Wiki Posts
Search

hobbywing v3 vs orion r10

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridgeracer
Anyone know why Jorn Neumann are still using the old Speed Passion esc and not the new pro ?
That makes me think ..
Yeah, fitment for his sedan. They answered this in the SP thread. Guess the new Reventon pro's square shape didnt fit in his sedan. He needed the long rectangle type esc. Simple as that.

The REv Pros are awesome. Super smooth. Lots of power and easy to use/program. I've had problems with them at the start but they are just to good for me to switch to another esc. The price is cheap too.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

This guy pretty much nailed it. I love the no switch part & the cap isn't in a huge plastic case so it's easier to find space for it. And if your into boost/timing there is a ton of extra features there the Orion doesn't have. And as far as feeling I can't tell the difference between the two on the track.

And I heard Orion's is more like a V2.5 and rated higher than it actually is (like 90C batts)

Originally Posted by ben73
I have had the R10 pro and its great.

I got the V3.1 and its even better.

Its a smaller footprint, looks better (case it full aluminium in black), it has no switch to mount (as its onboard the esc) and the software is amazing.

You can turn the car off by holding full brake for 7 seconds. awesome feature at the end of a race.

And the software is fantastic. You can adjust both punch and brake and have different profiles come in at 50% of throttle etc...

Its a step ahead of the R10 pro
Old 02-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPKinsella
I have bolth and bolth are very good but I would give the orion the slight advantage.. Why.. for one the orion has better brakes smoother or more lineir and stronger weather or not that has to do with the caps or not don't know.. also the orion is a 160amp vs the HW is a 120amp I do run a R10pro on a 4pole 4600 in a STCE wouldn't try it with a HW.. Oh yeah my local hobby shop stocks R10pro for 199.99$$ Have not found the HW for less that 209.99$$.. Horizon is actually good with customer service on these and motors Its Lipos that is almost impossible for them to warrenty..
I've got 2.5 race seasons on a hw v3, lol SCTE w/ 4 pole xerun 4k. I would try it all day long every day, ohh wait I do PS v3's are only 160ish now. The hw lcd program box gives it a one up and is cheaper for a 2up. Falcon is great w/ customer service, and to be honest you won't have to send it in unless you do something that would toast any esc.

++ to the others.. the v3 button power button is awesome, new v3.1 looks great those are on ebay for 190, not sure if faclons stock is v3 or 3.1
Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vr6cj
Yeah, fitment for his sedan. They answered this in the SP thread. Guess the new Reventon pro's square shape didnt fit in his sedan. He needed the long rectangle type esc. Simple as that.

The REv Pros are awesome. Super smooth. Lots of power and easy to use/program. I've had problems with them at the start but they are just to good for me to switch to another esc. The price is cheap too.
He also went back to the old SP esc in the DEX210
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
I've got 2.5 race seasons on a hw v3, lol SCTE w/ 4 pole xerun 4k. I would try it all day long every day, ohh wait I do PS v3's are only 160ish now. The hw lcd program box gives it a one up and is cheaper for a 2up. Falcon is great w/ customer service, and to be honest you won't have to send it in unless you do something that would toast any esc.

++ to the others.. the v3 button power button is awesome, new v3.1 looks great those are on ebay for 190, not sure if faclons stock is v3 or 3.1
i've got about 12 packs through my heavy pig tekno SCT410 with the V3/4000kv 4 pole combo. after 8 minutes or so of hard running the esc comes off at 100 degrees (motor about 120).
Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 AM
TRG
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Program Box

Originally Posted by ovalracer1m
hard to say, I have run both the R10 and a number of hobbywings and both have performed almost identical on the track as least as far as i could tell/feel. I wouldnt say the orion software is any better. The new V3 has a few nice features the R10 does not. Also, the program box is a 1/3 of the price for the HW vs the re-labeled Orion version.
If the Orion Program box is just a re-labeled HW. Do you know if you can use the HW box to program the Orion esc ??????
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Necroing this thread. Does anyone know if the HW program box and Orion program box can be used with the other brand?

I have one Orion, which I really like, so if I need a new esc, I was thinking HW v3.1. Already have the Orion program box.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Woulvesbaine
Necroing this thread. Does anyone know if the HW program box and Orion program box can be used with the other brand?

I have one Orion, which I really like, so if I need a new esc, I was thinking HW v3.1. Already have the Orion program box.
With the original Orion software for the set up box you could use either but there were issues with it, the software was updated and this also removed the possibility of using the Orion program box on HW or SP ESC's.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Badger5
With the original Orion software for the set up box you could use either but there were issues with it, the software was updated and this also removed the possibility of using the Orion program box on HW or SP ESC's.
Thanks. I have so many different ESCs at this point I'd like to eventually consolidate to all HW. The Tekins are great, so well, realistically, maybe consolidate to two brands. lol.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ovalracer1m
Have you had to deal with getting an orion product warrantied through Horizon? It is terrible. Almost as bad as HW, which luckily i have never had a issue with. You can get a HW with the program box for the same cost you can buy a 160A R10 with there re-branded box. Either way, its close on price and both are great esc's.
That is 100% not true. Horizon has already sent me 1 r10 pro and 1 r8 pro and took 5 days. i Sent in my old and they sent brand new. like any company they mite have been behind but Ill stick by horizon support any day
Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by randy0025
That is 100% not true. Horizon has already sent me 1 r10 pro and 1 r8 pro and took 5 days. i Sent in my old and they sent brand new. like any company they mite have been behind but Ill stick by horizon support any day
I've had no issues dealing with falcon's support; granted I don't have nearly as many issues with my hobbywing stuff as I did with 'other' brands :P

I highly recommend the new v3.1 stock esc too; awesome esc for any 2wd vehicle and even can use in a 4x4 buggy. I'd still opt for the 120a version for 4x4 sct though; those hobbywing xerun 4k motors are just retard awesome, still no better motor iMO.