Wiki Posts
Search

hobbywing v3 vs orion r10

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeraz22
are these as smooth as everyone claims? Also are they smoother than the tekins i have a rs and rs pro and want something smoother i have the 223 software in my tekins and for off road they just dont seem that smooth to me it is either on or off power
Hideeho
The Tekin smoothness (as with any other ESC) is dependant on the ESC settings. I used to run an EAMotorsports 13.5t duo1 (GREAT motor by the way). When I 1st put it in, It was smooth as a babies bottom. As I got better I added more & more boost. I ended up with the advance @ 80 & the boost @ 45 (iirc). I played around with the start & end rpm ranges to no end, but I could not get it to smooth out. I even tried really odball stuff like starting rpms as low as possible & setting the max beyond what the motor can do, starting late with short ramp (great in 4wd, not so good in 2wd)starting early w/ a short rpm ramp (not a good idea but more managable than late), running more advance than boost, running more boost than advance. Basically the problem is at really high boost it looses smoothness & becomes time to go to a lower turn motor. With boost levels I was running, my 13.5t was easily keeping up with a blinky 7.5t down the front straight, it was just harder to drive coming off the corners. When I would back off the advance & boost a little It got back to being smooth & very drivable & the 7.5t would blow me off on the straights. I put in an lrp 8.5t w/ 4dot pill in & went to blinky & it is back to smooth as a babies bottom! I have played around with adding boost to the 8.5t. It is still smooth (I never got anywhere near the extremes I did w/ the 13.5t) but had WAY to power for me. With the 4 dot/blinky combo I'm pulling a lead on the 7.5t if I get a good entry to the straight. By the way, the guy w/ the 7.5t is using an Orion R10, draw your own conclusions.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Hobbywing V3 Combo

looking at buying three new esc and i am trying to decide between the r10 pro orion or the hobbywing v3. I know hobbywing makes them both so i am just wondering who has experience with both esc and which one they like better and why. Thanks in advance for your input
Get Hobbwying V3, it won't compare. There is a special going on at Hobbywing of North America. V3 + Any brushless motor at $238 shipped. Can't beat this.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Would recommend going through www.falconsekido.com for your HobbyWing purchase. They are the only licensed US distributor and have an AWESOME warranty program. If im not mistaken I believe it is a 90 day warranty and not the kind where once you mount it it's voided. I've ran the 150a for a while matched with a 1900 tekin and can truly say it's a very smooth setup. The programming box is a must have (not required) and a lot more reasonably priced than Orions system. $21 -vs- $65. I've heard of issues with Orion's return policy but can't speak from first hand experience. Both seem to be quite equal when it comes to performance.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trickedout
why not include the Speed Passion Reventon Pro?? Also made by hobbywing. always great software, and with the bluetooth/wifi adjustability thats pretty awesome! and Cheaper than BOTH!
I dont believe the Rev Pro is made by HW. I think SP made their own this time. I own two of these Rev Pros and absoulutly love them and I'm coming from Tekin Rs Pro's.

Cant beat the SP price too. $129 for a 140amp esc and comes with lcd programmer.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Bought the hw v3 put it in my 22 sct this thing is awesome I was a lap faster than I was with my rs pro amazingly smooth and tons of power and amazing brakes highly recommended just ordered two more
Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Bought the hw v3 put it in my 22 sct this thing is awesome I was a lap faster than I was with my rs pro amazingly smooth and tons of power and amazing brakes highly recommended just ordered two more
sorry man, but if you went a lap faster with the hw, then you didnt have the tekin setup right or had old software. The hw is good, but the tekin with 223 software feels awesome as well... i have run them both (both escs set to my liking) and my speed doesnt change much if any between the two. Both escs are great.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Initiate

not sure if someone said this already, but the new reventons are not made by hobbywing like the old grand turismos etc. They are speed passion's own design and they are manufacturing them using a new contractor to their specs. They are absolutely amazing and half the cost of the r10 and the v3.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone know why Jorn Neumann are still using the old Speed Passion esc and not the new pro ?
That makes me think ..
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

And the Hobbywing V3.1 just came out.
Supposed to have better cooling, better seals++
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

Why not put viper Rc in the mix
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have bolth and bolth are very good but I would give the orion the slight advantage.. Why.. for one the orion has better brakes smoother or more lineir and stronger weather or not that has to do with the caps or not don't know.. also the orion is a 160amp vs the HW is a 120amp I do run a R10pro on a 4pole 4600 in a STCE wouldn't try it with a HW.. Oh yeah my local hobby shop stocks R10pro for 199.99$$ Have not found the HW for less that 209.99$$.. Horizon is actually good with customer service on these and motors Its Lipos that is almost impossible for them to warrenty..
Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

Rc-mushroom has the R10 at $165 and the Xerun V3.1 at $180.
My opinion is that you cant go wrong with any of the latest sensored esc`s.
Size, price and support might be the deciding factor here
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I'm running a HW SCT Pro esc currently which is a lot cheaper than the V3 or Orion.
What's the difference between my cheaper esc and those ?
Would there be any noticeable difference besides the few extra tuning options in the program box ? (Or are the few extra tuning options really worth 40% a price difference and if so, why ?)
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I have had the R10 pro and its great.

I got the V3.1 and its even better.

Its a smaller footprint, looks better (case it full aluminium in black), it has no switch to mount (as its onboard the esc) and the software is amazing.

You can turn the car off by holding full brake for 7 seconds. awesome feature at the end of a race.

And the software is fantastic. You can adjust both punch and brake and have different profiles come in at 50% of throttle etc...

Its a step ahead of the R10 pro
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben73
I have had the R10 pro and its great.

I got the V3.1 and its even better.

Its a smaller footprint, looks better (case it full aluminium in black), it has no switch to mount (as its onboard the esc) and the software is amazing.

You can turn the car off by holding full brake for 7 seconds. awesome feature at the end of a race.

And the software is fantastic. You can adjust both punch and brake and have different profiles come in at 50% of throttle etc...

Its a step ahead of the R10 pro
That sounds cool having diff profiles deepening on throttle position like a long straight and a infield of tech sections this would be handy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.