R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   tire glue or super glue (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/664280-tire-glue-super-glue.html)

tyler144 09-23-2012 08:21 AM

tire glue or super glue

i have always used super glue to glue all my tires but should i use tire glue or is their any difference between the super glue and tire glue

hoyt1976 09-23-2012 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by tyler144 (Post 11243480)
i have always used super glue to glue all my tires but should i use tire glue or is their any difference between the super glue and tire glue

Standard super glue is generally too thick to properly bond a rubber tire to a wheel. Most of us prefer either medium or thin CA. Thin CA wicks down in the bead of the wheel nice, and gives you a good strong mechanical bond.

klaymon 09-23-2012 11:59 AM

If you'd like a brand suggestion, I'll never use anything except AKA from here on out. Tried the Pro-Line thin and it was junk.

Razathorn 09-23-2012 12:11 PM

I'm a huge fan of loc-tite professional grade in the big blue bottle (not the control tube). It is pretty runny, but just thick enough to get a 1/10 tire all the way in the bead and locked before it grabs. I also use it for walking a big pool of glue around an 1/8 scale tire 1/3 the way each time. The bottle keeps the glue fresh until the glue runs out and you can get it at any hardware store or walmart. I've tried a lot of different glues and this is by far my favorite. It's towel smoke'n strong and the perfect consistency.

Wayne

Maddog94 09-23-2012 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by klaymon (Post 11244093)
If you'd like a brand suggestion, I'll never use anything except AKA from here on out. Tried the Pro-Line thin and it was junk.

+1 on AKA tire glue. Love it!

itchy b 09-23-2012 01:34 PM

Ive found the sweep or muchmore tyre glue to be the best ive used personally.:)

XXXDad 09-23-2012 01:53 PM

Seacret Glue

Originally Posted by Razathorn (Post 11244142)
I'm a huge fan of loc-tite professional grade in the big blue bottle (not the control tube). It is pretty runny, but just thick enough to get a 1/10 tire all the way in the bead and locked before it grabs. I also use it for walking a big pool of glue around an 1/8 scale tire 1/3 the way each time. The bottle keeps the glue fresh until the glue runs out and you can get it at any hardware store or walmart. I've tried a lot of different glues and this is by far my favorite. It's towel smoke'n strong and the perfect consistency.

Wayne

+1 :nod:

Briguy 09-23-2012 02:54 PM

I have used Loc-Tite and Gorilla Glue super glues with great results . I do normally use AKA glue though . Use whatever works for ya !

M03Racer 09-23-2012 06:32 PM

I used super glue and other glues before and they work ok but are not the best let's face it that's why they make tire glue. With tire glue being cheap now a days, I can't imagine using anything else.

alwayswin 09-23-2012 07:08 PM

its all the same thing just labled differnt, there is a thread on this if search funtion is used.

Razathorn 09-23-2012 07:40 PM

Tire glue and super glue are both just CA glue. Tire glue is just thinner CA glue. You can get "super glue" that is more aggressive (thin and fast) or less aggressive (thick and slow) than tire glue. The only thing special about "tire glue" is that it that it is a specific thickness (see: speed) that the manufacture thinks is ideal for gluing tires. Note that each manufacturer has different opinions on what speed is best too.

You've got to find what works for you.

jsinclair 09-23-2012 07:49 PM

Aka or loctite are the best that I've found, and I've tried a few. I'm guessing the aka and the loctite are the same thing.

DsWright 09-23-2012 07:51 PM

Use a thin CA of any brand and you should be fine. It's more about prepping and glueing properly than X vs. Y brand of glue.

Odin544 09-23-2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by DsWright (Post 11245707)
Use a thin CA of any brand and you should be fine. It's more about prepping and glueing properly than X vs. Y brand of glue.

+1 Its all in the prep. Do a crappy job and I don't care what glue you use, It will be subpar.

Raptorman1269 09-23-2012 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by DsWright (Post 11245707)

+1