Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hobbywing vs Tekin

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh and as far as efficiency goes I take my summit on 5-6 hour trail runs with two sets of batteries. 2.5-3hrs running on 2000kv-1900kv-1700kv motors. not bad eh
Old 08-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

With Tekin you pay for the customer support and the warranty. For some that is good, for some that is not worth it. My personal opinion though is the 120 day warranty is not near long enough. For the cost of the ESC it should be 1 year.

I have switched to all HW stuff. I just can't see paying ~$200 for a Tekin RX8 when I can get a Xerun 120 amp or 150 amp for ~$90. The HW stuff has worked well to me and is just as smooth and powerful as the RX8. No problems with blown ESC's. Now I know it will happen at some point but I've seen many RX8 quite, catch on fire, etc also.

On programming, the HW's win hands down with their LCD programming box. So much easier than pulling out a laptop. The Tekins are a bit more adjustable though via the software. Not much, but if I remember right for example you can set things like brake percentage to any number with the Tekins where with the HW's you are set to specific increments.

Anyways, that's my thoughts after running both brands.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

non-warranty replacement of Rx8 cheap and quick.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by rcboy1
What vehicle are you using it in? Judging by your signature, I would assume it's the ECO. Personally, I would go with the Hobbywing 150A esc. In my experience these have been the most reliable/durable esc's i have ever used. Back when I had an e-maxx, I had an 80 amp version of the same esc. I had in it the car for four years, and it took all the abuse. I currently still use that same esc in my racing buggy. The Tekin esc is pretty good, but I have seen too many go up in smoke for me to consider it a reliable option.

Between the two motors you have picked out, the Tekin T8 would be the best . I have nothing against Tenshock, but the Tekin t8 is one of the best 1/8th scale motors on the market right now, and is a known performer. This combo would be the best in my opinion from what you have picked out.
. Tekins product are extremely smooth and durable been a customer for years have I had a failure (1) Yes but you know what I got it back in 9 days with excellant service no questions asked. This was a older series speedo they had since updated. Every company will have failures if someone says NO failures there blowing smoke up your ass. Service service that's key my current speed has been kicking dirt for years no issues
Old 08-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

I've had issues with the RX8, but it's backed up by Tekins wonderful customer service. The board on mine went out 4 times and they happily replaced it for me.

Will run Tekin as long as I race. The entire staff is very helpful and I see them at a lot of the major races offering support.

Last edited by skengines; 08-25-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Had a different experience with Tekin...

Nice to hear people getting their out of warranty ESCs fixed or replaced for free... but I had an issue with my Tekin RS. The ESC froze during a firmware update. Could not do a hard reset. Called CS and left a message since they were out on lunch, never received a returned call. Sent an email some time later, very late on response but finally they got back to me. So I sent it in (yes, I know Tekin makes it a requirement that you have to provide credit card number for non warranty items).

Later on, got a shipping notice. Thought, oh cool, they must have fixed it. Nope, got a new one instead but they charged my card for replacement cost plus shipping. $90. If they were going to charge my card, at least explain if it was actually my fault or not why the ESC crapped out on me for no reason. Or at least notify me when they were going to charge my card.

Even stated to Tekin that I have 5 Tekin RS's and 2 RX8's. This was my first time sending in anything to Tekin but it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

I've gotten rid of a lot of my Castle stuff to switch over to Tekin, but looks like my next purchase will probably be going back to Castle.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dan I'm sorry you didn't have the stellar experience you were expecting. However I'd like to know who you called. We don't have VM for tech support or service so if you left a message I'd like to know what number you called.

If you'd have liked to be contacted prior to any charges in the future(hopefully you don't need it) simply make a note of that request and we will contact you prior to charging your card.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Had a different experience with Tekin...

Nice to hear people getting their out of warranty ESCs fixed or replaced for free... but I had an issue with my Tekin RS. The ESC froze during a firmware update. Could not do a hard reset. Called CS and left a message since they were out on lunch, never received a returned call. Sent an email some time later, very late on response but finally they got back to me. So I sent it in (yes, I know Tekin makes it a requirement that you have to provide credit card number for non warranty items).

Later on, got a shipping notice. Thought, oh cool, they must have fixed it. Nope, got a new one instead but they charged my card for replacement cost plus shipping. $90. If they were going to charge my card, at least explain if it was actually my fault or not why the ESC crapped out on me for no reason. Or at least notify me when they were going to charge my card.

Even stated to Tekin that I have 5 Tekin RS's and 2 RX8's. This was my first time sending in anything to Tekin but it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

I've gotten rid of a lot of my Castle stuff to switch over to Tekin, but looks like my next purchase will probably be going back to Castle.
I tried Castle and can happily say their service is terrible. I figured I'd give them a chance and put an ESC in my brothers car, but I had some issues from the start. They took 5 days to return an EM and when I called them for assistance, they sounded so unwilling to help. Shows you get what you pay for.

