Hobbywing vs Tekin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbywing vs Tekin

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

The Hobby Wings used to be junk. But now they're catching up and currently offer a good sensored ESC. The only ones I ve seen fail were the ones wired to a questionable entry level Spektrum Dx2 or DX3s controller and owned by mid-level drivers. So I take those failures with a grain of salt. The early cheap Spektrum radios are the worst thing any ESC has to deal with.

You just got to go with what works for you. And do as much research at your track as you can before buying. If you see a ton of similar setups, there's often a reason for that.

Everyone in my area runs Tekin 1/8th scale motors for example. Only the ESC choices vary.

I'd still like to see an ESC I can chuck at a wall like a baseball that survives. I know the tech is out there.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Cain
You mean like over Reedy and LRP? You feeling well?

yeah ... sort of like those who talk down products they never use ... yeah ...

beats endorsing bad products that blow up ...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
You mean like every brand that has had failures? that won't give you much to endorse!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I understand brand loyalty but I am curious if you have you actually ran both Asian made ESC’s discussed in this thread? I am not cheap and I take great consideration to the equipment that I run but even if the Hobbywing was 200 dollars and the RX8 was 99 shipped, I would still buy the Hobbywing because it has lasted longer for me and many of the people I race with plus the performance was every bit as good. Matter of fact, the Hobbywing runs a little cooler in my application and it may just be my imagination but also seems smoother. I hear hobbywing does not have good support but I have never had to use it..at least yet. Even if it dies this Saturday, it has already lasted longer than the 2 RX8’combined that literally went up in smoke. One of the incidents actually burned a hole in my TP 4s and I also lost 2 bodies, ESC trays. The total cost of ownership has been $99 dollars shipped for the Hobbywing. The RX8’s have been $388 plus shipping back and forth with Tekin and the cost of 2 bodies, 2 ESC trays, 1 Thunder Power 4s totaling $309 plus shipping and cannot keep track of the fans but bringing me to around the $600 dollar range. Just my -2 cents but I wanted to justify why I recommend opinion to go for the Hobbywing over Tekin rather than just simply saying one is better without giving specifics.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by babydaddy
I understand brand loyalty but I am curious if you have you actually ran both Asian made ESC’s discussed in this thread? I am not cheap and I take great consideration to the equipment that I run but even if the Hobbywing was 200 dollars and the RX8 was 99 shipped, I would still buy the Hobbywing because it has lasted longer for me and many of the people I race with plus the performance was every bit as good. Matter of fact, the Hobbywing runs a little cooler in my application and it may just be my imagination but also seems smoother. I hear hobbywing does not have good support but I have never had to use it..at least yet. Even if it dies this Saturday, it has already lasted longer than the 2 RX8’combined that literally went up in smoke. One of the incidents actually burned a hole in my TP 4s and I also lost 2 bodies, ESC trays. The total cost of ownership has been $99 dollars shipped for the Hobbywing. The RX8’s have been $388 plus shipping back and forth with Tekin and the cost of 2 bodies, 2 ESC trays, 1 Thunder Power 4s totaling $309 plus shipping and cannot keep track of the fans but bringing me to around the $600 dollar range. Just my -2 cents but I wanted to justify why I recommend opinion to go for the Hobbywing over Tekin rather than just simply saying one is better without giving specifics.

zzzzzzzzz

Not brand loyal to Tekin , just ask Randy ...

Only feel a cheapo ESc is a bad bet for anyone ...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

zzzzzzzzz

I don’t think its a cheapo.
It simply does not have the over head/middle man or the name cost.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rysuleod
The biggest difference is price point right? You can get away with using the cheap toilet paper but you'll likely end up with a sore ass.
I run Hobbywing and wipe my ass with Sam's Club TP. My car and ass feel just fine week after week.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

if the xerun combo was 400.00 it would be the better one....LOL
Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

zzzzzzzzz

If you dont want a cheapo esc, buy this:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ESC-180A-2-6S
Seriously though, I think the fact that so many people have had good luck with the Hobbywing esc's already shows that they can hold their own. True, so people have had a bad experience with them, but most if not all of those people have not dealt with the warranty set in place by FalconSEKIDO.

It's up to the buyer to decide what they want
Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Would a Lrp Vector X20 brushless 7.5T work with a Hobby Wing Xerun 120A ESC and im running 2S lipos
Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

zzzzzzzzz

For a hobby store clerk I thought you might be able to contribute Intelligently.

Last edited by Jspfeiss; 09-11-2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Used Hobby store clerk and intelligent in same sentence
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JellyBeans999
Would a Lrp Vector X20 brushless 7.5T work with a Hobby Wing Xerun 120A ESC and im running 2S lipos
Yes
Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Legend

[QUOTE=Jspfeiss;11197756]For a hobby store clerk I thought you might be able to contribute Intelligently.[/QUOTE

zzzzzzzzz
Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Would buy Red after reading all this , you always get what you pay for ...
Not allways. My $60 second hand Speed Passion Silver Arrow ESC out lasted my 3 RX8's combined. And now it's in a 1/8th scale newbs car while I wait for 2 more Silver Arrows to arrive.

I'm hanging onto my blown Rx8's incase Tekin comes up with a "Customer Appreciation Trade in Sale" Get a RX NINE for 30% off when you trade in a RX8. Or something like that.

No way I'm paying $100 x 3 for repairs.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Failures

I run Hobbywing speedos . I have seen alot of problems from other users burning up. If you run a high powered servo you should run a bec. I am running a Turnigy high voltage one from Hobbyking and it has worked great. Every time I see someones car brown out on the track I tell them to install a seperate bec and if they do there problems usually go away. I can't comment on which ESC is better as I have only ran Hobbywing in 8th scale racing but If I ran a Tekin I would for sure have a seperate BEC on it. Tekin motors are the best IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.