R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Lipo Low Voltage (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/704399-lipo-low-voltage.html)

Jimmy O 02-12-2013 04:10 PM

Lipo Low Voltage

Dumb question time!

So I connected my Gensace 2S Lipo to my Venom Pro Charger Plus and attempted to charge it. Next thing I know, the following message pops up on the screen...

"Battery check... low voltage"

Does this mean my lipo is screwed? It would be a shame since I haven't had it all that long. Also, if someone could explain to me how I can figure out how low the voltage actually is, that'd be appreciated. I'm thinking surely my charger has the functionality (I am aware of how to check it when it is charging), I just haven't found it yet!

Please refer to the following thread for more info on my struggle. I have purchased a new charger, but with little progress made.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...w-voltage.html

Thanks

theblitzkidd 02-12-2013 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy O (Post 11807512)
Dumb question time!

So I connected my Gensace 2S Lipo to my Venom Pro Charger Plus and attempted to charge it. Next thing I know, the following message pops up on the screen...

"Battery check... low voltage"

Does this mean my lipo is screwed? It would be a shame since I haven't had it all that long. Also, if someone could explain to me how I can figure out how low the voltage actually is, that'd be appreciated. I'm thinking surely my charger has the functionality (I am aware of how to check it when it is charging), I just haven't found it yet!

Please refer to the following thread for more info on my struggle. I have purchased a new charger, but with little progress made

http://www.rctech.net/forum/australi...w-voltage.html

Thanks

Well it sounds to me like the lipo is just in to low ofna volt to charge....happens if u run it down to low.....what u can try is put ur charger on nimh setting and charge the lipo for a few mins justbto git some power in it....then balance it up one u git the volts up, this is not a guarantee fix, but it will work if it was just ran to low, I did this with a venom lipo 5000mah 20c.....good luck man:)

Jimmy O 02-12-2013 04:42 PM

Thanks mate

I did what you said, but once I commenced the charge, the voltage quickly escalates from 3.88V to over 14V very quickly, before giving me the message "BATTERY VOL ERR CELL CONNECT".

So frustrated with this have I become, that I have bought another charger (an IMAX B6). When I try to lipo charge Nimh charge or NiCd charge my batteries with this charger, I get the message "CONNECTION BREAK".

I am at my whits end with this, and it would appear that my venom pro charger plus may have destroyed at least 4 of my lipos. If anyone has any further advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

theblitzkidd 02-12-2013 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy O (Post 11807639)
Thanks mate

I did what you said, but once I commenced the charge, the voltage quickly escalates from 3.88V to over 14V very quickly, before giving me the message "BATTERY VOL ERR CELL CONNECT".

So frustrated with this have I become, that I have bought another charger (an IMAX B6). When I try to lipo charge Nimh charge or NiCd charge my batteries with this charger, I get the message "CONNECTION BREAK".

I am at my whits end with this, and it would appear that my venom pro charger plus may have destroyed at least 4 of my lipos. If anyone has any
further advice, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have a venom pro plus and I charge all mine just fine...have for the past
year....u need to make sure that u have the charger set for the right volt
and cell amount that the lipo is...like if it's a 5000mah 20c the charger
should be set on 7.4 2s. If it's set to a 3 or 4 s it will not charge right

Jimmy O 02-12-2013 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd (Post 11807699)
I have a venom pro plus and I charge all mine just fine...have for the past
year....u need to make sure that u have the charger set for the right volt
and cell amount that the lipo is...like if it's a 5000mah 20c the charger
should be set on 7.4 2s. If it's set to a 3 or 4 s it will not charge right

I have charged countless packs before without the number of cells being an issue - I believe the charger will actually give a specific message indicating that the cell count is wrong.

If someone has any suggestions on getting the voltage up other than the methods described above I would be grateful, also any opinions on the likelihood of my venom pro plus charger being the cause of my problems, as if these lipos are unsalvagable I obviously don't want to lose anymore! Thanks

theblitzkidd 02-12-2013 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy O (Post 11808402)
I have charged countless packs before without the number of cells being an issue - I believe the charger will actually give a specific message indicating that the cell count is wrong.

If someone has any suggestions on getting the voltage up other than the methods described above I would be grateful, also any opinions on the likelihood of my venom pro plus charger being the cause of my problems, as if these lipos are unsalvagable I obviously don't want to lose anymore! Thanks

Well I hope u do find out what is wrong...the best of luck man!!

jwmustang 02-12-2013 07:30 PM

How long were those batteries sitting around not being used?

Jimmy O 02-12-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by jwmustang (Post 11808427)
How long were those batteries sitting around not being used?

About 2 months. Surely that wouldn't have lead to 4 lipos being unchargable though? Had no issues before that.

bboytab 02-12-2013 07:44 PM

low volt

I ran my lipo too low the other day, when i started charging, the charger would stop saying voltage too low, i was able to overcome it by lowering the charge rate, i went down to 2 amps istead of the 6 to 8 amps that i normally charge them...these are the gens ace saddle pack 6000mah

try charging using the lowest amps possible..it might work

BmainStar 02-12-2013 07:55 PM

Have to ask?? Are You unplugging the batts when not using??

Jimmy O 02-12-2013 07:55 PM

Thanks. Another bloke suggested the same - I tried to charge at 0.1 Amps, didn't work. Spent a couple of hours trying different things last night with no success. Will do the same tonight.

coconut 02-12-2013 07:56 PM

I have a Trakpower 2s Lipo 5600mah that gave me the same problem last weekend. I had ran it real real low. I left it plug into my ESC for at least a week. When I went to charge it the charger said low voltage and it wouldn't charge the battery. I was mad because I had the battery for less than two months. So, I just put it to the side thinking I lost it. But a few hours later I tried it again and the charger charged it. It was real low. My charger put back into the battery 5500mah.

Jimmy O 02-12-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by coconut (Post 11808547)
I have a Trakpower 2s Lipo 5600mah that gave me the same problem last weekend. I had ran it real real low. I left it plug into my ESC for at least a week. When I went to charge it the charger said low voltage and it wouldn't charge the battery. I was mad because I had the battery for less than two months. So, I just put it to the side thinking I lost it. But a few hours later I tried it again and the charger charged it. It was real low. My charger put back into the battery 5500mah.

Thanks coconut. I have left lipos plugged in in the past, not thinking anything of it. I don't recall having done it on this occasion, but perhaps it is the problem. Personally I still think it is the charger, so I will tread carefully when using the venom charger from now on (if I do in fact use it again). Unfortunately I tried to charge the battery packs about a month ago without them co-operating, and it was only last night that I attempted to do so again having purchased a new charger. So not looking good.

fq06 02-12-2013 08:26 PM

Have you tried brand new charge plugs? I'm assuming you have inboard plugs on your lipo that you plug bullet connectors into.

I had a charge lead with bird cage plugs on for a long service life and it did the same thing.

Soldered on real bullet connectors to the charge leads and fixed

Cpt.America 02-12-2013 10:22 PM

If you left your pack plugged into the ESC (Even turned off) for months... it is a dead pack.