R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Hobbywing vs Tekin (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/656762-hobbywing-vs-tekin.html)

Ross71 08-24-2012 02:14 PM

Hobbywing vs Tekin

A bit of help please. I've got a Hobbywing 150 amp with a tenshock 1850 motor, I'm looking to keep that as a spare and get another Hobbywing but this time with a tenshock 1900 sensored motor. Now I've also been looking at the Rx8 and 1900 combo. Can anyone give there views on the two systems, ie run time,power reliability. I know run time depends on thumbs and track condition, but in general wold, I've been told that he tekin is better on run time than the hobbywing, so that may swade me .

That's

Ross

rcboy1 08-24-2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ross71 (Post 11132223)
A bit of help please. I've got a Hobbywing 150 amp with a tenshock 1850 motor, I'm looking to keep that as a spare and get another Hobbywing but this time with a tenshock 1900 sensored motor. Now I've also been looking at the Rx8 and 1900 combo. Can anyone give there views on the two systems, ie run time,power reliability. I know run time depends on thumbs and track condition, but in general wold, I've been told that he tekin is better on run time than the hobbywing, so that may swade me .

That's

Ross

What vehicle are you using it in? Judging by your signature, I would assume it's the ECO. Personally, I would go with the Hobbywing 150A esc. In my experience these have been the most reliable/durable esc's i have ever used. Back when I had an e-maxx, I had an 80 amp version of the same esc. I had in it the car for four years, and it took all the abuse. I currently still use that same esc in my racing buggy. The Tekin esc is pretty good, but I have seen too many go up in smoke for me to consider it a reliable option.

Between the two motors you have picked out, the Tekin T8 would be the best . I have nothing against Tenshock, but the Tekin t8 is one of the best 1/8th scale motors on the market right now, and is a known performer. This combo would be the best in my opinion from what you have picked out.

Ross71 08-24-2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by rcboy1 (Post 11132259)
What vehicle are you using it in? Judging by your signature, I would assume it's the ECO. Personally, I would go with the Hobbywing 150A esc. In my experience these have been the most reliable/durable esc's i have ever used. Back when I had an e-maxx, I had an 80 amp version of the same esc. I had in it the car for four years, and it took all the abuse. I currently still use that same esc in my racing buggy. The Tekin esc is pretty good, but I have seen too many go up in smoke for me to consider it a reliable option.

Between the two motors you have picked out, the Tekin T8 would be the best . I have nothing against Tenshock, but the Tekin t8 is one of the best 1/8th scale motors on the market right now, and is a known performer. This combo would be the best in my opinion from what you have picked out.

Sorry, yes it is the Eco it's for.

I've also seen and heard about he tekin's going wrong and thought about he hobbywing/tekin set up, I think that's what I'll be doing :nod:.

Thanks

Ross

Evilgies 08-24-2012 11:05 PM

Ive also seen Tekin escs fail and I myself destroyed a Tekin Motor last year.
Thats why I tried a Tenshock 802 motor (2400kv) in my 1/8 buggy, together with a HW 150a esc.
I never go back, this is the WINNING COMBO, durable and fast!!!

romian14 08-24-2012 11:22 PM

I had my tekin rx8 system in my 8ight for 2 yrs. and I have had no issues whatsoever....
Tekin's products are very reliable and have awesome customer service.
Heard nothing but good things on the rx8

conman70j 08-24-2012 11:33 PM

come on now lol

There is two ways of looking at this.

The first thing is hobby wing is very cheap. In their defense, I do know one guy who has had decent luck with their equipment. He runs hobby wing because he feels he can burn one or two up compared to buying 1 tekin. I own a hobby shop and I have seen twenty times more hobby wing stuff burnt up than Tekin products.

With tekin, when the first RX8s came out, they did have a few problems, but that was years ago. They not only fixed the problem, they stood behind every single one they sold.

Call and email both hobby wing and tekin and ask them the same exact question. I can already tell you the answer, I have many emails from hobby wing that are not even in english. They are impossible to get anyone on the phone, let alone one that speaks english. When you call Tekin, you get someone that speaks english and knows what they're talking about 100%.
You can also ask Randy Pike any question on here (or email) and he will respond very quickly.

In my opinion, the reason Tekin stands behind their product so much is because they don't have as many issues with that. In our hobby shop, we rarely EVER see a problem with a tekin and we NEVER have a problem with them standing behind it. Even the guy at our track that supports hobby wing products has NEVER gotten anything warranteed from them.

