front diff will get a little more on-power steering too, but I was leaning more towards other changes as I liked the diff feel. This was the first night I've ever driven a gear diff 1/10 scale and I wasn't sure at first, but it felt very comfortable after a few runs. What was amazing was that with all the steering it wasn't even a tiny bit loose in the rear.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeleon

Can you remove some rear droop?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pullinteef
Obviously thickening the front diff will get a little more on-power steering too, but I was leaning more towards other changes as I liked the diff feel. This was the first night I've ever driven a gear diff 1/10 scale and I wasn't sure at first, but it felt very comfortable after a few runs. What was amazing was that with all the steering it wasn't even a tiny bit loose in the rear.
Originally Posted by symmetricon
Can you remove some rear droop?
I was wondering if I could play with the arm positions a little. Since I don't have an extra 2 dot arm holders, I can't match exactly what Ty had. Reading what Ty said, I might try going 2 and 3 in the front (I'm currently on 1 and 2). But let's see how the oil changes the cars handling first as I don't want to change too much at one time.

And almost forgot to mention that I am already running 15k in the front diff and still felt the need for a little more on power steering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.