Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
????Will We Ever See A 13.5 4WD Buggy Class???? >

????Will We Ever See A 13.5 4WD Buggy Class????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

????Will We Ever See A 13.5 4WD Buggy Class????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

In New South Wales in Australia we have a 4 round series that visits all the tracks. 4WD Stock is frequently the largest class, more popular than 2WD Stock. (Stock is 17.5 blinky in Aus.)

It's a misconception to think that 4WD Stock is any slower than 2WD Stock, because you can carry a lot more corner speed it is a lot of the time more difficult as you have to be on the power a lot more and there is less room for mistakes. Whereas with 2WD you tend to be on the power more in a straight line, being on the power whilst turning makes the cars more susceptible to ruts. It's a challenging class and produces a lot of close racing.

The biggest RC class in Australia by far is 1/10 Touring Car, and yes the slower 4WD class is the first place those looking at giving offroad a try head.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
In New South Wales in Australia we have a 4 round series that visits all the tracks. 4WD Stock is frequently the largest class, more popular than 2WD Stock. (Stock is 17.5 blinky in Aus.)

It's a misconception to think that 4WD Stock is any slower than 2WD Stock, because you can carry a lot more corner speed it is a lot of the time more difficult as you have to be on the power a lot more and there is less room for mistakes. Whereas with 2WD you tend to be on the power more in a straight line, being on the power whilst turning makes the cars more susceptible to ruts. It's a challenging class and produces a lot of close racing.

The biggest RC class in Australia by far is 1/10 Touring Car, and yes the slower 4WD class is the first place those looking at giving offroad a try head.

AH Thank you.....
Old 12-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Edumkated and cherry have pretty well just put in writing the "un-written" seldom spoken law of REAL RC RACING.... To bad its not a perfect world.
That does not mean you cant have 2 4x4 classes. 10.5 would be the one most would end up wanting to run and its not enough slower than mod speeds to run in a class of its own. Definitly would need a bump out rule for a 10.5 class. Thus leaves 13.5, 13.5 is a good start but not quite exciting enough to last. Booey!
4x4 is pretty much the cream of the crop for full on I want to race you class. Man and Machine may the best man and machine win.

The reason we always have this debate is because some one has a problem with losing. Yeah well take a # and come out driving harder next time.

Ya know what I love about mod racing? No excuses. I ran the best race I could and thats it. Win or Lose. Doesn't matter how fast I am how much motor or even what kit I run, I believe Its the class of racing that makes the racer.

Careful what we wish for is so true indeed.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

Mod has officially become the true spec class where the cars , drivers & motor's are equal...

No wonder it is becoming the most popular class with
more entrees than ever ....
This is not the case in the midwest. Now that tracks are changing to no-timing stock, modified seems to be dwindling. It is still raced for sure but we see ~30% more entries in stock 2wd and SCT than modified on regular club nights.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Davidka
This is not the case in the midwest. Now that tracks are changing to no-timing stock, modified seems to be dwindling. It is still raced for sure but we see ~30% more entries in stock 2wd and SCT than modified on regular club nights.
Not saying much , the mod class's down in Cali is all they run I here .. just jking

Mod around the N/w has been growing quite a bit this year and expecting even more growth as the fastest & most experience drivers only run mod class's locally as a rule .
Old 12-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
the midwest or Wisconsin?
Just a little south of you we're getting a pretty large mod 2wd buggy turnout lately and getting bigger every week and has been the biggest class for about the last month or so (thank God!). then again, our track is big enough to let the mod motors really open up.

by the way, the Jconcepts Indoor Nationals (well, at least the Winter event in St Louis) is offering a sportsman mod 4wd buggy class. "for the less experienced 4wd buggy driver" Interesting. But I think it just dilutes the class. Isnt that what re-sorts are for? The A main guys eventually run with the others and the E main guys get the race each other. It all works out. I never understood why everyone is so scared to run a class that "fast" guys run. You can learn how to get fast driving against them.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

