Wiki Posts
Search

Blinky poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
out here, it's mod. there is no stock. I ran motorama with same sorta deal you had. 30C Gens Ace, Burned Tekin motor. I qual 19th and was roughly 1 sec a lap off the pace. I had just as much power (more in some cases) as all the "stock guru's", I just wasn't running clean enough. All I did was walk over, ask if my gearing was right (First 17.5 race so wasn't sure) and was told go up 1 tooth. Did that, car was a beast. I ended up blowing up that motor (sorry Chris ) or I would still run it.

And before someone says it, motor blew up because I was doubling up with it and running it in mod, bumped out of my main and it had no time to cool off. Went back on the track over 120deg and came off at a well done 200ish.
Based on that, you can still argue the "blinky is fast enough" side, but I think that blowing up a motor with the gearing you needed to run pokes a hole in the economical part... even doubling up.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would do it too, but not because it's stock... just because it's another big race that I could attend LOL.
I hear ya on that one!

But one of the cool things about a race like this, is that it does separate you by driving skill and sure there's gonna be some sandbaggers that normally run expert but will sportsman because it's a large race. But it's fun to see where your times stand against the fast guys running the same equipment but not competing directly with them and being able to compete with guys more of my caliber which is a true sportsman level. Come on out for the race, it'll be a nice reason to come out to the west coast!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
Electric off road racing has way too many classes and rules that are rooted in the 1980s.
With batteries able to run 15 minutes plus... I have to agree. Why are most still running 5 minute finals and the rest still under 10 minutes?

Back in the day part of it was having car run fast but your battery still lasting 5 minutes... really not a problem now.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
Based on that, you can still argue the "blinky is fast enough" side, but I think that blowing up a motor with the gearing you needed to run pokes a hole in the economical part... even doubling up.
Spec blinky is going to always cost more. You're going to cook motors regularly if you gear them right (or wrong depending on your frame of reference).
Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wait a minute, isnt there stock in the regular nationals?
Stock Nats is something we used to do back in the day. We had so many Mod entries, that you could afford to have a Mod Nats and a Stock nats. You were free to enter them both. I think the only rule was you couldn't finish in the top 20% of the Mod Nats and enter the Stock Nats.

My first big race was 99 Stock Nats in Long Island NY..... Awesome fun

the motor was walking dead. It had a hard life. I just wasn't looking to spend 80 bucks for a motor I would run one race, so I took it. And don't get me wrong, it still spins up fine. Straight speed is still fine. But it lost all low end and mid range power. FWIW, I was coming off under 140 almost every single run. Just coming off at 140, and then going right back out at 120 and running another 6 min, just killed it. I could have probably run that motor another 20 30 times if I let it cool properly LOL.

And my argument all along is that there should be no "stock". Everyone runs mod. If you are faster with a 17.5, run it!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
I hear ya on that one!

But one of the cool things about a race like this, is that it does separate you by driving skill and sure there's gonna be some sandbaggers that normally run expert but will sportsman because it's a large race. But it's fun to see where your times stand against the fast guys running the same equipment but not competing directly with them and being able to compete with guys more of my caliber which is a true sportsman level. Come on out for the race, it'll be a nice reason to come out to the west coast!
Only race I would be heading to Cali for would be the worlds LOL. Since that's not happening any time soon, guess I won't be heading to Cali :P
Old 03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Stock Nats is something we used to do back in the day. We had so many Mod entries, that you could afford to have a Mod Nats and a Stock nats. You were free to enter them both. I think the only rule was you couldn't finish in the top 20% of the Mod Nats and enter the Stock Nats.

My first big race was 99 Stock Nats in Long Island NY..... Awesome fun

the motor was walking dead. It had a hard life. I just wasn't looking to spend 80 bucks for a motor I would run one race, so I took it. And don't get me wrong, it still spins up fine. Straight speed is still fine. But it lost all low end and mid range power. FWIW, I was coming off under 140 almost every single run. Just coming off at 140, and then going right back out at 120 and running another 6 min, just killed it. I could have probably run that motor another 20 30 times if I let it cool properly LOL.

And my argument all along is that there should be no "stock". Everyone runs mod. If you are faster with a 17.5, run it!
Yeah, I remember them being split. My first big race was the 95 mod nats. I think that made more sense. Wasn't there a norcca stock nats with the 36 degree motors too? I was just confused on how there was a separate stock nats with stock being part of the regular one too now. Only one that is different is 4wd buggy, but any stock 4wd is confusing itself.

Sounds like we agree on all mod though. I'm losing track on who's saying what
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The majority is saying that stock is better without timing advance speed controls.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Only race I would be heading to Cali for would be the worlds LOL. Since that's not happening any time soon, guess I won't be heading to Cali :P
I heard that West Coast R/C raceway is getting the IFMAR 1/10 electric off-road worlds for 2013.

Personally I don't care either way about boosted or non-boosted. I just change the esc to whatever track I go race at uses. Problem solved.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brent701
Yes stock class should blinky.
If you can be fast in a stock class you will be fast in a mod class as long as you can handle the power.

Everyone is on this bigger is better/fast trip right now at some of the local tracks I go to. Yet my little 17.5T in my Buggy hands them their a**. People are using a larger motor to make up for the lack of driving skill.

I feel Blinky modes makes it more about the driver and a well setup truck/car. Even than you still have advantages over others in blinkly mode due to motor selection. One 13.5 motor is not the same as another.
Which tracks does this happen at?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Davidka
Most all the racers populating the stock class at the tracks where I race were modified drivers before. We're all having more fun racing 17.5 now and it is certainly no easier to win. We've seen A-mains covered by a 10 second spread in qualifying. B and C were more spread out. There is no B in modified any more.

Dave
Same thing happening here in the N/w already.....

Novice class has just about disappeared though...

Now our stock driver are talking like you , "we are as fast as the mod drivers bull"...

Truth is none can win a Mod A much less bump into the A mod ....

I tell you what happens next Dave ...

Manufactures make a ton of money selling faster & faster 17.5's

Mod & novice dies , stock will be all that's left >>>> C On -road ....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 03-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.