Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I called RCAmerica and they said 2 specific things about the next car. 1) It'll be a few months and 2) there will not be substantial changes.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I called RCAmerica and they said 2 specific things about the next car. 1) It'll be a few months and 2) there will not be substantial changes.
So does that mean that mean that if one buys a '16 they won't feel shafted on not waiting for the '17? As in the minor changes to the new car won't be that much $$ to get the '16 up to spec? On other brands, when changes happen, it could cost someone up to $100 or more to get there last yr model car up to spec. A few months wait is worth that kind of coin savings. If it's considerably less then no big deal.

Also after looking on 5 different websites, the '16 is out of stock. Maybe waiting for the '17 is the only option.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

RC American told me the same thing - they said it may come with a few option parts that the team runs but it most likely will be little to no changes of the actual design. I doubt buying the 16 car will be any mistake at all.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxingout
So does that mean that mean that if one buys a '16 they won't feel shafted on not waiting for the '17? As in the minor changes to the new car won't be that much $$ to get the '16 up to spec? On other brands, when changes happen, it could cost someone up to $100 or more to get there last yr model car up to spec. A few months wait is worth that kind of coin savings. If it's considerably less then no big deal.

Also after looking on 5 different websites, the '16 is out of stock. Maybe waiting for the '17 is the only option.
This could be the case with Xray too, but doesn't sound like it is happening with the XB4.

Most likely, in this particular case, it's an "incremental" release. This is a term I use... it means that if you bought a 2016 and purchased option parts since its release, you will essentially have a 2017 model. There may be a few extra things that have yet to be released as options prior to the 2017 release, but they will be made available as separate parts like everything else.

Xray did this a couple times with the T4 in recent memory.

This is as opposed to when they start making substantial changes to geometry of the arms, of the chassis and body, etc. It doesn't look like that is happening this time.

With that in mind, you may want to wait until the 2017 if you plan to buy NIB... however, if you can find a used XB4 w/ many of the options on it, then you could save some cash this route even if you need to make some purchases to catch up later.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes I was planning on buying new. I guess I can wait a little longer.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I was told the 17 car is being released this coming week
Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey
Anyone interested in an original xb4 13? I was thinking of bringing it back out, but I thought Id see if anyone is still running it. I don't have saddle packs anymore, but I have an insane amount of parts and wheels.....
Old 11-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Couple issues over the racing weekend with my 16. I'm running Martins setup with no down stop shims, I had a front axle pop out of the outdrive. So with no down stops would this be most likely the cause? I dont see many setups with no shims there so I think I may put 2mm back in.

Also on the ECS driveshafts, I had issues with both rear coming apart. I need a new coupling pin and see they have indents in them. Are they available seperate? Also are these more prone to problems with so many more moving parts? I may swap out the rears with the stockers and leave the ECS in the front. I'd like to hear some feedback on them.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoyt1967
Couple issues over the racing weekend with my 16. I'm running Martins setup with no down stop shims, I had a front axle pop out of the outdrive. So with no down stops would this be most likely the cause? I dont see many setups with no shims there so I think I may put 2mm back in.

Also on the ECS driveshafts, I had issues with both rear coming apart. I need a new coupling pin and see they have indents in them. Are they available seperate? Also are these more prone to problems with so many more moving parts? I may swap out the rears with the stockers and leave the ECS in the front. I'd like to hear some feedback on them.
proper building is key:

1. loctite set screws
2. let loctite dry before applying any grease
3. shrink wrap entire outer barrel just over the edges
4. check and maintain frequently
Old 11-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lyons238
proper building is key:

1. loctite set screws
2. let loctite dry before applying any grease
3. shrink wrap entire outer barrel just over the edges
4. check and maintain frequently
So Lyons, do you use them? I dont see many setup sheets showing the pro's use them, fronts at times but rarely the rear.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hoyt1967

upward travel could cause them to pop out as well.. are you using ECS shafts up front? if so.. did you order the correct length.. another thing to think of.. flex in the arms could cause it as well.. landing on a jump.. at full compression.. and flex in the arm could cause them to popout..

ECS shafts in the rear.. i never really cared for that.. too much maintenence for ECS in the rear.. i would use stock shafts in the rear..
Old 11-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112
upward travel could cause them to pop out as well.. are you using ECS shafts up front? if so.. did you order the correct length.. another thing to think of.. flex in the arms could cause it as well.. landing on a jump.. at full compression.. and flex in the arm could cause them to popout..

ECS shafts in the rear.. i never really cared for that.. too much maintenence for ECS in the rear.. i would use stock shafts in the rear..
Yes on the ECS in the front. They are the correct shaft 81mm. It only happened once, just curious if there was anything I should look at to prevent it.

Agree the rear ECS are coming off, I think I will keep the fronts. I did not assemble them originally so I will take the steps Lyons suggested when building them. So use heat shrink on the outer barrel on the front shafts too?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-14-2016, 11:56 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
I could tell you more, but I'm not allowed.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boz
I could tell you more, but I'm not allowed.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Has anyone had the centre brace that goes around the spur crack on them from a crash? I was surprised mine cracked but then it makes sense having done some spectacular crashes... Possibly also because when I screwed it down it was slightly out of alignment and maybe added extra stress

On a different note for those running on low to medium clay... I tried 500k in the middle. I was highly skeptical but it seemed alright or maybe even better than 100k. Running 7/5 but I feel the rear is a tad loose in some areas so will try 7/7

Also running rear blockades and front square armours as I don't have any bar tyres

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.