Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Novak Pulse new power house speed controller! >

Novak Pulse new power house speed controller!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Pulse new power house speed controller!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plumbcrazy
I have had nothing but issues with my pulse. The first one went up in flames while doing the initial programming. I contacted Novak and they did send a new one to me. The second one worked for about 4 minutes. I believe the sensor board went bad. The on board sensor test shows that it is not the wire. When it's powered on, there is a solid red light, and of course the white blinky. It will not register when the throttle is applied. I can spin the wheels by hand and it works, kind of, very rough, but as soon as the wheels stop or brake is applied it stops working again. I have tried this system in multiple vehicles, I can assure that there is no binding in the trans on any of them. Is there a way to fix this issue without sending it back in? I have been unable to race for almost a month now due to faulty Novak electronics. I have had novak in the past when I ran carpet cars with no issues. This was back in the GTB days. Has the quality of the Novak esc's gone down in the past few years?

Fortunately and unfortunately this is What I.was looking for after reading through.4 pages. I emailed novak lastnight and Charlie responded.immediately and it was allomost 10pm. Now this was regarding the.550 ballistic motor not esc. But I have been looking into buying a second esc for a backup to my rx8. But reading something like this doesn't want to make me shell out $200. I bought. My rx8 used. Guy.before me had it in a basher scrt10. And I have had about 7 race weekends on it with no issues. I even had my 550 seaze a bearing and all most melt down but the rx8 is still.going. really love the ballistic 550 motors. So much that I traded a brand new pro4 4600 for a almost née 550 4.5 to sit next to my 550 5.5. Just kind of hoping I.could run.the novak esc In front of one. But I think if I get one I'll get the activ8. I have an sc10 4x4 and the rx8 fits it looks like the activ8 is the same size. Am I.wrong f? Is that overkill?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have had nothing but issues with my pulse. The first one went up in flames while doing the initial programming. I contacted Novak and they did send a new one to me. The second one worked for about 4 minutes. I believe the sensor board went bad. The on board sensor test shows that it is not the wire. When it's powered on, there is a solid red light, and of course the white blinky. It will not register when the throttle is applied. I can spin the wheels by hand and it works, kind of, very rough, but as soon as the wheels stop or brake is applied it stops working again. I have tried this system in multiple vehicles, I can assure that there is no binding in the trans on any of them. Is there a way to fix this issue without sending it back in? I have been unable to race for almost a month now due to faulty Novak electronics. I have had novak in the past when I ran carpet cars with no issues. This was back in the GTB days. Has the quality of the Novak esc's gone down in the past few years?
You may want to try a new sensor harness wire (the one that connects esc to motor), would you like to try that and report back to see if that works?

My first thoughts initally was bad motor can lead to esc failure, but you mentioned trying a different motor, so if you did that. That would not be the case.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4wd Racer
You may want to try a new sensor harness wire (the one that connects esc to motor), would you like to try that and report back to see if that works?

My first thoughts initally was bad motor can lead to esc failure, but you mentioned trying a different motor, so if you did that. That would not be the case.

Thanks
This was my first thought as well. In fact, I went and purchased a brand new LRP wire and it didn't help. I borrowed a few different ones from guys at the track, same story with all of them. The only thing I have not done is try a sensor less motor, personally I don't like sensor less motors that's why I shelled out for, what I thought was top of the line, Novak. I am making a list of new esc's at this time and comparing them all. If Novak sends me another new one, look for it in the classifieds! After almost 10 years of racing and being loyal to Novak I've had enough.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by socal23
Fortunately and unfortunately this is What I.was looking for after reading through.4 pages. I emailed novak lastnight and Charlie responded.immediately and it was allomost 10pm. Now this was regarding the.550 ballistic motor not esc. But I have been looking into buying a second esc for a backup to my rx8. But reading something like this doesn't want to make me shell out $200. I bought. My rx8 used. Guy.before me had it in a basher scrt10. And I have had about 7 race weekends on it with no issues. I even had my 550 seaze a bearing and all most melt down but the rx8 is still.going. really love the ballistic 550 motors. So much that I traded a brand new pro4 4600 for a almost née 550 4.5 to sit next to my 550 5.5. Just kind of hoping I.could run.the novak esc In front of one. But I think if I get one I'll get the activ8. I have an sc10 4x4 and the rx8 fits it looks like the activ8 is the same size. Am I.wrong f? Is that overkill?
i have bought three systems from novak installed two no issues. I would not be really worried about it...
Old 02-28-2013, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racerob1983
i have bought three systems from novak installed two no issues. I would not be really worried about it...
Why does your anecdotal experience trump plumbcrazy's?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Jason ran brand new Pulses in his 4x4 mod buggy and 4x4 SCT when we raced at the JConcepts winter nationals a couple weeks back down by you. They worked very well for him and had no issues. In the past we have run numerous brands of ESCs and I can honestly say that I have had some sort of trouble with every one of them at some point including the Novaks. Yes it can be frustrating but many times it seems the latest and greatest products from any of the companies can take some time to get the bugs worked out. I have found Novak to be the easiest to work with and even if I go back and forth a couple times I will get my problem resolved. I have also learned to carry a back up esc, motor, fan, wires etc. for everything no matter what brand Jason is running just part of the deal when racing I have found. Good luck with your effort I am confident you will get it up and running and if you stick with the Pulse you will find it to be an awesome ESC.

