Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Stock gearing for the car using 1900kv tekin?? Everyone having good results with plastic spurs? Gearing the car taller make the motor temps go up I assume? Is there a need for gearing change or can you change the power curve with the hotwire?

I'm new to electric....we have a track here that is HUGE and I gear my nitro up to let it stretch it's legs and it works well....I assume a coue gearing options in the box can't hurt, but we all know what assuming does....I just want to make sure I stock the right stuff....ordering next week
Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by motoclay
Stock gearing for the car using 1900kv tekin?? Everyone having good results with plastic spurs? Gearing the car taller make the motor temps go up I assume? Is there a need for gearing change or can you change the power curve with the hotwire?

I'm new to electric....we have a track here that is HUGE and I gear my nitro up to let it stretch it's legs and it works well....I assume a coue gearing options in the box can't hurt, but we all know what assuming does....I just want to make sure I stock the right stuff....ordering next week
I use the E 3.0 setup sheets on TLRacing.com, identify which track they apply for, go to youtube and find a clip from that track, and indentify tracks that are similar to the ones I'm driving on. Then I copy that specific setup and go from there.

For example, the setup sheet that Dakotah Phend posted here applies for a track that is similar to the one I'm driving on mostly, so i copy this setup.

Off course different driving styles influences on which setup is right for you, but as a non pro driver, a good proven setup is better than leaving you self to your own devices.

You ask about gearing, pinions etc. That info are also on the TLR setup sheets.

I use the 45T metal spur gear. I provides unquestionable duarbility. Some have no problems with the plastic ones. Go metal if you want to be safe.

And on the "non serious" side of things, I like the raw metallic sound of a metal spur gear. It gives the car its own "sound", as opposed to nitro cars :-)
Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you pick up 14-16 tooth pinion gears you will be set for pretty much any track with a 1900kv on 4S.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
If you pick up 14-16 tooth pinion gears you will be set for pretty much any track with a 1900kv on 4S.
+1

I run the 45T metal spur gear and run with 14T pinion and gear up to 15T if needed.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The metal spur gear is extra noisy right? I have my doubts about the plastic gear but I don't want it to sound like a janky ass pick up on a dirt road....
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

The metal spur gear is extra noisy right? I have my doubts about the plastic gear but I don't want it to sound like a janky ass pick up on a dirt road....
Yes, the metal spur gear makes extra noise. But I like my car to have a "noise" or "sound".
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run a fairly large track that has lots of technical areas and jumps. In my nitro converted 3.0 I'm running a 17t pinion on my tekin 1900kv with a 45t spur (metal). My motor temps at maybe 100* in ten minutes. The battery is never warm. I have plenty of power in the infield and can run with the 2650kv motors down the straight.

I tried running a 13 and a 15t on the same track and after 5 minutes the battery was really hot to touch and the motor was also hot - when I geared up everything balanced at 16t and 17t pinion.

My thought is the motor was more consistently at full RPM and the battery was discharging at its max rate through the ESC. With the higher tooth pinion the torque was awesome and the temps dropped to almost nothing.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by offr0aden
I run a fairly large track that has lots of technical areas and jumps. In my nitro converted 3.0 I'm running a 17t pinion on my tekin 1900kv with a 45t spur (metal). My motor temps at maybe 100* in ten minutes. The battery is never warm. I have plenty of power in the infield and can run with the 2650kv motors down the straight.

I tried running a 13 and a 15t on the same track and after 5 minutes the battery was really hot to touch and the motor was also hot - when I geared up everything balanced at 16t and 17t pinion.

My thought is the motor was more consistently at full RPM and the battery was discharging at its max rate through the ESC. With the higher tooth pinion the torque was awesome and the temps dropped to almost nothing.
Yes you have to adjust gearing to the track some. Running at red line is not good on any of the system.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Team Tekin

I'm running 14/43 and it is perfect just about everywhere I've been. Plastic spur has been good to me, love how quiet it is.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

How does this car drive compared to the kyosho. I have the kyosho and just winding if it is worth switching. I like the kyosho just parts are too expensive.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by masin14
How does this car drive compared to the kyosho. I have the kyosho and just winding if it is worth switching. I like the kyosho just parts are too expensive.
That's the kind of question you will never find a straight answer for

In this thread, people will say yes, on the Kyosho thread they will say no.

You can find some people who came from Kyosho to TLR and liked it or disliked it. And vice versa.

You probably need to try for your self to know.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin
That's the kind of question you will never find a straight answer for

In this thread, people will say yes, on the Kyosho thread they will say no.

You can find some people who came from Kyosho to TLR and liked it or disliked it. And vice versa.

You probably need to try for your self to know.
OK thanks I will probably order it this week.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:30 PM
rcq
Tech Adept

Hello
I have get good price for this buggy so I have to order very quickly this model. Can you surgest what extra parts I have to order to have it neare the hand.
THe most interesting what diff and shock oils, swaybars, springs and shochs pistons need to have for first try .

Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I can tell you the 8ight-E is the current national championship car. Second at the Dirt Nitro Challenge. So very podium capable. Parts are a lot cheaper but best part is you should not need any/many as the car is VERY durable.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I've had my 8ight e 3.0 almost since it came out and I never noticed my motor mount plate was machined wrong. I've only run it a few times though. I thought it was just a wacky design. It has a screw hole on the other side so the slot for tightening the pinion was facing my battery. Horizon is sending me a new one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.