13.5T seems a bit slow for off-road. I received a 5.5T with my car that I'm still running. Even on tight indoor tracks that are 50*30 ft (with the EPA a little bit turned down). I go around the corners very tight and I can make the double's that are just behind the corner. The other with slower motors need to go wider to make the jump.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjk1210
the midwest or Wisconsin?
Just a little south of you we're getting a pretty large mod 2wd buggy turnout lately and getting bigger every week and has been the biggest class for about the last month or so (thank God!). then again, our track is big enough to let the mod motors really open up.

by the way, the Jconcepts Indoor Nationals (well, at least the Winter event in St Louis) is offering a sportsman mod 4wd buggy class. "for the less experienced 4wd buggy driver" Interesting. But I think it just dilutes the class. Isnt that what re-sorts are for? The A main guys eventually run with the others and the E main guys get the race each other. It all works out. I never understood why everyone is so scared to run a class that "fast" guys run. You can learn how to get fast driving against them.
Joliet? I can see that. That track is usually designed around 1/8 racing. 17.5 would be pretty boring.

It has been interesting seeing guys walk away from modified at Trackside even though the track is 2x the size it used to be.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
13.5T seems a bit slow for off-road. I received a 5.5T with my car that I'm still running. Even on tight indoor tracks that are 50*30 ft (with the EPA a little bit turned down). I go around the corners very tight and I can make the double's that are just behind the corner. The other with slower motors need to go wider to make the jump.
13.5 looks pretty fast and fun to me...Check it out it doesn't look boring at all to me what do you think?
I just want to see 4wd buggy be like it use to be but maybe it's just a pipe dream...lol
Maybe when racers get tired of the 4wd Short Course hack feast maybe just maybe they will purchase a agile 4wd buggy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kgSX...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhBF4...e_gdata_player
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03
I saw you bought a B44....
Old 12-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Lord

I like the layout of the second vid.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

13.5 looks pretty fast and fun to me...Check it out it doesn't look boring at all to me what do you think?
I just want to see 4wd buggy be like it use to be but maybe it's just a pipe dream...lol
Maybe when racers get tired of the 4wd Short Course hack feast maybe just maybe they will purchase a agile 4wd buggy.

Yeah that's my home track ir-cr. We usually have enought wheelers to make a descent main. We mostly have club racers with a few "really fast guys" that pop in every once in awhile. The fast guys are running mod motors but they can handle them. A few club guys tried 8:5s but just wound up running slower and went back to 13.5. Ill run a mod in my wheeler when I feel I can handle the power.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Top speed seems good, but it's the bottom end that's lacking with these motors. I just started with onroad racing and bought a 17.5T to 17.5T boosted. Those motors are fast on the straight (60° timing boost), but I miss the punch that they have. I can go flatout while exiting the corner which doesn't make it interesting for me. I prefer something more exciting to drive. With mod motors it's a real challenge to keep the power down.

But yea, maybe there should be a stock class for beginners, although there are some lame ass guys that keep driving slower classes so they can win. They should be banned from it
Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Its lamo cus slow motors are not needed to have fun , 4x4 Sc is a great example and is showing everyone open motor's are the future of the sport ...
There is a big difference though. Most 4wd buggies are 1/10 and they can't take the abuse like sct which are pretty much 1/8th. I agree open motors are the way though.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

At one time when brushed motors were still the rage, I was a big proponent of 19T 4wd 1/10 class. Not too slow as a stock 27T, but not full on mod.

I agree with those who believe that a slower class option can help bring people into it who like a 4wd 1/10 buggy but are concerned about full on mod speeds that are raced.

However, this is really just masking the issue which I believe is that the whole point of all this separation is for skill levels and using motor power is a way to do it without telling a person "Hey, you really should move up". But each track is different. What works as a great limit on one sucks on another.

As for the comparison to nitro which is pretty much everyone together with an engine "limitation" (albeit, some engines are definitely more "equal" than others), I think they are viewed as more easy to drive since they are also a bit bigger than there 1/10 4wd electric counter parts, and the electric ones also can get up to speed a whole lot quicker as well which can make them more difficult to drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.