Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I don't know how you guys are breaking this car. I've owned mine for over a year and the only thing I've done is rounded the crown and input gear in the front diff once. That was because I was stuck on a tube and ran out of patience waiting for a marshal and just pinned it wide open out of frustration . The car still drove fine, it just chattered while braking.

I think you all need to have owned a B44.x to appreciate the XB4's durability. If you stare at a B44 front arm the wrong way, it breaks. Those POS ball diffs (pick any 4wd car with ball diffs) only last a month of racing under normal conditions before they are roached.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yodah
I find the photos and the posts kinda funny actually….. who did the most damage by hitting i-beams and un-movable objects. Car is tough, no question. Only break i had was a front diff case from jumping about 6ft in the air and landing on the front shock tower.
That's why I post my carnage... Because I am amazed I broke something..LOL (but then again I have hit some serious objects)

The car is Tough 100%!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Once I was practicing after making big changes on my DEX410 and after dialing it in better than I had ever to that point, I set out to run some flyer laps to try and match and then try to beat the fastest lap times set by the top guys and after 5 or 6 really fast laps I was in the groove and then found even more speed. With my car being one of the fastest down the main straight I came off the last turn superbly and was on the throttle and hit top speed in 2-3 seconds and was coming into the braking section before turn 1 when some tool just pulled his SCT right out of the pits and got sideways and stopped and I had nowhere to go. Mind you, this is just 15-20 feet before the enclosing wall on our huge outdoor track, and as soon as I touched his car at full speed my car went airborne and was headed right for a turn marshal's throat and he luckily got out of the way just in time but my car smacked the wall so hard everyone was certain i'd need a new kit!!!

I took it off the track and pulled off the lid to inspect it thoroughly but to my surprise, NOTHING was broken!!! All it did was bend the left rear Lunsford turnbuckle slightly but I did inspect every single suspension arm and mount thoroughly and not a single fracture or damage of any sort anywhere!!!

The following day I was doing really well in the A-main after being caught in a pileup on the 2nd turn after someone hit me from the rear and the turn marshals got to my car last and I was more than half a lap down. I battled my way back into 2nd with about a minute left and was about to take first when I swerved to avoid a lapped car and got on the throttle a bit too early and let off to avoid smacking the large PVC pipe and just barely grazed the edge of the joint and… SNAP!!!!

My right front arm broke. I finished 4th. LOL

After inspecting it, the nut itself caught the pipe's edge just right and at the time having the crappy stock Hinge Pins with the grub screws, the hinge pin snapped and the arm took the brunt of the impact and it snapped. Goes to show that sometimes a severe wreck might not cause any damage and a slight tap on something at just the right time and angle will cause massive damage.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mullet1
anyone heard when these will come out? I keep chewing inputs and ring gears.

3 out the 5 '14 cars locally have had diff problems, all rears including mine. The two that haven't are the newest 2 of the bunch and are not out every weekend.

Track is tough on wheelers tho...had 5 different brands, 7 cars total start our last A main, 2 finished, the only 2 Xrays lol...sometimes it's just not your night.

I've killed a front arm/inner hinge pin. My fault.

Spur. Debatable, motor definitely moved.

2 rear arms. 1 broke @ the webbing, 1 broke right at the shock bolt. Neither were particularly hard hits but was cold.

1 rear axle. Let a Team Driver for Schumacher drive the buggy, whoops!

1 rear crown and pinion, probably my fault, came down on power on the just the rears on some goofy inverted hole/jump deal.

Other than that I'm seeing imo excessive wear on my front diff drive cups/pins...I am running a Pro2 in the thing but still.

Would not trade or go back to my Durango, thing was made of glass comparatively and it's fun trying to guess how many pieces the local B44.2's turn into on a nightly basis.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Canadianrage
3 out the 5 '14 cars locally have had diff problems, all rears including mine. The two that haven't are the newest 2 of the bunch and are not out every weekend.

Track is tough on wheelers tho...had 5 different brands, 7 cars total start our last A main, 2 finished, the only 2 Xrays lol...sometimes it's just not your night.

I've killed a front arm/inner hinge pin. My fault.

Spur. Debatable, motor definitely moved.

2 rear arms. 1 broke @ the webbing, 1 broke right at the shock bolt. Neither were particularly hard hits but was cold.

1 rear axle. Let a Team Driver for Schumacher drive the buggy, whoops!

1 rear crown and pinion, probably my fault, came down on power on the just the rears on some goofy inverted hole/jump deal.

Other than that I'm seeing imo excessive wear on my front diff drive cups/pins...I am running a Pro2 in the thing but still.

Would not trade or go back to my Durango, thing was made of glass comparatively and it's fun trying to guess how many pieces the local B44.2's turn into on a nightly basis.
Concerning the gear diffs you're having problems with, how is your slipper set?
Old 06-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Like many of you I roasted a set of diff gears. With a loose slipper and a 10.5. That was when the car first came out. I replaced the bad set with NT1 metal gears and shimmed the other still working original diff gears. No problems since. Shimming as needed is highly recommended. Keep in mind that different versions of the gears and the housings have different dimensions so depending on exactly the pieces you are using you may not need any shimming or you may need more. Never had any other drivetrain issues fwiw. Simple matter of proper mechanics. This was my first gear diff race car. If I had more experience I would have shimmed them from the start.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I have the 2014 XB4 and have been running it since the beginning of the year with a LRP WorksTeam and a Ready 7.0 and have had no problems with my diffs. I have my slipper set at 6.3mm which is the loose side of the recommended setting in the manual addendum from Xray. The track I run on is mid traction so that with a looser slipper is probably why I haven't experienced any diff issues.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by EricW
Concerning the gear diffs you're having problems with, how is your slipper set?
Was set per manual...since backed it off some. Bevel gears in both diffs and front crown and pinion gears are perfect. Pinion screw was tight.

Don't get me wrong love the car, I've driven/owned every wheeler of the current gen short of the new HPI, and completely sold on the XB4...
Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Pic of my new Baby everything soldered up and running like a wild child man I love this lil beast
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-image.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

anyone try the 6 deg hubs?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Selling Hudy pin removal tool. Unopened, unused $70.00 shipped US only.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

How many guys are running shorty packs in this car? I'm a little reluctant to buy saddle packs because they're a hassle and I've always wanted to try a shorty in my 2wd buggy(s). I'm torn between the xray and a b44 with b5 arms/ballstuds and a schelle chassis with the shorty conversion.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Saddles are only a pain if you think they are. Even still, if you absolutely don't want to buy saddles, there's always the new brick type battery that's just like any stand alone cell only it has the same footprint as saddles?

As for shorties and how to fit them, do a google search for XB4 Shorty.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
As for shorties and how to fit them, do a google search for XB4 Shorty.
oh my, I'm not doing that. Saddles are just fine for me too.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ec Skunkworks
How many guys are running shorty packs in this car? I'm a little reluctant to buy saddle packs because they're a hassle and I've always wanted to try a shorty in my 2wd buggy(s). I'm torn between the xray and a b44 with b5 arms/ballstuds and a schelle chassis with the shorty conversion.
I have no issues running the saddle packs (SMC) in my XB4 and wouldn't want to even try a shorty setup in it. I don't think they are any more of a hassle than any other sized pack. This car was designed to run saddles and they fit/function very well in it IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.