Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Default New 2014 Spec Xray XB4

Posted on Facebook by Xray Racing Cars:

The new 2014 specs of the European Championship winning XRAY XB4 coming very soon. Watch out!
https://www.facebook.com/TeamXray

Bent
Old 10-09-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

how soon is very soon...hummm

I'm wondering what did Xray do to improve an already very good car, let's hope the price won't change!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

This passed weekend was regionals and it was my first race with the car. once i figured a good setup on it the car was really good. i was able to qualify 7th out of about 39 buggies and i finished 6th after the triple a mains. Seth also got his into the a and so did a fellow racer which was his first weekend with the car as well. i dont remember where they finished overall though.

for the ones looking for a 12mm hex fix. i ran all weekend with the conversion i found but i did find a flaw. if you over tighten the wheel you will bind the bearings. after each run i would actually loosen the hex and reposition them so that when i would tighten the wheel again they wouldnt bind the bearing. the problem is that the pin sits too deep in the losi hex. good news is that Jason from JConcepts was there and i told him what was going on and gave him the product idea. He ended up taking my buggy with him and a set of the stock hexes to try to get a conversion for it. hopefully hell be able to get one.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JaderL
This passed weekend was regionals and it was my first race with the car. once i figured a good setup on it the car was really good. i was able to qualify 7th out of about 39 buggies and i finished 6th after the triple a mains. Seth also got his into the a and so did a fellow racer which was his first weekend with the car as well. i dont remember where they finished overall though.

for the ones looking for a 12mm hex fix. i ran all weekend with the conversion i found but i did find a flaw. if you over tighten the wheel you will bind the bearings. after each run i would actually loosen the hex and reposition them so that when i would tighten the wheel again they wouldnt bind the bearing. the problem is that the pin sits too deep in the losi hex. good news is that Jason from JConcepts was there and i told him what was going on and gave him the product idea. He ended up taking my buggy with him and a set of the stock hexes to try to get a conversion for it. hopefully hell be able to get one.
I finished 7th and Seth 8th . Not bad for our first race with the car.

I was doing the same thing you stated with the TLR hexes, and using thread lock as extra security. Hopefully Jason will be able to bring a proper conversion to market. Would be sweet if we could use b44 fronts as well.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I bought my car used and it came with 1 off machined hexes front and rear. I was running b44 fronts and b4/losi rears. I didn't care for the front hex's. The rims were very loose on the axle and serrated nuts was a must! Plus since they were one off's I couldn't change my hub offsets.

I really like the Xray rims. Very solid and tough (pipe clipping and no scratches).
Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Oh my gosh! So many new 4wds I'm like a kid at a candy store. I'll be getting xb4 14 and d413.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by latentspeed
Oh my gosh! So many new 4wds I'm like a kid at a candy store. I'll be getting xb4 14 and d413.
Any chance you need a 410v3 with fresh clay tires as well?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeymdz
I bought my car used and it came with 1 off machined hexes front and rear. I was running b44 fronts and b4/losi rears. I didn't care for the front hex's. The rims were very loose on the axle and serrated nuts was a must! Plus since they were one off's I couldn't change my hub offsets.

I really like the Xray rims. Very solid and tough (pipe clipping and no scratches).
I'll take those adapters off your hands if you don't want them
Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Any chance you need a 410v3 with fresh clay tires as well?
No thanks. I'll pass. Had a 410 v2. Great car but was too mannered for my style. Loved the responsive steering. I was supposed to have gotten xb4 when it came out, but it had issues and I really wanted to try xray so I ended up with t4. I've been waiting for this update! In fact I might not be getting d413 anymore. Nothing steers like an xray and not boring easy like kyosho or yokomo.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If they adapt the 3 diff setup nd shorty packs like the d413 I will make this my 4wd
Old 10-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pulse_
how soon is very soon...hummm

I'm wondering what did Xray do to improve an already very good car, let's hope the price won't change!
Just 1 request-go away from the "composite" diff ring/pinion gears--bad bad idea-lots of failures from people-everyone "out of stock" with the pinion gear--yikes!!!!
I know I know-shim properly, loosen slipper, lower boost settings etc etc etc--bottom line they just weren't a good idea IMO
Old 10-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bcholka
Just 1 request-go away from the "composite" diff ring/pinion gears--bad bad idea-lots of failures from people-everyone "out of stock" with the pinion gear--yikes!!!!
I know I know-shim properly, loosen slipper, lower boost settings etc etc etc--bottom line they just weren't a good idea IMO
All you need to do is learn to set the slipper according to grip level and surface

We've been running 5.5T and 6.5T boosted on high grip astro with Schumacher Mini Spike and Mini Pin this summer with no problems at all

The XB4 has a very easy to adjust slipper as well as high quality slipper pads that don't fade......shouldn't be hard to adjust correctly at all

Takes 1-2 min max when you get to a new track or the grip level has changed.

Bent
Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I love the composite gears. When you switch to metal gears you also increase heat inside the diff. When I ran Durango I hated the metal gears for that very reason. You had to run thicker oil and hope it thin out enough. Set everything right and you'll have no problems.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Defending a product without question that clearly is not perfect and never admitting that POSSIBLY it could use a little help. In psychology thats called denial.

Different people will have different experiences. Expecting everyone in the world to have exactly the same experience as you is totally unrealistic. Thats why WE have a conversation to share and learn.

I've never said you HAD to shim. Merely that it is an option if you feel it is neccessary.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asc6000
I'm old enough to disregard the mfgs' recommendations. For better or worse I grew up in my dads machine shop so I learned about tolerances at a young age. I allow for heat expansion but if I think there is too much slop... I'll shim. Yes the new bevel is thicker, the NT1 metal gears are thicker as well. So if you used the new bevel and metal gears it will be MUCH tighter than the old bevel and composite gears.
Seems like there is room for questions about shimming and it's need based upon each persons situation.
Originally Posted by asc6000
Defending a product without question that clearly is not perfect and never admitting that POSSIBLY it could use a little help. In psychology thats called denial.

Different people will have different experiences. Expecting everyone in the world to have exactly the same experience as you is totally unrealistic. Thats why WE have a conversation to share and learn.

I've never said you HAD to shim. Merely that it is an option if you feel it is neccessary.
You're the one stating the NT1 gears are thicker.....and if I used them it would be much tighter......which is incorrect.

You're the one disregarding Xray's recommendations and give the impression to know more about the tolerances and "heat expansion" of the gears then said manufacturer.

Yet.....you're the one stating the gears (or product) are not "perfect" when I'm the one (who follows the directions) NOT having any problems or shimming issues after building 3 of these and racing them every other week since January........see my point ?

That's the beauty of the Xray's......they're not a product made cheaply in the far east......thus the tolerances are very tight

Same discussion in the XB9E thread........the ones following instructions have no problems......while the ones with years and years of "hands on forum experience" and "the knowledge the R/C manufacturers would pay big bucks to get a hold of" are the ones having issues.......hmmmmm

And yes I would expect everyone to have the same experience with the exact same product following the exact same manual and manufacturer recommendations

Bent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.