Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

double.. delete
Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I think owners of the original SCTE can upgrade their chassis and gain most of the handling improvements the 2.0 offers. I have most of the upgrades to include the new diff cases and a chassis upgrade makes sense to me. The small problems seem to have been addressed. However, I don't see any info about the sloppy camber links. I know they have harder aluminum balls, but a truck that can take punishment and put down the power needs steel camber link balls that last. This is a great truck and TLR is going to keep it at the top with this release.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vhuang168
When I read the first explanation, I wrote it off as someone trying to make sense of a design but the second post made me sit up and take notice. That was when I saw that it was made by a TLR employee which made the 1st explanation a valid company statement.

I'm sorry, but I am shocked that TLR will design a part to intentionally BIND! Esp a part like a drive shaft!

If I'm reading it correctly, the drive shaft was designed to be crooked over like that so that it will bind and create a little drag. So when the drive shaft gets worn down and doesn't bind as much, we have to go buy a new drive shaft so that the truck will drive as it was designed? Really!?!

If a little drag on the front/center drive shaft was the idea, wouldn't putting in bearings reduce the effect? Or maybe the drive shaft should have been designed to be straight but put in a split brass sleeve with a screw on top so you can adjust the drag on the drive shaft. I would have bought into that idea instead of a severly crooked binding drive shaft.

I love my SCTE with TLR tuning kit/MIP/KH/etc upgrades. But there is nothing in the 2.0 kit that would make me sell what I'm driving and buy it. Only thing I might upgrade are the shock towers. Is there any overwhelming reason for me to switch taking into consideration what I already have?

Vincent
Disc brake pads on cars are designed to wear, we have to replace them all the time? Some items, in some cases if it makes the design and desired outcome and if they do what is intended are a good thing, no? I'm pretty sure brake pads that don't wear are not as effective in most applications. All vehicles have wear parts.. swapping this shaft out once a year for a typical driver or twice a year for a heavy driver,, 20bucks? really? hmm.

I think the 2.0 is a nice move forward with improvements. Get it or don't, that is why freedom rocks right? Maybe some parts will drop on the current, maybe some are not needed. Some chassis such as the tim bump already have included the lower cog (no diff and chassis plate/filler) and also included the weight shift for a very long time :P The diff move is not impressive to me, but if it works for the new layout it works, smile and be happy
Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
Disc brake pads on cars are designed to wear, we have to replace them all the time? Some items, in some cases if it makes the design and desired outcome and if they do what is intended are a good thing, no? I'm pretty sure brake pads that don't wear are not as effective in most applications. All vehicles have wear parts.. swapping this shaft out once a year for a typical driver or twice a year for a heavy driver,, 20bucks? really? hmm.
Yes, disk brakes are designed to wear out. But as they wear, you just dial in more throw to compensate until they are too thin to work well. Even then, they are not part of the drive train that is supposed to drive the vehicle forward. A worn drive shaft is more prone to breakage. DNF due to a design that intentionally weakens your drive train?

A BINDING drive shaft robs you of power and torque. Its like driving around with your brakes dragging ALL THE TIME!

Its not about cost, its more about the fact that a part that in every other setup I've seen should have been designed to be drag free is intentionally designed to induce drag. I've seen other setups where drag is indeed designed to be induced but it is not in such a way as to cause wear on a critical component. Eg would be Kyosho's optional diff for the VoneR. But it had a delrin sleeve that you tighten with a set screw to adjust how active the diff is. There is minimal wear on the drive shaft since its the delrin sleeve that wears and you can tighten it further if it wears down.

I buy the "its a carry over from the nitro truck" reason more than its a purposeful design statement.

Vincent
Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think the point he was trying to make, is the original comment is, well, an attempt to baffle in bull%% to dance around the question of why the driveline isn't straight

If one wanted to increase power delivery to the rear wheels under acceleration, you just up the center diff fluid. There is never a reason to have a center drive system bind. EVER.

I'm sure most of us with the current truck have had the front center coupler wobble out and bind even more than it does stock, and it's an obvious detriment to performance when that starts to happen, and is immediately recognizable. To claim that it's an engineered into the truck on purpose, is an insult to their engineers. It's obviously a cost saving measure as to not have to retool the rear case and ring gear to run conventionally, as is the fact that the center diff is plopped down precisely with the front and rear driveshafts swapped around so they can use the same parts. It may work, and maybe the engineers were instructed to do it like that, but it's far from ingenuitive. In fact, it's probably the very first thing any eyeball engineer would do in their garage to start the same project with.

The most saddening part of the truck, is it still apparently, uses the same soft stub axles. Those wear and start to bind up the suspension and driveline just as fast as the front coupler. The first truck was always in a state of flux in regards to how much bind the drivetrain had, and how that would effect the handling that day. 3 race weekends and they are trashed.

Last edited by ilanstylz; 01-30-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kuya_Kimo
Looks good! Great job guys, the price does look real good for the value of the parts included.

Btw, Tekno owners know that they paid $399 and have a ton of plastic in their trucks..the chassis will need to upgraded, the shock towers will eventually bend, servo horn is toast in one run, and plastic hinge pin holders will need to be replaced. Then the body and wheels.......

Also, I typically know the track where the promo videos are shot, but not for the SCTE 2.0. I'm so curious.. what track was the promo video shot at?
Really? You think that shock towers and a chassis made from 7075 aluminum is going to need to be replaced? Btw, most people got their kits from around $340-350, myself included. Get your facts straight.
Originally Posted by Ridley
I think Losi really missed the boat not going to 16mm shocks on the 2.0
+1 the 8ight shocks on my friend's scte feel amazing.