You can look at it either way, buy a bunch of hobby wing products and just keep replacing them at your cost because they are not going to warranty them...or you could buy 1 tekin and never have a problem.

Both products have there place in the hobby. I can give the names and contact info of guys who run both, I personally would never run ANYTHING except tekin,

hope this helps
Lee Conley
(309)2196970

Odin544 08-25-2012 12:19 AM

I dont care who makes them, electronics fail. Most of the time it's user error. We ask too much of our motors/esc's with not enough maintenance. Who's there when there is a problem? I've had stuff out of warrantee replaced for free by Tekin. I can go to any big race and get tech support from Tekin. If I call their tech support I actually know who I'm talking to. Tekin has a huge presence in our local RC community. Tekin has a huge presence on RCtech.

You wont see anything in my cars other than Tekin.

stigno 08-25-2012 12:51 AM

I am running both. No issues with my Tekin RX8 + T8. HW (XeRun) work fine for a season or too, then some of them get hot or cut too early.

sirio76 08-25-2012 01:36 AM

Both are relaiable escs, Hobbywing is good and maybe a better investment for the money but if you can afford to buy an rx8, go for it. Feature wise Tekin is superior in everything(sorry, is a fact: stronger 5A bec, much lighter, smaller, 210A continuous, more programmable, smoother throttle control, on-board setup functions, on-board temperature monitor, can run without fan in most situation, fan easier to replace, by far better support).

No Idea!! 08-25-2012 02:04 AM

Yo Ross

I use the tekin 1900 combo runs spot on no probs, in my cobra

And I have used the Sc8Wp version120 amp one on 1900 still,with no problems

Both on 4s and temps were about the same

Nick@Jet 08-25-2012 02:08 AM

I have to agree - I don't own a Hobbywing but no matter what you buy sooner or later it may break. I own 8+ Tekin Motors and 6 Tekin RS Pro and RX8, have sent in for Tekin service and usually is fixed or replaced in a week and have never been charged even though I am ok with paying for some service. Talk about stand behind their product, my emails are typically answered within 24 hours by someone who knows it inside and out, they are all over this site and RCshortcourse and can't imagine how many countless hours Randy Pike and team takes to answer questions. At the track the Tekin drivers are very helpfull...this is starting to sound like a romance. Tekin will get my vote on that alone so they are a little more - VALUE is more important in my book than initial cost - you get what you pay for.

As far as runtime - I can't answer since there are several factors that can affect that as you probably already know - rolling resistance of car, drag brake setting, current limiter, push control, timing etc... maybe hard to compare apples to apples unless all those settings are programmed equal between the two. Good Luck and hope this helps in some way

ozace 08-25-2012 02:22 AM

I see the original poster is based in the UK. As an Aussie i have found much of the hype and bravado of the US based "customers" does not apply to foreign customers. Shipping costs and time in many cases make warranty worthless. Its just something to consider as a non US paying consumer.

kaan 08-25-2012 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by ozace (Post 11133670)
I see the original poster is based in the UK. As an Aussie i have found much of the hype and bravado of the US based "customers" does not apply to foreign customers. Shipping costs and time in many cases make warranty worthless. Its just something to consider as a non US paying consumer.

+1

There is not a single shop in Denmark that have Tekin.
Hobbywing on the other hand is easy to get service on.

It depends on your local area I guess :)

RC10Nick 08-25-2012 05:06 AM

For me, I'd rather have Tekin's better BEC circuit. Your servos will run faster and stronger with the Tekin. Also, Tekins have a better user interface for making adjustments. You get 2 buttons, labels, and a couple flashing LEDS that makes adjusting parameters on the fly super easy. Programming a hobbywing is super annoying with all the different beeps and stuff. The RX8 also has a user replaceable fan. I could not access the fan in the Xerun 150a unit I owned. There's just so many details that make the Tekin a superior product. Plus, I was a Tekin Team driver before I quit racing a few years for college, so I gotta go with my guys :D

I do race with a guy who runs xeruns exclusively in all his cars with Tekin motors. He's never had a single problem with any of them. Plus, he regularly beats me (sometimes I get lucky, though :D) They're cheap, they work pretty well, and it's hard to find anything wrong with them. But, they really aren't as good as a Tekin.

stickys 08-25-2012 05:56 AM

I have many rx8's and t8 motors. By far most motor failure is from simply no maintenance, at least that ive seen. Bearings need checked or replaced every now and then. Simple and cheap. RX8 is very high quality. My quality testament is this. I have in the past bought rc that had castle electronics...very good yes...replaced with tekin shortly after buying. damn those things run great