Wiki Posts
Search

stick radios, why or why not ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default stick radios, why or why not ?

so 15-20 years ago I saw Masami drive with a stick radio using his feet and it didn't seem to slow him down.....
Seriously, looking at the drivers stand of top euro and asian events you see a lot of stick radios but rarely see any here in the US. I'm curious... Why?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Suspended

Comparatively, how many euros have won world championships?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's because of the drivers' stands over there. The roof is lower.

I bought a stick radio about three months ago thinking it was "the secret weapon". You have to re-program yourself that when the car gets sideways you have to bring it back rather than let up on the wheel.

I attempted to buy a good stick radio in 1993 because I thought they were better, but was dismayed by the $600 tx only price tag. I still think they have a better sense of proportion, but me unlearning a wheel radio at this point might be like Helio Castro Neves learning how to left foot brake - might be in his best interest, might take a season of track time, not going to happen.

I should sell this radio ASAP before I try to drive with it again.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
It's because of the drivers' stands over there. The roof is lower.
What does that have to do with anything?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Lol, I wondered this too
Old 10-14-2011, 06:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I saw Masami do that as well in Florida at the winterchamps. I think it is purely personal preference. The sticks are popular in Europe, so that is what folks start out with. Hard to change once you get used to one. I tried my hand at airplanes and the stick radio felt completely foreign to me, but I'm sure someone who learned with a stick radio would not feel comfortable with a wheel radio.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I believe the wheel/trigger radio is superior regardless of what you're used to. The trigger can be operated more accurately than a stick, ditto the wheel. It's also more intuitive.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I believe the wheel/trigger radio is superior regardless of what you're used to. The trigger can be operated more accurately than a stick, ditto the wheel. It's also more intuitive.
Agreed !
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Try one, you will see why we dont use them. I started with a stick radio then got a MagumJr when they first came out and have never looked back.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

My guess would be that they are comfortable with them. To say one type of radio is better than the other is sort of foolish and not thought out. It's driver preference. Why one set-up vs another? Why one tire vs another tire? Their was a guy at my local track that ran a stick radio for off road and did just fine. Actually he was a strong competitor in the class he ran. I haven't seen him in a little while but i don't think it's because of his radio. A stick radio is similar to playing ps3, literally. it works but you have to get used to it.

The only feasible reason i could see someone using a stick radio over the wheel and trigger is driver preference.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaycerc
What does that have to do with anything?
Back when we ran 75 or 27mhz that had two or three foot long antenna attached to the transmitter, if you were on a covered drivers stand, it mattered a lot if the transmitter antenna was pointed up (and hit the roof) or forward.

Like this guy:

At least thats what the guys from overseas said when I asked them 20 years ago why they didn't use wheel radios at big races. Most of those guys said that the drivers stands over there had a roof that was barely over your head.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Prophet

why dont i use a stick radio to me it seems like it whould be hard to control if your racing offroad i think i whould break off the sticks on it lol.

Using it for onroad racing seems much easier .

Oh yea the long antenna whould be a issue the stick radios whould get in the way also and the drivers whould complain they cant see with the long antenna
Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

I fly and drive trucks so for me I am used to both controllers. But just for fun My buddy and I ran my Rustler on the Flight controller. Even though I am used to it is a foreign operation it didn't , for me anyway, transfer verry well.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

I grow up in England and raced stick only. I tried after 6 year of racing to switch to wheel but it was no good. It felt like i was starting all over again.

Now i live in the USA and it is a total pain in the butt. I would much rather use a steer wheel because its hard to get a stick here. I had to buy a new one as i could not find a good used one.

The 2.4 makes things much easier.

The worst is the very weird looks i get when i go on the drivers stand (rostrum as we used to call it). They think i am a total beginner all the time because of it.

I just odered a 2.4 futaba 3GR which are not too hard to get now. But 5 years ago i ordered my favorite KO Espirit stick and i could only get it here in 27meg and not 75. Also i had to contact KO USA to find one. In England we use 40meg rather than 75.

I have another British friend in the USA that races and he has tried to switch to steerwheel to but just cant make the switch. We both think they look way nicer than the sticks but it would set us back at least a year to get we we were.

The 2.4 is making things much much easier now though.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

That picture up top is cool. I used to live near the Schumacher factory and in England!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.