Still the scte 2.0 is the truck losi should have had 2 years ago. Would have much rather bought this last year, than the 1.0 roller.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I will buy the towers, every other upgrade is already done to my mip truck. When I need a new chassis I may buy this one and the needed hardware..
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

ryan and crew:

kit looks good. IMO, pretty much what people were asking for. good job guys.

my only issue is the whole secrecy thing. back in october/november had i gotten some kind of confirmation from a losi source that a 2.0 was due out in march/april, i might have waited on pulling the trigger on the tekno. i understand the need to keep those things close to the vest and not put out announcements and then have to delay them, but there has to be a better middle ground where you're not giving too much away, yet confirming that a new model is in the works.

with that, i'm really happy with the tekno kit. i'm sure the 2.0 will be very nice as well.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ridley
I think the point he was trying to make, is the original comment is, well, an attempt to baffle in bullshit to dance around the question of why the driveline isn't straight

If one wanted to increase power delivery to the rear wheels under acceleration, you just up the center diff fluid. There is never a reason to have a center drive system bind. EVER.

I'm sure most of us with the current truck have had the front center coupler wobble out and bind even more than it does stock, and it's an obvious detriment to performance when that starts to happen, and is immediately recognizable. To claim that it's an engineered into the truck on purpose, is an insult to their engineers. It's obviously a cost saving measure as to not have to retool the rear case and ring gear to run conventionally, as is the fact that the center diff is plopped down precisely with the front and rear driveshafts swapped around so they can use the same parts. It may work, and maybe the engineers were instructed to do it like that, but it's far from ingenuitive. In fact, it's probably the very first thing any eyeball engineer would do in their garage to start the same project with.

The most saddening part of the truck, is it still apparently, uses the same soft stub axles. Those wear and start to bind up the suspension and driveline just as fast as the front coupler. The first truck was always in a state of flux in regards to how much bind the drivetrain had, and how that would effect the handling that day. 3 race weekends and they are trashed.
there is no bind in the shaft, there is some resistance which maybe wanted as he explained to assist with power delivery. This design is how many years old now? and won how many races and championships? good lord guys.... really? I'm not defending that description he gave but when using single large packs having a offset drive line is actually not a bad thing. If you have dual packs or saddles then yes keep a center line approach, and balance your packs.. but if you plan for a single pack config it makes perfect sence to keep a optimal balance. These pins have warn for years, and if you have a pair of EYES in your head they will NEVER CAUSE a DNF! LOL thats just funny stuff.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21

Still the scte 2.0 is the truck losi should have had 2 years ago. Would have much rather bought this last year, than the 1.0 roller.
Really?? Duh..
Ever hear of evolution?Does not happen overnight.When this truck came out most were racing the Slash 4x4 or the Jammin 4x4, the SCTE as far as driving on a race track was bounds beyond what those trucks offered .Its been an ongoing work in progress and I feel they have it right.Some of you so called experts need to take Your million dollar bank accounts and go build and offer to sell, something better!!!

Last edited by BmainStar; 01-30-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
. i understand the need to keep those things close to the vest and not put out announcements and then have to delay them, but there has to be a better middle ground where you're not giving too much away, yet confirming that a new model is in the works.
Good thing about living in So cal is Losi does most of their product Demo's at either, Revelations, Pegasus hobbies, or Milestone RC ( RIP) I've know about the 2.0 for awhile "So Cal Inside RC Scoop"

I personally like this 2.0, but My SCTE is so dialed, I have no reason for the 2.0 kit.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BmainStar
Really?? Duh..
Ever hear of evolution?Does not happen overnight.When this truck came out most were racing the Slash 4x4 or the Jammin 4x4, the SCTE as far as driving on a race track was bounds beyond what those trucks offered .Its been an ongoing work in progress and I feel they have it right.Some of you so called experts need to take Your million dollar bank accounts and go build and offer to sell, something better!!!
TLR hit the nail on the head with this one. I just don't understand why it took 3 years. Nevertheless, those years have produced a great looking truck. They hit just about every item on the 1.0 scte owner's list.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

there is no bind in the shaft, there is some resistance which maybe wanted as he explained to assist with power delivery. This design is how many years old now? and won how many races and championships? good lord guys.... really? I'm not defending that description he gave but when using single large packs having a offset drive line is actually not a bad thing. If you have dual packs or saddles then yes keep a center line approach, and balance your packs.. but if you plan for a single pack config it makes perfect sence to keep a optimal balance. These pins have warn for years, and if you have a pair of EYES in your head they will NEVER CAUSE a DNF! LOL thats just funny stuff.
Bind, resistance, whatever.....it's not a good thing to have in the driveline, and the explanation was a complete fabrication.

The tekno, for example, seems to be able to overcome the enormous engineering feat of having stick packs and a straight driveline

Those pins should never cause DNF's? LMAO. I've seen dozens as they rocket through the plastic without warning. The truck won championships...yipppeeeee. Nobody said the first one sucked, just unfortunate to see Losi leave proven shortcomings with the new truck. You sure are in full blown Fanboy mode tonight 8ight-e!!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

the body will come clear, correct? I assume so since its a kit PLUS it says "things needed to complete" and polycarbonite paint was 1 of them
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CGR
I brought up the same points earlier, I was told the shocks are fine, so they must be perfect with no room for improvement.
all that I keep getting from people is mine is ok dont know what your talking about..... I say drive your kit a little harder & no brakes they'll findout soon enough I guess. Who am I just that guy I guess! I made my 2.0 myself

Last edited by Kakenballs; 02-06-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.