Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ECS Driveshaft reviews

Has anybody tried the ECS driveshafts? Anybody have feedback on stock vs. ECS?

I know in theory what they do, but I wanted to see if someone has tried them and has feedback. I am tempted to try them and report back, but they are a little pricey. I am mostly considering them for the front so any info is welcome.

Also, I think some out there have tried Spec r driveshafts. Are these ecs style?(they look like it, but I'm not sure)

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freeski

I know in theory what they do, but I wanted to see if someone has tried them and has feedback. I am tempted to try them and report back, but they are a little pricey. I am mostly considering them for the front so any info is welcome.

Also, I think some out there have tried Spec r driveshafts. Are these ecs style?(they look like it, but I'm not sure)

Thanks.
The Spec R Fronts are basically the same as the new XRAY 81mm ECS fronts. The reduce chatter, vibration while turning, especially at higher speeds. Less chatter, less vibration, makes for a smoother vehicle all around.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Egress
Why won´t they fit at all? Is the hexx too depp to be reached no matter which Offset hex you use?

Have you got a part number for proline wheels front and rear you mentioned?

Thanks mate!
Gticlay is correct. The SRX4 kits front rims won't work, Serpent has new front EOS axles with 12mm hexes that will allow one to use basically any 12mm hexed front Rim.

Try ZX6- fronts. Actually if running +.75 front 12mm hexes and +1.50 rear 12mm hexes you basically can most other 12mm hex buggy rims. Track width will vary from with different rims.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fivepointnine
My 14 is a tank, I have taken some massive wrecks with that thing that would have snapped multiple parts on my old Schumacher K1A. Only issue I had was a CV pin pushed through the retaining cup on the front, causing me to have 2wd for a couple laps, easily fixed though.

I am hoping the '16 will be just as strong!
The 16 is stone cold tough. Diff cases are stronger, the damn buggy is so light and nimble but it's tough as nails and can hold a line when bumping another buggy. Get the aluminum CVD collars and make sure your Joints are properly maintained and lubed.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

Guys, has anyone ever tried to mount 12mm Serpent wheels of the current SRX4 4WD buggy in the XB '16? Would it fit and what offset wheel hexs would you need to have the stock offset? The reason i ask that i've been looking at these wheels because they have not only the rear but also the front wheel hex hidden. I like that.
I guess the front ones need an offset but would like to hear that from someone who tried it..
If you want the wheel nuts hidden, use Durango DEX410 wheels, those are 14mm, so no need for different hexes.

The off set is pretty much the same as XRAY's wheels, as they were used when the XB4 was developed, the XRAY fronts are a touch different now.

All you need do, is open up the hole in the rear wheel a tiny bit, to clear the axle.

Plus they come in yellow
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Tech Master

Thanks.
Originally Posted by Norse
The Spec R Fronts are basically the same as the new XRAY 81mm ECS fronts. The reduce chatter, vibration while turning, especially at higher speeds. Less chatter, less vibration, makes for a smoother vehicle all around.
Yes they are of a similar design but the Xray ones are fully rebuildable and of a stronger design.

This means that when they eventually start to wear you can replace specific parts instead of the entire shaft.

We use the ECS shafts both on the XB4 and the XB2 and Malin really likes the smooth feel.

It's very noticeable on high grip surfaces going through corners on throttle

Bent
Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Is it worth it to get the new buggy or buying a used kit with parts and spares and hop ups for half the price I'm torn I'm an average club level driver not a pro by any means but if the new car is way better then I'll do it but with a new car coming out almost every year kind of makes me think last years car will be just fine thoughts??? I
Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by John Myall
If you want the wheel nuts hidden, use Durango DEX410 wheels, those are 14mm, so no need for different hexes.

The off set is pretty much the same as XRAY's wheels, as they were used when the XB4 was developed, the XRAY fronts are a touch different now.

All you need do, is open up the hole in the rear wheel a tiny bit, to clear the axle.

Plus they come in yellow
Thanks for that! That was actually my thought, getting yellow wheels but with hidden Wheel nuts. Only i don't like the Durango yellow and wheel design.
I prefer the kind of yellow-green that Kyosho and Asso have...
Maybe b44.3 fronts could fit? Are they 12mm hex?
But again they have no hidden hex.... Oh well!
Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

hello again!

On a low traction carpet track i run on my xb4 a 6.5T with 400 and 450 shock oil and 5000back and 3000 front silicone.
My setup as far as toe out and camber is more than decent but im not sure if using other silicone setup on difs would help me more.
Any advice?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ECS Driveshaft

Originally Posted by BentKa
Yes they are of a similar design but the Xray ones are fully rebuildable and of a stronger design.

This means that when they eventually start to wear you can replace specific parts instead of the entire shaft.

We use the ECS shafts both on the XB4 and the XB2 and Malin really likes the smooth feel.

It's very noticeable on high grip surfaces going through corners on throttle

Bent
Thanks Norse for the response. And thank you to Bent for your continued overwhelming support in this and other xray forums.

I decided to pull the trigger and order the xray fronts #365200. Initially the price seemed high, but when you think about buying a standard dogbone/axle/barrel/and pins, the cost is actually the same if you buy the ECS version. I, like several others, felt the price of the ecs was high, but when you break down each part, it's the same cost as we are accustomed to paying. Nobody said xray stuff was cheap.

What did push me over the edge for ordering was a youtube video I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7S95NcOxug
Maybe this will help others, but I will get my shipment early next week and will report back from a civilian/non pro point of view.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Qwerty

Last edited by onekiwi; 02-10-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for that! That was actually my thought, getting yellow wheels but with hidden Wheel nuts. Only i don't like the Durango yellow and wheel design.
I prefer the kind of yellow-green that Kyosho and Asso have...
Maybe b44.3 fronts could fit? Are they 12mm hex?
But again they have no hidden hex.... Oh well!

you can use ZX6 fronts on Xray 12mm hexes. I have +.75 XRAY 12mm front hexes and mainly use ZX6 front rims.

And JM is correct with durango 14mm rims working fine with a little reaming needed for the axles to fit. I did this with tons of Durango wheels I bought for my 15XB4..
Old 02-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Norse for the response. And thank you to Bent for your continued overwhelming support in this and other xray forums.

I decided to pull the trigger and order the xray fronts #365200. Initially the price seemed high, but when you think about buying a standard dogbone/axle/barrel/and pins, the cost is actually the same if you buy the ECS version. I, like several others, felt the price of the ecs was high, but when you break down each part, it's the same cost as we are accustomed to paying. Nobody said xray stuff was cheap.

What did push me over the edge for ordering was a youtube video I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7S95NcOxug
Maybe this will help others, but I will get my shipment early next week and will report back from a civilian/non pro point of view.
No problemo my friend. I also agree with Bentka as the XRAY ECS fronts being stronger than the SPEC R's. Being rebuildable is a huge plus as well.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

The Video Freeski posted pretty much sums up the difference between conventional shafts vs the ECS.

Nice Find Freeski! thanks for posting.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

you can use ZX6 fronts on Xray 12mm hexes. I have +.75 XRAY 12mm front hexes and mainly use ZX6 front rims.

And JM is correct with durango 14mm rims working fine with a little reaming needed for the axles to fit. I did this with tons of Durango wheels I bought for my 15XB4..
Many thanks Norse!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.