Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

Tekno SCT410 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dont Hack Me
I ran last night. I found that increasing my rear diff to 5k was the way to go. 7/7/5 and it locked down my a$$. I was running Blairs DNC setup. I still had a ton of steering and could whip it around on those 180's. I was just really surprised how going from 2 or 3 in the rear up too 5 made such a huge difference. I have been struggling to get the rear end more locked down. I took TQ and the win. The guy in second was running a sct410. So me pulling away from him like we did on this poor Losi 2.0 wasn't gonna happen.
Been struggling with getting the rear locked down--tried going from 3 in the rear up to 5---made a vast improvement!! Now I'm tempted to try to go to 7 and see what happens.
I'm at 10/7/5 on a medium bite track right now with super soft wishbone 2's.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Otto.951
Is some one here usin emulsion shocks with this truck?
I tried emulsion--didn't like it at all. Used to run emulsion on my scte and it worked great but not here--I think the weight of the truck has something to do with it.
I'm running vented bladders with foam compensators from Losi 1/8 scale and the shocks are working great!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bcholka
I tried emulsion--didn't like it at all. Used to run emulsion on my scte and it worked great but not here--I think the weight of the truck has something to do with it.
I'm running vented bladders with foam compensators from Losi 1/8 scale and the shocks are working great!
Ok I'll try vented and see how it works thanks
How much rebound?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Ok I'll try vented and see how it works thanks
How much rebound?
Here's the current setup I'm using--am pretty happy with it right now:

Serpent webbed bladders
Losi foam compensators part#LOSA5431
Tekno 1.3 x 8 pistons all around
35w/front 30/rear
Pink front/green rear springs
About 1/3 rebound all around
2 orings at all 4 corners (instead of the recommended 4)
Ride height 26f/26r

Note: I decided to go vented setup because it has worked very well for me with my Mugen MBX6-ECO. Over on the ECO forum most of the regulars seem to like going with the vented/foam compensator setup. So far it's money for me on the a tekno too!!
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Serpent webbed bladders
35w/front 30/rear
Ride height 26f/26r

Note: I decided to go vented setup because it has worked very well for me with my Mugen MBX6-ECO. Over on the ECO forum most of the regulars seem to like going with the vented/foam compensator setup. So far it's money for me on the a tekno too!!
Thanks a lot for this great info.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
lol. How have things been going for you timamybrown?

Tires are definitley the first thing to start with, but, based on what you are saying as far as your setup goes, can only do some much.

+1 one here on the rear link height on the tower. With it as high as you have it, I can see you having issues.

What are you using as a setup guide virgil? I like to use a combination of the hudy guide and the Mark Pavadis info that can be found online. Give it a print and go. A lot of info people are advising you is basically the same thing.

Me personally, I think start with the linkage settings first. If you make any changes at all, personally I would stick with 2K in the rear first before going with diff oil changes. 2K in the rear really helped get the rear end to bite more.

Strange, with the Pro4 4600 I have been getting temps in the 150s max. gearing wise, it was interesting that when timamybrown and I ran together, he with his HW 4000, I was going with gearing basically the same as him with my 4600kv.
Cain,

From the way the truck acted yesterday I think 2K is too light. I think that one wheel or the other would randomly get traction and the diff would dump all the power to that side and cause the truck to hook. It didn't happen every time I accelerated, but enough to make the truck a pain to drive.

The day wasn't a total loss though. I think I've found a good combination of springs,oil wt , and pistons to make the truck jump well and handle the rough track. I tried the pink front green rear springs that a number of people have said worked well for them. I dropped my oil weights to 25fr, 22.5r The truck jumjped very well, but slapped the chassis hard landing the bigger jumps. The hobby shop didn't have any Kyosho pistons, but they did have some AE 16mm pistons that were 1.3x6. I bored these out to 1.5x6 and ended up with the same hole surface area as the kyosho 1.3x8. They worked great. There was no sign of the nose down attitude and the pistons had enough pack that it landed nicely with minimal chassis slap.

With the lighter springs and oils the truck also handeled the rough sections much better. Now if I can just get the rear end under control I might actually learn to drive this thing!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Serpent webbed bladders
35w/front 30/rear
Ride height 26f/26r

?? You can't be using foam compensators if you're using the Serpent webbed bladders. There's no where to put the foam in above the bladders, cuz the webbing fills the top side of the bladder. Unless you're stuffing a piece in the vent of the cap on top to act as an air filter for the vent?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by virgilj
Cain,

From the way the truck acted yesterday I think 2K is too light. I think that one wheel or the other would randomly get traction and the diff would dump all the power to that side and cause the truck to hook. It didn't happen every time I accelerated, but enough to make the truck a pain to drive.

The day wasn't a total loss though. I think I've found a good combination of springs,oil wt , and pistons to make the truck jump well and handle the rough track. I tried the pink front green rear springs that a number of people have said worked well for them. I dropped my oil weights to 25fr, 22.5r The truck jumjped very well, but slapped the chassis hard landing the bigger jumps. The hobby shop didn't have any Kyosho pistons, but they did have some AE 16mm pistons that were 1.3x6. I bored these out to 1.5x6 and ended up with the same hole surface area as the kyosho 1.3x8. They worked great. There was no sign of the nose down attitude and the pistons had enough pack that it landed nicely with minimal chassis slap.

