Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Least parachuting SC body >

Least parachuting SC body

Least parachuting SC body

Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Least parachuting SC body

Hey everyone I was looking to get a new body. All I really need is a durable body and really parachute-free. I had the TLR High-Performance body, but it was very thin and broke really fast. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That's the holy grail of SCT... doesn't really exist.

You want a body that will last, don't put a bunch of vent holes in it. You want a body that won't parachute, you gotta put a bunch of vent holes in it.

If you try setting the truck up in the air, so the nose flies down, it won't parachute near as bad.

Either coast off all jumps or just barely blip the brake right after you leave the lip. Takes a bit to get it right, and it won't work all the time, but it will help a lot. I drive outdoors 95% of the time, and flying nose down will get me over the big triple when most guys are getting blown backwards.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Addict

Has anyone ever considered sealing off the sides of the body to make it sealed to the chassis similar to a buggy? Or the 22T how it has the flaps on the body that seal it to the chassis
Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Like this but more
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC8daBOMB

Like this but more
In my opinion that would not really accomplish anything. There is still plenty of open area for air to get in a parachute. Also, IMO, what your looking for doesn't exist. As the previous person said, SCT = Parachute. Unless you cut a bunch of vents in it which is fine, you just lose durability. It does suck but at some point you just have to choose, no parachute or no durability. As a side note, you could cut a bunch of vents and eliminate the parachute and just not wreck??. If that was only possible.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You could always just use a body reamer to make your vent holes. Less chance of a circle to tear than something you might do with your dremel or body sissors.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MonsterSummit
In my opinion that would not really accomplish anything. There is still plenty of open area for air to get in a parachute. Also, IMO, what your looking for doesn't exist. As the previous person said, SCT = Parachute. Unless you cut a bunch of vents in it which is fine, you just lose durability. It does suck but at some point you just have to choose, no parachute or no durability. As a side note, you could cut a bunch of vents and eliminate the parachute and just not wreck??. If that was only possible.
Okay then my next question is which company makes the best high flow body? Proline high flow, or JConcepts high flow come to mind.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I really like my High-flow... with all the vents cut out, it doesn't seem to parachute AS much... but of course still does. I also think its pretty dang durable.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I really like my High-flow... with all the vents cut out, it doesn't seem to parachute AS much... but of course still does. I also think its pretty dang durable.
Same here. Plus with all the vent hole cut outs, ur body becomes significantly lighter.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BillyT.
That's the holy grail of SCT... doesn't exist.
+1

The factory 22SCT body might be a little thin, bit I would imagine the TLR designers did it with a purpose - to eliminate weight high in the platform that adversely affects the handling by raising the COG.
IT'S A RACE BODY!

There are other aftermarket high-flow bodies, that are probably a little thicker, offered by any one of a number of manufacturers. Get one of them.
But keep in mind that much of the so-called problem with high-flow bodies tearing up quickly is from cutting out all the venting (every cut is somewhere you've weakened the body). So in that sense, by wanting any anti-parachuting, you're being your own worse enemy.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MonsterSummit
In my opinion that would not really accomplish anything. There is still plenty of open area for air to get in a parachute.
+1
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I would recommend the JC Hiflow. I paint a lot of bodies and that one seems to be one of the best for longevity. It does have a ton of vents and most of them have a good bevel around them so the body stays fairly sturdy.

I havent seen very good results from the TLR body. The lexan just seems brittle.

Cutting round vent holes does really help too. If you do want to cut the shaped holes out, use a dremel with a 1/4" carbide cutter. They cut really clean and the corners are round.

Also the jumping attitude is a big part of parachuting. Keeping the nose down so the air cant get under the body is probably 3/4 of the solution.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A cage, like what comes with the SC8, then cut out all the windows and vents... that would be the way to go.

I would give up the little bit of weight for the ability to lose all the parachute.

Too bad the SC8s are so big. Would take quite a bit of work to get one of those cages on a regular SCT. Initially I though you could just shorten it, but the cab section is too wide also...
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

As kain said I found the JC HiFlow to be the most durable with great venting.

The FTW body is very durable with great venting and there's only 2 vents... who wouda thunk it?
But if this is for your Mugen that your thinking of converting... the FTW body is kind of old school narrow and won't fit very well if your going to get out to the max 296mm width.
JC HF fits my Mugen best of any I've tried.

There's also someone selling double thick sc bodies on ebay... my buddy and I have a body being prototyped that is double thick as well. Will see how it goes, mold is done now just having issues pulling the sides down cleanly. May have to go the next step down in thickness but still thicker than all the others.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BillyT.
A cage, like what comes with the SC8, then cut out all the windows and vents... that would be the way to go.

I would give up the little bit of weight for the ability to lose all the parachute.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.