Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Low Voltage

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you got a 2s pack up to 14v, your lucky you didnt burn your house down.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
If you got a 2s pack up to 14v, your lucky you didnt burn your house down.
+1

p.s. venom isn't the best of brands in terms of quality. js
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A voltmeter would go a long way in determining where the issue is.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by shagnat
+1

p.s. venom isn't the best of brands in terms of quality. js
I beg to differ...all I use is venom, have been for the last 2 years!!!
Lipos and charger r venom.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would suggest steering clear of Venom motors - had nothing but problems with them.

So it looks like I've got a collection of dead packs. I only have 2 buggys that the 4 packs will fit into, so it seems strange to me that it would be an issue of having left them plugged in.

I will set them aside until I have totally written them off, at which point - how should I dispose of them? I understand there is a process, but I am not familiar with it. Any advice would once again would be welcome.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Is it possible to put your packs on a battery checker or use a multimeter across the balance plug to check cell voltage?

Also if you can justify the cost next time you purchase a charger it might be worth getting a better quality charger, the better charges can give you internal resistance values so you know when your packs are getting tired, they are also able to bring packs back up from under 3.0v per cell like Nimh does, they also seem to balance and condition your packs better, plus the added benefic if you chose to use it, is that they can charge at more then 1c which would mean you have to buy less batteries to keep you running.......
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

do you have any issues with the connectors you are using for charging? I started having an issue with lipo not being detected with my hyperion. Things would just not charge but the message was not exact.

Bought a ThunderPower charger cheap and tried it with the same connector, had an issue where it couldn't detect the batteries. Took the connector apart, bit more solder here and there, and the issue was fixed.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Not to jump his thread but i am also having a problem.To elaborate i bout a used mugen mbx6 eco and it came with two batteries.(Reedy 5500 mah 60c 14.8v and Thunder power 5300 Mah 65c 14.8v) The car showed up with the Reedy plugged in to the esc in the package. However i ran it for about 5 minutes to see if everything worked brought it in and the voltage is low on the last 4 cells(0 voltage) so i ran in on nihm and it brought it up to 1.5v on the last 4 cells however balance charging hasnt fixed it. It will charge and say its done but the last 4 cells still show low volts. I hooked up the thunder power battery and it also showed the last 4 cells as low after a good run(15 min). Assuming i ran the battery to low i tried the same..and it acted the same so i feel i am doing something wrong. What amp/ setting should i run these batteries at? I was told to charge them at 10 amp and i just assumed to do it at the 4s setting however reading this forum makes me ask if i am wrong. Also note that when i was trying to bring the voltage up i tried to charge it at 6 amps not 10 amps Any help would be appreciated (i am new to the lipo/brushless set ups so i read up and thought i had a grasp but am finding out otherwise)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cmeans_23
Not to jump his thread but i am also having a problem.To elaborate i bout a used mugen mbx6 eco and it came with two batteries.(Reedy 5500 mah 60c 14.8v and Thunder power 5300 Mah 65c 14.8v) The car showed up with the Reedy plugged in to the esc in the package. However i ran it for about 5 minutes to see if everything worked brought it in and the voltage is low on the last 4 cells(0 voltage) so i ran in on nihm and it brought it up to 1.5v on the last 4 cells however balance charging hasnt fixed it. It will charge and say its done but the last 4 cells still show low volts. I hooked up the thunder power battery and it also showed the last 4 cells as low after a good run(15 min). Assuming i ran the battery to low i tried the same..and it acted the same so i feel i am doing something wrong. What amp/ setting should i run these batteries at? I was told to charge them at 10 amp and i just assumed to do it at the 4s setting however reading this forum makes me ask if i am wrong. Also note that when i was trying to bring the voltage up i tried to charge it at 6 amps not 10 amps Any help would be appreciated (i am new to the lipo/brushless set ups so i read up and thought i had a grasp but am finding out otherwise)

A conservative charge is 1c. That would be a 5.5 and 5.3 amp charge respectively.

To bring a pack back from the depths you should go down to 0.5a charge and slowly let your charger bring it back on a nimh charge.

Let it get higher than you did to get your low close to 3a. Don't let the others get too high. Check it every once in a while.

If the cells are truly that low, their done.
Maybe its your connection giving youba false reading though. Worth a shot to to do what Cain did and just resolder the bird cages or even replace with a whole new charge lead new bird cage & all.
Or as I did and used bullets in place of the cages... of course I had to solder those on so who knows... maybe like Cain I just needed to resolder it and give it a good joint.
Those are mass produced so wouldn't be surprising if the joint is not as good as I would have done it.

Didn't bring it back? You got a great buggy without batteries.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Wait...

You say the last 4 cells of a 14.8v pack... 4 cell.

Are you charging a 4 cell on a 22.2v six cell profile?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cmeans_23
You mention “last 4 cells” a couple times? What about the first 4 cells, as those are only 4 cell batteries, any readings beyond 4 cells should be 0. What charger or cell checking device are you using?

It wasn’t a great idea to ship with the battery plugged in to put it mildly. Always disconnect a lipo when not running, as the ESC can slowly run it down too low even turned off. But you also shouldn’t have run it before charging or at least checking the battery. Charging as a 4S is correct.

Strongly recommend that you confirm the Low Voltage Cutoff is enabled on the ESC.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

+1 on knowing what charger are you using exactly. The whole last 4 cells comment is confusing as it should be showing up on your charger as 4S total.

As others have mentioned, charge at 1C till you find out what the issue is. Yes, you can charge at a higher rate if the packs are rated for that, but, in general you will get more life out of your lipos at 1C.

Please post what charger you are using, what profile you are charging at, and if possible, a video of what exactly it is you are seeing and / or pics of what the charger is showing you.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06
Wait...

You say the last 4 cells of a 14.8v pack... 4 cell.

Are you charging a 4 cell on a 22.2v six cell profile?

This quote applies to the three above me...I typed in the last 4 cells cuase that was what i was reading...Soon after i posted this i was thinking about it and then i started to wonder why its even showing voltage on cell 5 and 6 due to the fact that its a 4 cell battery. So i thought to myself something had to be hooked up wrong especially for both batteries to act the same. Realizing all this i started to think i had something hooked up wrong but couldent figure it out at the moment. The next thing that i noticed (after setting up my esc with the settings i wanted and setting the cut off all the way up to 3.4 as it was at 3.2) was that after a 15 minute run earlier that day it never once cut out. So i unplugged it all and went through plugged it in to find out my balance board was plugged in backwards. So as you all laugh at my rookie mistake i sigh in relief knowing now that my batteries are fine. Thanks for all the feedback though.

And for those that ask i am using a imax b6 ultimate charger witch now seems to be working just fine with the batteries.

Thanks again for the feedback and hope my mistake helps someone else in the long run lol.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Good to hear you got it sorted out.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Champion

+1 Always cool to get some feedback when trying to help out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.