With the lighter springs and oils the truck also handeled the rough sections much better. Now if I can just get the rear end under control I might actually learn to drive this thing!
Virgil - One more thing to try (as if you haven't gotten enough suggestions already...) is to run the least amount of antisquat you can in the rear, especially if the track you run on is bumpy. A number of folks suggested it, and I found it made a big difference in the way the truck was able to put down power. Worth a try IMO. Like you, I've also tried the lighter rear diff, and I'm not liking it either. My next change is to go thicker in the rear - I'm also going to try 5. Looking for a good AARP-approved setup
Old 05-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
?? You can't be using foam compensators if you're using the Serpent webbed bladders. There's no where to put the foam in above the bladders, cuz the webbing fills the top side of the bladder. Unless you're stuffing a piece in the vent of the cap on top to act as an air filter for the vent?
Losi uses standard bladders with foams and then vents their caps. In this case I figured I'd try the webbed bladders with the foams and the vented setup. There's plenty of room in the cap. So far I've really been happy. You could run the foams with the stock tekno bladders too. I read a few pages back that some people were trying the vented setup and weren't happy with it but I don't think they were using foams. Coming from my Mugen experience we ALWAYS run foam compensators with the vented setup.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Been struggling with getting the rear locked down--tried going from 3 in the rear up to 5---made a vast improvement!! Now I'm tempted to try to go to 7 and see what happens.
I'm at 10/7/5 on a medium bite track right now with super soft wishbone 2's.
Good to hear. I was thinking about going 7 in the rear, but I'm gonna stick with 5 and move some stuff around before i go up. Now i need to figure out some good shocks....Blairs DNC shock setup isnt working out so well. When you used the webbed bladder what change did yo see/feel? I have some, I just haven't used them yet.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

So, now that I've got 2 race days with this truck. All I can say is WOW!! What a difference from my sc10 4x4. I know this has been said over and over but it is really a night and day difference. Besides the handling and ease of maintenance , it's just a fun truck to drive.

I had read about people having the nose diving issue, which I didn't see the first day but experienced today. I feel like it was only on specific jumps and not all the time. Was there a way to fix this or does it depend on case to case?

I also knew of the rear end being loose but also didn't really have the problem. Should I remove the center and rear braces anyways or just leave them? I also didnt move the rear hubs up, worth a shot?

What are the more common changes made in set-ups lately?

Thanks in advance for any opinions or help
Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Is some one here usin emulsion shocks with this truck?
I ran emulsion until recently. With emulsion shocks, you get a much "deader"shock. I usually like this if the track has smaller jumps. I use springs for chassis support, and shocks for dampening. I don't like making the shock act like a spring too. Too many variables.
That being said, a bladder setup acts a little like a variable rate spring that comes on near the end of the stroke. Good for larger, outdoor jumps. I am now running vented bladder. There really is no need to support the bladder with foam. The Tekno bladders are stout. Just bleed the shocks correctly to prevent too much hydraulic pack. If you use foam, you will have a lot of rebound. This can exaggerate the spring effect. When setup with the right springs, this truck works very well, don't substitute shock rebound for the proper spring rate.
I am currently running green Tekno springs all around, with stock pistons, and 35f, 30r AE oils.
Good luck, and have fun!
Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I ran emulsion until recently. With emulsion shocks, you get a much "deader"shock. I usually like this if the track has smaller jumps. I use springs for chassis support, and shocks for dampening. I don't like making the shock act like a spring too. Too many variables.
That being said, a bladder setup acts a little like a variable rate spring that comes on near the end of the stroke. Good for larger, outdoor jumps. I am now running vented bladder. There really is no need to support the bladder with foam. The Tekno bladders are stout. Just bleed the shocks correctly to prevent too much hydraulic pack. If you use foam, you will have a lot of rebound. This can exaggerate the spring effect. When setup with the right springs, this truck works very well, don't substitute shock rebound for the proper spring rate.
I am currently running green Tekno springs all around, with stock pistons, and 35f, 30r AE oils.
Good luck, and have fun!
This is quote worthy. I couldn't bind words together to explain that any better. Nicely put and I really like my Emulsion personally.

Mike, What is your thoughts: Emulsion vs vented bladder? What's really going on different?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom2tone
So, now that I've got 2 race days with this truck. All I can say is WOW!! What a difference from my sc10 4x4. I know this has been said over and over but it is really a night and day difference. Besides the handling and ease of maintenance , it's just a fun truck to drive.

I had read about people having the nose diving issue, which I didn't see the first day but experienced today. I feel like it was only on specific jumps and not all the time. Was there a way to fix this or does it depend on case to case?

I also knew of the rear end being loose but also didn't really have the problem. Should I remove the center and rear braces anyways or just leave them? I also didnt move the rear hubs up, worth a shot?

What are the more common changes made in set-ups lately?

Thanks in advance for any opinions or help
Try just removing the rear brace at first. If you still feel loose try the center as well. I run mine with only the rear removed.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Ran Blair setup again yesterday. Made a couple changes pink fronts 37.5 green rears 30 stock pistons. Because my 1.3x8 won't get here until tomorrow. Stock front kick up with center brace removed on a hard packed track with a sugar sand topping truck had all kinds of rear grip. Running soft calibers should have been on gridiron's ended up taking 2nd. The track has a counting system that tells your average speed during practice I was running an average of 31mph by the main the traction went away and I could only maintain an average speed of 26mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.