Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire Removal (Step By Step, How To)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Tire Removal (Step By Step, How To)

I often come across threads asking the same question about tire removal. So, the last time I did a set of mine, I took a few pics to show how to do it with ease. This is my method and it works for me.....

First, use a utility knife and cut the old tire off. Discard tire carcass and foam. Don't cut yourself!

Next, place the wheels in a bucket of acetone. I put about 2 inches in a 2.5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid.

The acetone evaporates real fast so you want to make sure the bucket is sealed tight. Let the wheels sit for at least 24 hours. I usually wait about 2 days before I pull mine out.

After 24-48 hours, pull the wheels from the bucket and peel away.

These wheels are straight out of the acetone (48 hour soak) with no scrubbing of additional glue. As you can see, they're ready for use right away.

Make sure to put the lid back on the bucket. Next time you need to remove tires, just use the dirty acetone that's already in there!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

This is great and all but a lot of people want to be able to save the tires also, and these tires don't look like they can be reused.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoccerSting
This is great and all but a lot of people want to be able to save the tires also, and these tires don't look like they can be reused.
BULLS%&T!!!! I will run those bad boys!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Wow thats easy !

If the tires are old and worn out why whould you want to use them again thats the point of what he was doing.
For racing im talking about.

I have truggy tires so thats a great thing to do saves $$.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Thats awesome man, thanks! I have thought for a while that there should be a "How To" section in these forums for newer guys.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 AM
Tech Adept

tjek URC.com he got a nice video on it and u can leave out ´cutting the tiers up and reuse them again
Old 10-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Good how to. I would reuse those foams though. Good closed cell foams will last a long time and are also expensive. You can get tires without the foams for cheaper than with the foams. If you are cutting the tire off anyway save those bad boys. If you don't want to save the foams I wouldn't bother cutting the tires off. The acetone will work just as good without cutting them but closed cell foams soaked in acetone swell to about 5 times their original size. I have seen it!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Nice job CHIZZLE...
Old 10-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

If you are trying to save the tires or foams, you can use the same method, but elevate them from not touching the liquid and the vapors will still react with the glue and you will be able to remove them. I use a smaller container from walmart like a a salad container that has a raised insert in the bottom.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I had just bought new tires and mounted them on 2wd wheels. Then decided to run 4wd instead. I threw the whole tire in and let soak overnite in acetone. Popped em off and reused tires and inserts. No problem.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teambcw
BULLS%&T!!!! I will run those bad boys!!!
lmfao
Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I always cut my tires off first because it allows the acetone to penetrate from both sides of the beads. Plus, it allows fours wheels to sit down in the acetone at the same time. I've tried the elevated method without cutting the tires off but it doesn't work near as good. With that you still have clean the bead of glue remnants and it takes a longer soak before they start to peel off. With the above method, they literally fall off when you pull them out of the bucket.

And if you're careful with the knife, the foams can be reused no problem.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default tires

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Wow thats easy !

If the tires are old and worn out why whould you want to use them again thats the point of what he was doing.
For racing im talking about.

I have truggy tires so thats a great thing to do saves $$.
The point sometimes is to save the tire. Sc10 wheels use bearings or pins. Most new SCs use hex mount. If you can re use perfectly good tires your saving $18-20 bucks a pair!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Nice how-to, Chizzle.

Personally, I've always boiled my tires off. 2 hours and the superglue is gone. You just have to watch and make sure the water doesn't boil off. Otherwise perfectly reuseable tires/wheels.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Just did the soak

Old thread, I know, but I did just soak my tires in Accetone and wanted to give an update. I put four tires in a pan, then I poured a bag of blue aquarium rocks on the tires, then I poured in Accetonento the top of the tires. I put wood on top of the container. After 24 hrs I was able to remove one side and remove the inserts. Soaking again to get the other side free.

Tires: AKA Rebars
Foams: Red AKA foams
Wheels: AKA wheels
Old CA looks to be black, got these in a trade and the glue started cracking

AKA red foams did not react to the Accetone, but they were also dry when I took them out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.