R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   ????Will We Ever See A 13.5 4WD Buggy Class???? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/581990-will-we-ever-see-13-5-4wd-buggy-class.html)

RED-LINE M03 12-29-2011 07:30 AM

????Will We Ever See A 13.5 4WD Buggy Class????

Will we ever see a 13.5 or 13.5 Booster or maybe 10.5 10th scale 4wd buggy class?????

I would think this would be a great way for the 10th scale on-road touring car racers to get started in off road racing. Plus a great way to build on the 4wd class that's been suffering over the past several years.

I know they started this over in Europe and they lure racers away from on road and more to the off-road scene.

As of now the 4wd touring car racers has to jump into 4wd mod buggy if he chooses to stay with the 4wd platform.

I just think that this would be the best way to move from on road to off road racing and to also maybe spark more of an interest in 4wd buggy.

Let me know what you guys think????

Happy New Year

Davidka 12-29-2011 07:37 AM

There was a 4wd stock class back in the late 80's/early 90's but it dropped off due to lack of interest. 4wd is the best way to take advantage of modified power so I think guys just weren't interested in running stock motors in them.

4wd has had a resurgence with shaft drive cars like the B44, ZX5, etc. It was almost completely dead a few years back. I would be reluctant to offer a stock class if I were a track director because it's not a strong a turnout so dividing it might make it fall away in interest.

thecman26 12-29-2011 07:39 AM

That would be sooo slow.... It wouldn't even be fun to watch! SUPER stock (10.5t) 4WD is really fun though!
Ok 13.5t wouldn't be all that bad!

UN4RACING 12-29-2011 07:53 AM

We had a stock shoot out and the 4x4 just demands more power. 13.5 was tried and it was to slow to for club nights, just not enough excitment. 10.5 is were the best results began with 4x4. 13.5 would work better than a 17.5 if stockers want to do off road 4x4. Most that take the leap and run 4x4 run it to go fast. So the slower class is hard to get going.

17.5 I think will never make it at most tracks its just to slow, sure is easy to drive though... Mod speed is the best race.

gene1219 12-29-2011 08:13 AM

I don't think we'll ever see a stock class wheeler as a legitimate class. It would more be at the discretion of the track director if they would want to implement the class or not. Also it depends on the the size of the track.

One of the tracks I race at I run a 13.5t and it isn't bad at all, since it's such a small track. Another racer that runs wheeler has a 17.5t with timing and he actually had to turn it down a little because it was so fast (again, this is a small track where mod Vs. stock in the same class, the driver with the stock can prevail)

I took my 13.5t wheeler to a much larger track....and it was just flat out WAY too slow. I generally do very well at the small track, but running this slow on the big track was not fun. I did an entire 6 minute heat with 1 or 2 errors like clipping a tube, all the while running nice clean lines with a lot of corner speed. However, just could not keep up. Not that running a faster motor would entail me to crash more, I think the faster motor would have allowed me to be more competitive within reason.

RED-LINE M03 12-29-2011 08:25 AM

Ok maybe a 13.5 boosted entry level 4wd class would be better just as long as you don't have to run in mod 4wd for your first time racing on a dirt track.

Skinny_j 12-29-2011 08:44 AM

We run 13.5 boosted wheeler at ir-cr its about perfect for our track (90x30 ish) the boosted 13.5s are about as quick as a non boosted 10.5. One guy had a 17.5 in his wheeler and was easily running with the 2w mod guys but it definately wasn't as fun to watch

RED-LINE M03 12-29-2011 08:52 AM

Ok changed the title of this thread from 17.5 to 13.5

Sorry for my typo.

tedstryker 12-29-2011 09:24 AM

13.5 ran indoor on a small track 90x45 would be have enough power also alot easier to drive..for me i run a 5.5 in 4wd LAZER my local indoor track is about 90x50. The 5.5 does take some getting use to on a small track. when i travel to an outdoor race...with straights 130 feet the 5.5 is a beast..I'm sure if you get enough guys at your local track to run 13.5 it would be fun.

Wild Cherry 12-29-2011 10:43 AM

13.5 4x4 = lamo

RED-LINE M03 12-29-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry (Post 10095842)
13.5 4x4 = lamo

This is a beginner entry level class for someone to move into from on-road to off road that's never raced on a dirt track before. I know all of you guys want to throw 5.5 in your 4wd and squeeze the trigger as hard as you can...lol

From what I've heard it's worked over in Europe and Australia so why not here in the states. It would be nice to see 4wd 10th buggy as hot as it was back in the day.

A boosted 13.5 4wd buggy would be fast not sure why you would think it's Lamo...:confused:

Or maybe a 10.5 Super Stock 4wd buggy class.

Wild Cherry 12-29-2011 11:29 AM

Its lamo cus slow motors are not needed to have fun , 4x4 Sc is a great example and is showing everyone open motor's are the future of the sport ...

thecman26 12-29-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03 (Post 10095967)
This is a beginner entry level class for someone to move into from on-road to off road that's never raced on a dirt track before. I know all of you guys want to throw 5.5 in your 4wd and squeeze the trigger as hard as you can...lol

From what I've heard it's worked over in Europe and Australia so why not here in the states. It would be nice to see 4wd 10th buggy as hot as it was back in the day.

A boosted 13.5 4wd buggy would be fast not sure why you would think it's Lamo...:confused:

Or maybe a 10.5 Super Stock 4wd buggy class.

Like I said earlier, 10.5 4X4 buggy is pretty fun, just enough speed to be fun but not too much as to be uncontrollable.

RED-LINE M03 12-29-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry (Post 10096025)
Its lamo cus slow motors are not needed to have fun , 4x4 Sc is a great example and is showing everyone open motor's are the future of the sport ...

So you recommend someone that has never raced on dirt or even jumped a buggy or a truck for that matter to run in a class that has open rules on motors.........:confused:

All I'm saying is if they offer multiple classes for 2wd buggy and 2wd truck for the novice why not offer multiple classes for 4wd buggy to make the class more popular for the entry level racer. I would think a 13.5 boosted or 13.5 or 10.5 un-booster class in a 4wd buggy would be a fun class for a entry level racer and a easy transaction for a 4wd onroad racer.... Maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm right.

Davidka 12-29-2011 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry (Post 10096025)

On a 6+lb 4x4 truck with 2s batteries, sure. On a 3.25lb buggy with the same battery? Not so much..

Slower classes are almost solely responsible for digging this hobby back up from the dead over and over again.

To the OP, 4x4 off-road is not appealing at an entry level class because of the cost and complexity of the cars, as well as it's existence as a modified only class today. On-road guys coming over to off-road don't really qualify as beginners, even if they haven't driven off-road. Most buy a 2wd buggy (that I've seen) and start there, and they usually get up to speed quickly.