Glad we have companies like Tekin and AMain that actually care about their customers.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I'm sorry, it was a few months ago. I've gathered up some info so my previous statement was not accurate. This was probably early June since I was preparing for a race. I called this number (208) 634-5559. Spoke to a lady, wanted to talk about the ESC issue, but was told by her that the CS reps were out on lunch. No problem, asked for a call back. Went out and bought a brand new RS Pro so I could race that weekend. Didn't follow up until a bit later.

I thought maybe if I emailed and described the problem I was seeing in an email, I could get a response. I checked my email history. 6/29 was when I sent the email to CS ([email protected]). I never received an email response back.

Then I call sometime in early July, finally got a hold of someone. Explained the problem. Knew that it was out of warranty, but ESC was working fine prior to the firmware update. FINALLY received a return authorization number from the gentleman. Week or week and half later, I filled out the form and sent in my ESC. I'll have to dig up my USPS receipt on exact date.

Then I heard nothing new until 7/19, received a USPS shipment notification. Shipped by Sherri.

Again, my previous statement was not true. The above is to the best of my knowledge on the events that occurred.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ozace
I see the original poster is based in the UK. As an Aussie i have found much of the hype and bravado of the US based "customers" does not apply to foreign customers. Shipping costs and time in many cases make warranty worthless. Its just something to consider as a non US paying consumer.
I run a RX8 with T8 1900 in my Cobra and it has been faultless, with plenty of power and smooth. But Tekin stuff is proving hard to get in the UK, with only the RS available and both RX8 and RS Pro having been on back order for some time. I for one would not want to order from overseas and then have little or no CS as the UK importer would not want to be involved.
Perhaps the lack of availability is a temporary thing but you have got to be able to sell the products in the first place or people will look elsewhere.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Badger5
I run a RX8 with T8 1900 in my Cobra and it has been faultless, with plenty of power and smooth. But Tekin stuff is proving hard to get in the UK, with only the RS available and both RX8 and RS Pro having been on back order for some time. I for one would not want to order from overseas and then have little or no CS as the UK importer would not want to be involved.
Perhaps the lack of availability is a temporary thing but you have got to be able to sell the products in the first place or people will look elsewhere.

That's one of the issue's, RCDisco (the UK importer) haven't had them in stock for months. As much as i like to support my local shop i may be forced to buy from the US and not support Uk shops. That in its self will cause issues with no warranty if it goes wrong .

I dont mind it costing that much more, its just if it goes wrong im screwed.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Well, look at it this way: Although some don't care to admit it, many of Orion's esc's are essentially re-badged Hobby wings. Considering Orion is one of the top manufacturers of electronics right now both in sportsman classes (TONS of people around here run them), and with the pros (just look at any results sheet from a major race, usually at least half of them are orions). I have not heard a single bad thing about the Orion 1/8th scale esc's, or their 1/10th scale flagship R10 pro. I believe it is the name associated with the product for some people...

Team Orion:

Hobbywing:

Team Orion:

Hobbywing:
*Although in the 1/10th scale comparison, Hobbywing released theirs later than orion and they have reworked the outside of it.

I am not trying to start an argument, I just think the looks should be enough of an indication of what's going on.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I can't say anything bad about either manufacturers I've used both they're products. So either way you decide you can't go wrong.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Don’t waste your money. Get the Hobby Wing
And here is why.
I used to be a diehard Tekin fan. I am on my 3rd and last Rx8 and I had to pay $94 dollars for them to be replaced. You can get the Hobbywing Xerun150 $99 dollars. I know some people say they did not have to pay for repairs but I and most people I race with did. It was always $94 dollars for us all. The Hobbywing Xerun 150 is just as smooth and I think has a more reliable BEC plus, your fan does not go out so much. I have seen at least once every other week an RX8 catch fire or go up in smoke at our local track. We call it the 94 dollar pop sound. My wife is currently running the RX8 until I replace it with a Xe150. I have been running the Hobbywing for over a year with no issues. Even if Tekin helps you out for free, your still dealing with a possible burn hole in your body, melted ESC tray and the burnt smell that that seems to linger. Not to mention the countless reports of them cutting out when you make a rough landing. I have noticed they last longer with Kyosho Zeal tape. No offense against Tekin, I just simply think racers should be informed there are other options that may be better.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Everyone has their right to share their opinion on the subject. This is the great part of an open free market. You can run whatever you want and choose to pay for it.

What we can say is that when racing at the upper levels our performance and reliability has been proven time and time again. Guys like Adam Drake and Ryan Lutz don't just use it because they have to, they choose to use it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.