Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I would recommend inspecting all the driveshafts. The joints can get worn over time, there are tiny pins in the joints that tend to wear down. I know have replaced a few pins since I purchased my SCTE 2.0. Also my driveshafts developed a groove where the pin in inserted so you will want to check for that as well.

I would also inspect the outdrives since they get wobbly over time and can cause the diffs to leak. The center diff seems most prone to it since the angle of the driveshaft I guess. If you upgrade anything I would recommend the king headz center diff mounts with the dual bearings.

Hope that helps a little! The SCTE 2.0 is an awesome truck and in my opinion very durable so I think you will really like it.

Originally Posted by towertsk
Since i've been out of the game for a minute (more like 25 years). I have a lot to learn, but for starters what things should i inspect on my used truck? Thanks guys!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Also check to make sure the arms aren't bound up. Take the shocks and wheels off. The arms should flop up and down freely.

It's always a good idea to go thru the whole truck when buying used. Check all bearings, diff fluids, shocks, everything. It only takes one little thing to throw the handling off.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A2Racing
I would recommend inspecting all the driveshafts. The joints can get worn over time, there are tiny pins in the joints that tend to wear down. I know have replaced a few pins since I purchased my SCTE 2.0. Also my driveshafts developed a groove where the pin in inserted so you will want to check for that as well.

I would also inspect the outdrives since they get wobbly over time and can cause the diffs to leak. The center diff seems most prone to it since the angle of the driveshaft I guess. If you upgrade anything I would recommend the king headz center diff mounts with the dual bearings.

Hope that helps a little! The SCTE 2.0 is an awesome truck and in my opinion very durable so I think you will really like it.
What's the preferred way of checking the outdrives? Put it on a stand and spin it up, inspecting for wobble?

I'll look into the upgraded center diff counts. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcgod
Also check to make sure the arms aren't bound up. Take the shocks and wheels off. The arms should flop up and down freely.

It's always a good idea to go thru the whole truck when buying used. Check all bearings, diff fluids, shocks, everything. It only takes one little thing to throw the handling off.
Thanks for the tip, i'll check the arms for free movement. I'm not too worried about handling versus catastrophic failures. But i'll make sure to go over all the bolts,screws, and nuts.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Whitey_Wangster
Rumor has it that the new truck is going to be called the
TLR SCTE 2.0 hacker07 Farewell Edition. That's what I heard anyway.
LOL, not exactly. But it is true, This will be my last project out on the surface vehicle side of things. I still have a few option parts to release but that is all she wrote. I am not going away though and still race an work in the office with the group. Just time to turn my attention to the Spektrum surface department and make some kick butt radios.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ryan - is your OCRC setup from 9/14 the latest and greatest and better than the one from 7/1/13? That one was really good amd hard to beat.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

All I can say is thank you Ryan and TLR for designing one heck of a 4x4 short course truck that will be hard to replace in the future....
Old 01-07-2015, 07:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the MIP Shock towers from their upgrade kit on the 2.0? Picked up a 1.0 with the MIP kit as spares and to take the upgraded bearings, Alloy centre mounts, front hubs etc from and toying with changing the towers over too.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by A2Racing

Checked the center diff out drives and to my surprise it was equipped with
  • KH front diff mount
  • KH rear motor/diff mount

but there seems to be more slop in the front versus the rear. Are the double bearings known to go out over time? The dog bone seems looser than the rear as well. Maybe time to replace the bearings and go with the pucks?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tony Vega
Ryan - is your OCRC setup from 9/14 the latest and greatest and better than the one from 7/1/13? That one was really good amd hard to beat.
Yeah, that is the latest setup and it is easier to drive faster in my opinion. It is worth a try I think.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Whitey_Wangster
All I can say is thank you Ryan and TLR for designing one heck of a 4x4 short course truck that will be hard to replace in the future....
Thanks, that means a lot to me. I did try to make a product that would work easily for the consumer and was a ton of fun. That was the goal at least, haha.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

is there a list of updated parts and an approx. release date so people don't replace something if not needed till the updated stuff is released?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Braxamus
is there a list of updated parts and an approx. release date so people don't replace something if not needed till the updated stuff is released?
There isnt a list today. The only parts that will look different to the end user are the TiCN shock shafts and hinge pins as they are that bluish color and not gold any longer. The reality is, we have gone over every part. Again, nothing is wrong with the current parts, we just wanted to see if we could make them better.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default out drive wobble

What causes the out drives to wobble? After inspecting my used scte the fronts and rears wobble horribly but the center seems fine. Is it the shims or poor assembly of the previous owner? How many packs would you expect to get from a new diff?
Old 01-13-2015, 05:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

When are the scte 2.0 going to be back in stock? Just can't seem to find them anywhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.