Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

tire glue or super glue

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My 2 cents on glue or really just any rc racing parts is just to pick any major brand that fits your budget and go for it. Some are definitely better than others but they most all will get the job done.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Bob Smith for me. In a pinch, I've used 3M scotch brand liquid type, which was surprisingly good.
Somehow ZAP ca doesn't work as well for me.
Avoid like the plague no-name, off brand ones as they suck.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I find freshness of the glue more important than brand. An old bottle of AKA sucks just as bad as an old bottle of Zap CA thin, medium, or thick. I prefer to but zap thin in 5e smallest bottle I can find at whatever time I need it, since I never use it up before it’s no longer fresh enough for gluing a 1/8 or “evo” type bead. For regular 1/10 tire beads, I find almost anything is good enough.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I find freshness of the glue more important than brand. An old bottle of AKA sucks just as bad as an old bottle of Zap CA thin, medium, or thick. I prefer to but zap thin in 5e smallest bottle I can find at whatever time I need it, since I never use it up before it’s no longer fresh enough for gluing a 1/8 or “evo” type bead. For regular 1/10 tire beads, I find almost anything is good enough.
Try putting the bottle inside a ziploc (I find the "Snack Bag" size works best). Since I started doing this I have found that the glue lasts a lot longer. Long enough that I now regularly use a whole bottle before it gets thicker than it started out.

The bags deteriorate after a while (measured in months) because even though the bottle inside may be "sealed" glue vapors escape, just as water vapor would get in to deteriorate the glue.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Razathorn
I'm a huge fan of loc-tite professional grade in the big blue bottle (not the control tube). It is pretty runny, but just thick enough to get a 1/10 tire all the way in the bead and locked before it grabs. I also use it for walking a big pool of glue around an 1/8 scale tire 1/3 the way each time. The bottle keeps the glue fresh until the glue runs out and you can get it at any hardware store or walmart. I've tried a lot of different glues and this is by far my favorite. It's towel smoke'n strong and the perfect consistency.

Wayne
What he said! Cheap and excellent
Old 01-29-2019, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Originally Posted by king96bill
They definitly arent the same

I guess super glue would work in a 1/10 car with a slow motor, but I wouldn't dare glue my tires on my 1/8 buggy with super glue. AKA glue FTW.

Though the base ingredients ARE the same, MFG's use additives and different mix ratios to get "better" glue. Go to the grocery store and buy a bag of "chips ahoy" brand cookies, and then a box of "store brand" chips ahoy style cookies... The ingredients are the same, but the chips ahoy brand just tastes better.....

Just like there are some super glues that work better than others, Tire glue will, in general, work better than superglue. That's not to say that superglue wont work great, and 95% of the time it wont matter... Really the care you take gluing the tires is more important than the glue you use (so long as you aren't using 5 year old crap super glue from the dollar store....)

Personally, i have never bought "tire" CA, but I do buy hobby shop brand CA instead of superglue, because when it comes down to it, it cheaper to get a 1/2 ounce bottle of hobby shop brand CA than to buy that much superglue at the store.... I have also used superglue in place of real ca and never had a problem, in fact i love how some types of superglue come in a bottle with a brush, which makes it easier to apply to some things... I( do keep a bottle of that around as well as the store brand CA.

1/16 Mini summit vxl X2, Mini LST2, 1/24 Redcat Sumos. 1/24 ECX torment, Blade 130S heli, Blade Nano CPX heli, Blade MSR heli, Blade MBCX heli, Funcub, Slowstick, UMX AS3Xtra, UMX inductrix, Inductrix 200. DX9, DX4c, DX3c

There is another source with lots of CA selections...wood working stores like Rockler or Woodcraft.