Wiki Posts
Search

stick radios, why or why not ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I believe the wheel/trigger radio is superior regardless of what you're used to. The trigger can be operated more accurately than a stick, ditto the wheel. It's also more intuitive.
Those euros are used to sticks but I'm with you, a wheel is more intuititive.
Originally Posted by badassrevo
Try one, you will see why we dont use them. I started with a stick radio then got a MagumJr when they first came out and have never looked back.
My first radio was a wheel back in 1983, an MRC with the battery pack on the hip with a cord going to the wheel portion in your hand. Many moons ago grasshopper. Since then Iv'e been an Airtronics guy and still am.
Originally Posted by CraigMBA
You have to re-program yourself that when the car gets sideways you have to bring it back rather than let up on the wheel.
never let go of the wheel, you can't expect the car to right itself
Originally Posted by Brit_racer
I grow up in England and raced stick only. I tried after 6 year of racing to switch to wheel but it was no good. It felt like i was starting all over again.
I have another British friend in the USA that races and he has tried to switch to steerwheel to but just cant make the switch.
thanks for the reply Brit_racer thats the only decent reason I could think of myself.

And yes 2.4 is light years ahead just like lipos and brushless. You noobs have no idea how easy you have it.
As for the long antennaes... super irritating when the driver next to you turns his whole body left and right when racing and pokes you up the nose...
STOP THAT, AND QUIT LEANING SO FAR FORWARD....
Heres a tip, is your car "twitchy" ? put a foam around the wheel to increase the diameter. Or in my case leftover tread from some Enduros I narrowed for the front of my SCB.

this hobby is so much fun.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

How do you drive your daily driver, with a wheel? Thought so.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
never let go of the wheel, you can't expect the car to right itself
That's not what I ment, but that's what I implied when I wrote. Let me try again.

If you are used to how a wheel radio centers when you start to release pressure that turns it by letting up with your thumb and forefinger, it's not as intuitive to bring a stick radio back, particularly if you are using just your thumb on the stick.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I love my stick radio and I am in the states. Unlike others I feel this is more intuitive than a wheel radio but it is just a matter of preference. I had my stick radio modified so it is more like a video game controller. Stick radios come with right thumb steering but not mine. I think I have better control with a stick radio. I went back to a wheel radio briefly but I definitely prefer a stick radio now. It is set up like my xbox control so every time I play forza it is like I am getting practice rc racing.

Here are a couple pictures. This is a picture just showing the radio.

And here is another picture of me holding it in my hands. See! It is like a video game controller now.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ThunderbirdJunkie has tried stick radios with surface, and he just can't (or won't?) do it.

With helis and airplanes, he has no problems with his DX7SE, but surface stuff? Forget it.

His first radio was a Futaba Magnum Jr. (2PCKA?) so that's probably got a lot to do with it.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

when I bought my first rc car,they did not have anything other than the stick radios.At least back then the hobby shop that I bought from did not carry them. So pretty much got used to it.Then I got caught up with some teenage stuff and when I decide to get back into rc '''POOF'' there was the wheel remotes of today.It was hard adjusting to them ,but that's because I was used to the other way. Also I am not lefty but cant drive my rc cars any other way other than lefty.I think it had to do with the way my stick radio was configured.I call this condition that I appear to suffer from: ''GGLR'' (Gotta Get a Lefty Remote) syndrome.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Lets get to the real point here, if ur using a stick radio at an rc car/ truck event, u look like a douchbag!!! Period doesnt matter if they work good or not lol
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Back when we ran 75 or 27mhz that had two or three foot long antenna attached to the transmitter, if you were on a covered drivers stand, it mattered a lot if the transmitter antenna was pointed up (and hit the roof) or forward.

At least thats what the guys from overseas said when I asked them 20 years ago why they didn't use wheel radios at big races. Most of those guys said that the drivers stands over there had a roof that was barely over your head.
Back in the prehistoric days even stick controllers had long antennas just like wheeled controllers of the era. I think you are confused, because the pictures you have posted are from a more modern era where shorty 2.4gig antennas and radios are being used. Which is the right way or more popular where to me is like what side of the road you drive on. Doesn't make either right or wrong, just different.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NoRookie
Back in the prehistoric days even stick controllers had long antennas just like wheeled controllers of the era. I think you are confused, because the pictures you have posted are from a more modern era where shorty 2.4gig antennas and radios are being used. Which is the right way or more popular where to me is like what side of the road you drive on. Doesn't make either right or wrong, just different.
Yeah, but you don't hold a stick radio with a three foot antenna straight up. The antenna points forward.

Forward:

Up (look at the guy one over from the far right):

As I understand it, this is/was the origin of why the non US drivers used stick radios. With 2.4ghz radios the antenna is a non issue, so transmitter choice is strictly drivers preference having nothing to do with the roof of the drivers stand.

I saw Matt Francis practicing with a stick radio at a carpet race in like 2005 "just to try it" Took him about six laps to go just as fast as he did with the wheel radio.

Last edited by CraigMBA; 10-16-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rickybobbyxxx
Lets get to the real point here, if ur using a stick radio at an rc car/ truck event, u look like a douchbag!!! Period doesnt matter if they work good or not lol
Old 10-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Addict

Double face palm is awesome, sorry for all hating on stick radios but i actually saw some guy using one last night at the races and it had me crackin up!!!! And yes he had that thing around his neck clipped too it, just looked like a real tool
Old 10-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

If your faster with a stick radio than with a pistol radio, use it...Dont care what people think or tell you...Just watch their face when you pass 'em...

Racer53
Old 10-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Actually I'm like TBJunkie.

I'm a dud with sticks while racing ground vehicles, but I do well with my planes (DX3C and DX6i)
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Double face palm is awesome, sorry for all hating on stick radios but i actually saw some guy using one last night at the races and it had me crackin up!!!! And yes he had that thing around his neck clipped too it, just looked like a real tool
I bet you won't tell that to masami he will outdrive anyone with a stick radio and using his feet!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Gotta disagree on the tool part. They were used in the early days of r/c, where as the newer generation is introduced to the wheel. As said before big in Europe too. If it works for him why hate/diss him, weere all in the same hobby. But judging the dude and calling him a douchebag for it, only makes you the real tool.
-pce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.