Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Tire Removal Formula?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm with the majority, acetone in a sealed paint tin, keep the tyre out of the acetone and let the fumes do the work.

Originally Posted by racer1812
I'm with you on this. I can see trying to save a good tire if you mess up the rim for some reason but other than that my tires stay on until they're done, saving the rim and the foam being the main goal..imo
+1, i have always cut the tyre down the middle to remove the foam, then soaked (well not soaked but fumigated) the rim / tyre.

but some people like tuning handling / grip with different foams, so they may be removing tyres to change the foams, in which case you want to keep it all.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I use the fume method and it works fine. It will turn your gold barcodes into little black lifesavers though.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
I'm with you on this. I can see trying to save a good tire if you mess up the rim for some reason but other than that my tires stay on until they're done, saving the rim and the foam being the main goal..imo

I agree with this. id also like to add....from my experience.... if you dont submerge the tire in the acetone it will release the tire, but not get all of the sticky glue residue off. if they are submerged then ALL the glue will come off the wheel and it will look nearly new again
Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

I use the Acetone soak method with nothing but success. Cut tire from rim, fill 9X12 disposable foil baking pan with 1 inch of acetone, soak for 24 hours foil covered. The rubber damn near falls off the rim. If there are any stubborn spots, I simply use fresh acetone and re soak. When done I scrub the rims with warm water and mild detergent.

Hey Moderators, how about "The Official Removing Tires from Rims Thread". You could consolidate all the info on this subject into one thread.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nogas
I'm with the majority, acetone in a sealed paint tin, keep the tyre out of the acetone and let the fumes do the work.

but some people like tuning handling / grip with different foams, so they may be removing tyres to change the foams, in which case you want to keep it all.
When my off-road tires are too worn for off-road I use them on street cars. That usually necessitates replacing the worn liners. I use old truck liners in buggy tires to make them firmer for street running. So I need to save all components also (except at times the wheel).
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jpm1
Preheat your oven to 250.
Wrap tires in foil.
Switch oven off, place tires inside oven.
Remove after 20 minutes.
Go to garage before removing from foil to avoid abuse from wife....
Pull tires off wheels (be careful may be still hot to touch).
Let cool.
Remove old glue from tires/wheels.
You will need to purchase new foams but both wheels/tires will be fine........
All done, now go fill your bourbon as this process will have taken approximately one drink to successfully complete
+1 for this method so easy and never a problem

just remember we are talking 250 deg C not F

have used this with anything from 1/10th buggy tyres rught up to 1/8th truggy tyres all with no problems at all
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My 'Tire Removal Station' it cost less than $10, acetone included!
Acetone under those holes and let the fumes do the work!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I remember somewhere, the mention that a small hole punched in the lid of your acetone container is necessary. I hear no mention of that here? Is that not true?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Here. I took these pics a while ago in order to make a "how to" thread. Finally did it after seeing this question come up again.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-step-how.html
Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpraydbySprague
I use the Acetone soak method with nothing but success. Cut tire from rim, fill 9X12 disposable foil baking pan with 1 inch of acetone, soak for 24 hours foil covered. The rubber damn near falls off the rim. If there are any stubborn spots, I simply use fresh acetone and re soak. When done I scrub the rims with warm water and mild detergent.

Hey Moderators, how about "The Official Removing Tires from Rims Thread". You could consolidate all the info on this subject into one thread.
I have a better idea how about "Removing Tires from Rims, Official Thread"

It's getting super annoying to find anything these days, everything starts with "The Official", I wish they would put it at the end of the title, it's so dumb the other way.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1
I remember somewhere, the mention that a small hole punched in the lid of your acetone container is necessary. I hear no mention of that here? Is that not true?
I had acetone in a sealed paint can (new, clean can from Home Depot). I noticed it was puffing slightly one day. I opened the lid and it basically exploded off and shot acetone everywhere.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1
If you do the acetone will evaporate faster. A vent is not necessary. Consider: the containers in which acetone is sold are not vented.

Originally Posted by klaymon
I had acetone in a sealed paint can (new, clean can from Home Depot). I noticed it was puffing slightly one day. I opened the lid and it basically exploded off and shot acetone everywhere.
Best to remove it slowly, keeping the can upright, and this would not happen. Also, any agitation of the container will increase its internal pressure, kind of like shaking a soda can before opening it.

I use Tupperware containers for the acetone when removing tires. I found the lids would spontaneously pop off from the vapor pressure of the acetone. Now I use heavy metal plates to hold down the lids (the steel plates that the railroad spikes go into - I found some that were being replaced during maintenance of a local rail line). If using plastic containers you could also use a piece of wood and a brick.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1
I have a better idea how about "Removing Tires from Rims, Official Thread"

It's getting super annoying to find anything these days, everything starts with "The Official", I wish they would put it at the end of the title, it's so dumb the other way.
Yes that would make it much cleaner
Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you dont seal the container the acetone will evaporate in no time. Maybe some of you like watching your money evaporate into thin air but not me.

I bought 1L and its done 4 sets of wheels (2 truggy and 2 buggy) and i've still got 500ml left in the bottle.

If you are only doing 1 set of wheels at a time in an unsealed container you'd probably be spending almost as much money on acetone as it would cost to buy a new set of rims

If the sealed tin is exposed to high temps (or temp variations) then naturally its going to expand / contract. I keep mine in the bottom of the cupboard in the garage and its never expanded much at all.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BuckMan
I have had very good success with acetone in a bucket, like was mentioned before, make sure you use a sealed bucket, and also, I have noticed that the rims that aren't sitting right in the acetone seem to de-bond faster. I am guessing that the vapor from the acetone is more effective on the glue rather than sitting directly in the acetone. Of course, you have to be patient with this process as well, give them at lest a good 24 hours in the bucket. If the remaining rubber has not let go completely, peel what you can so as to let more of the vapor underneath the bead.

In all honesty, I have seen the glue de-bond in as little as 4 hours, but I have seen it take as long as 3 days as well.
Just joined men and was looking for advice on this subject, glued some lovely treads on Losi Tenscte wheels that come with truck ( what a mistake ) if I would of thought on I'd of bought some others they cracked across spokes... This method looks best for me dont want to boil and damage foams at all and you mentioned the fumes work best brill bit of info..Thanks