Keith.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

A quick update. I spoke with Novak about this issue. They are sending me a new pulse system. They have also sent me a shipping label to send the broken one back. They are not waiting for the broken one to return before sending the new one either. Customer service could not be better at Novak. With this new info, I will be installing it in my b44.2 and seeing if it works. I will keep adding updates as I have them come in.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

This was my first thought as well. In fact, I went and purchased a brand new LRP wire and it didn't help. I borrowed a few different ones from guys at the track, same story with all of them. The only thing I have not done is try a sensor less motor, personally I don't like sensor less motors that's why I shelled out for, what I thought was top of the line, Novak. I am making a list of new esc's at this time and comparing them all. If Novak sends me another new one, look for it in the classifieds! After almost 10 years of racing and being loyal to Novak I've had enough.
I was also thinking maybe you could try/or borrow (LOL) another brand's ESC to try in your car to see if you can duplicate the issue before installing the 3rd Pulse ESC system.

I was wondering are you soldering the A, B, C wires in the correct order? The reason why I ask, I cannot count the few times I've had come across incorrectly esc/motor hook up by others where the A & C phase was mixed up (not on purpose of course as it happens), but I noticed more than often the B (middle wire/phase) was always correct. I have to at least ask, sorry, just to be safe. I would double check this. I hope you get it figured out, as we want to see you run Novak.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

A quick update. I spoke with Novak about this issue. They are sending me a new pulse system. They have also sent me a shipping label to send the broken one back. They are not waiting for the broken one to return before sending the new one either. Customer service could not be better at Novak. With this new info, I will be installing it in my b44.2 and seeing if it works. I will keep adding updates as I have them come in.
Wow! Go Novak!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default That's nothing

Once I completely screwed up a motor swamping staters they fixed it and shipped it back priority. I am on east coast they are on west. I had problem solved in same week. No and I mean no one has that fast of service.

I am proud I am back using these guys , they are very good for this industry!

Great sponsors of tons of events....
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default Amain has them back in stock...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-w-Super-Tuner

Also got a great video up for setting it. Or support your local hobby store!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default Reports

Anyone else get the Pulse going yet? What you think.....
Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by racerob1983
Anyone else get the Pulse going yet? What you think.....
... I think whoever is wiring them up at the factory needs a talking to
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM

Default pulse

hey guys how are the pulse systems doing????? i got a traxxas slash with the strc chassis, tekno drive shafts, and i am between 2 systems novak and hobbywing. i will be racing on a out door 1/8 scale track. talk to me guys
Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kyoshoracer77
hey guys how are the pulse systems doing????? i got a traxxas slash with the strc chassis, tekno drive shafts, and i am between 2 systems novak and hobbywing. i will be racing on a out door 1/8 scale track. talk to me guys
I have mine in my b44.2. So far it's just ok, I'm really not thrilled with it. About the best thing on it are the brakes. The size is just ok, i have had 4 fan go out on it, the external bec is huge, and there is no optional program box. I am comparing this to the Orion r10 pro I bought. The Orion out performs the Novak every time, temps, power draw, feel, just in my opinion a better esc. Personally I feel that the Novak pulse is just not up to par with some of the other systems out there today. Especially for the price being similar to all the others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.